Action “From the Tree” 2012

• kevin_sahly
    maple grove,mn

After sitting from dark to dark Friday w/out seeing a single deer, I finally had a young 8pt come thru 30 ft from stand last night @ 4pm, another young 8 came thru at 5:50pm passed on both but got good video footage. 2 does crashed thru behind me this am at 7:45. I was sure something was hot on their trail, but nothing? Hopefully gonna be exciting day. Not much shooting up in merrifield yesterday or this am so far compared to normal years.

Jon Stevens
    Northfield, Wi

Two does so far today. Heard a buck doggin a doe but couldn’t see them. He was doing plenty of grunting though.

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

Slept in this morning and decided to do another midday hunt

wild_thang
    Minnesota

Well, after tracking him for 4 hours, I guess my shot wasn’t as good as I thought. BUMMER! Bob and I looked for 4 hours and never found him so we finally stopped looking. Try again tonight.

thinkeyes
    Fairfax, IOWA

Quote:

In a stand that I have named “the waiting game” stand. I have spent countless days here with little to no action. But I have also shot my 3 biggest deer here. So I pull my bow up at 550 and turn around to see a little buck staring right at me

“Waiting game” stand payed off. Nice 9 down! Pics and story to follow.

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

I’ve seen 5 bucks starting at 12:10 . One shooter 9 pt. Waiting to see if he comes through before dark

flatlandfowler
    SC/SW MN

Congrats Jake! Look forward to the pics

Back in the stand for the evening. Morning was real slow, hoping it picks up like last night.

codycroteau
    La Crosse, WI

not a deer to show this afternoon…

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Just had a heavy racked buck come by at 40 yd’s …to dark to shoot.he headed straight to the bedding area

kevin_sahly
    maple grove,mn

We had one if the strangest things happen yesterday. My nephew shot a doe broadside & must have hit a lung. After waiting 45 min, he got in the trail, which looked like a crime scene. He followed it about 200 yds & it took a 90 turn straight into Mississippi River. He couldn’t believe it, & was sure it would be lost. He happen to scan the bank on the other side & sure enough there it lie dead. The section of river it crossed was about 150 yds w/ fairly strong current. Unbelievable that it was able to swim straight across while bleeding out. After a sweaty canoe recovery mission, he returned w/his prize! It seemed strange that the deer would take that option to try to get away.

Jon Stevens
    Northfield, Wi

Nice day again. Hunting public ground I have never been on. Walked in while it was dark guided only by a map on my phone. Had a spike walk right under me before I even knocked an arrow. That gives me some hope!

todders
    Shoreview, MN

This is my second favorite day of the year to be in the woods Set up in a box blind overlooking 3 roads of winter wheat in some very thick bedding. I have seen 5 does and fawns so far and it has been six years to the day since I have harvested a mature buck….it’s go time!

Jon Stevens
    Northfield, Wi

Another new spot on public. Seems I found a honey hole. 5 bucks 2 does 2 fawns. One shooter at 35yds for over an hour but no shooting lane. Regardless if I shoot something or not; I am stoked about all the encounters.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I posted this in the rut post earlier but I thought I would post it here too…….

I had the coolest thing happen to me Sunday afternoon around 1PM I grunted in a 2.5 year old 8 point to within 17.5 yards of me, he came straight to me from 75 yards out like he was on a string! He then proceeded to make a scrape right there in front of me, then he came closer up to the fence line, the fence is about 15′ from my tree, he stopped and raked some brush with his antlers and then proceeded to the fence and instead of jumping over it he limboed his way under the fence! The bottom wire is about 2.5 feet off the ground, last year I had a smaller racked buck go under the fence in the exact same spot, I am thinking it could be the same buck as last year. After he went under the fence he walked right under my tree and made another scrape 20 yards behind me. I was really kicking myself that I did not have my camera out of my back pack as I could have got some very good footage, it was one of the neatest things I have seen in the deer woods. Oh yea and I let him walk maybe I will see him again next year.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Had this guy come to my stand tonight and check out his scape and licking branch I was hoping the big boy was following him but no such luck.

Jon Stevens
    Northfield, Wi

Dead calm. No deer just squirrels bringing full cobbs of corn in off the field 250yds away.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Sat last night with my good buddy, he missed a nice doe. Had a great sit this AM. Several deer spotted but none within bow range. In a ground bldnd now with jeff again spotted a 150 plus here yesterday. Wind is howling. W

kooty
    Keymaster

Back in the box blind. Looking for a baldy. Stiff north wind today. Last day before the cold front arrives.

kooty
    Keymaster

One doe down. One to go.

jason_ramthun
    Byron MN

Quote:

One doe down. One to go.

Great job killa

kooty
    Keymaster

It’s a very nasty morning. But my tags are filled!!!!! What a week.

todders
    Shoreview, MN

The beginning of 4 more days in bc before the guns go off. Sitting midway up an inside corner of an oak ridge and have seen 2 does and a fawn so far. Big boys are dropping all over the Midwest despite the warm and stable weather…there is hope!

kevin_sahly
    maple grove,mn

Sitting in tree w/ pouring rain sure doesn’t seem like it will be productive, but I guess it’s better than sitting in office!

wild_thang
    Minnesota

Well, sitting here this morning and it’s very windy but no rain. So far I have seen 5 does and a fork horn buck, so they are moving in this weather. Hopefully more will show up

Jon Stevens
    Northfield, Wi

Have only seen two deer in the last two days. Both were little bucks that walked exactly where I want their grandfather to walk. I’ve been having some serious back and shoulder spasms yesterday and today. Hope to gut it out and get in another full day sit.

mitch_otto

Just got settled in! Setup on lil water home hoping this heat brings the boys in for a lil drink! My bro seen some chasing going on this am here so well see what happens!

flatlandfowler
    SC/SW MN

3 does so far. Way too warm here but the cold front tomorrow looks promising.

Jon Stevens
    Northfield, Wi

For those of you smart enough to stay on the couch…it is still raining….one fork horn so far.

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

This has got to be the coldest 31 degrees that I have Ever hunted! The rain and snow have stopped but the wind is a killer we have had deer pushed by us all day . I’ll be glad when the guns are back in the house where they belong

flatlandfowler
    SC/SW MN

Amazing what 24 hours can do. Walk to the stand yesterday it was nearly 70, hovering around freezing now. Hoping the cold weather has them on their feet regardless of the terrible wind. One doe eating turnips as I type.

Viewing 30 posts - 151 through 180 (of 240 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.