Ups & Downs

• johnsy
    Mantorville, Mn

Well this year has been a tough one. It started off with me in the hospital for about 6 wks and now I’m at the tail end of a divorce. So I’ve been patiently waiting for bow opener. Like many of you I couldn’t wait to get in a tree again just the right therapy I needed. So it’s opening day. Dad and I thought we’d split up and hunt different properties. So at about 7:30 I get a text he’a got a doe down, sweet. Then I had 2 button buck fawns walk right under my stand. The big doe just wouldn’t cooperate and circled around me through the brush. So after all the action I thought I’d pull my bow back and see how it felt. I usually do this right when I get in the stand but didn’t for some reason. So I pull back my Mathews DXT and right when I go to release it back down my string breaks and all the pressure goes right into my bottom limb and snaps it. I couldn’t believe it. So I take it back to the archery shop where I bought it. Luckily they stand behind there bows and I only have to pay for the string but it’s not going to be til Wed. Well whatever I got to thinking I still have my 15 yr. old High Country bow. So I shot it and felt gd 0 to 20 yds. So on Monday night I end up taking this doe. She came in with 2 bigger fawns and gave me a nice 15 yd shot. The rage put her right down. I think she got hit by a car because she was limping pretty hard on her back leg. So I was glad to take her. Best of luck to everyone ow yeah I got my bow back and she’s all sighted in

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

No doubt life has handed us all our share of junk to deal with. I think back at some of my lowest points and one constant has always been a few friends who have the passion for the outdoors like me. I really think spending time in the duck blind, tree stand, goose pit or whatever it may be has solidified those relationships. As we age, I think we all come to realize that time in the outdoors is therapeutic, if not religious.

Great job on the doe with the old trusty. Good luck the rest of the fall. I heard some great stories about you at bear camp. I hope we can share a camp together in the future.

JacobNohner

Congrads on the doe! I just shot my old bow, man did that feel good

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Congrats on the doe Justin!

No dought life throws us it shares of ups and downs, thank goodness for our time in the outdoors it is the best therapy there is. Sounds like you are back on the path of good things to come!

thinkeyes
    Fairfax, IOWA

Yep pretty amazing the therapy that the outdoors can do. At my lowest points in life having some good buddies to fish or hunt with always seems to bring me right back up. Congrats on the deer and wishing a quick climb back to the top!!

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

congrats on the deer>
    6wks in the sick house? Hope all’s better now>
    Hope she doesn’t want your bowbut sorry to hear of the big ‘D’>
    You bring up a great point~how long should one expect the bow string to last? Mine is 3 year old and looks great, no fraying….

gobbler
    Central, MN

Way to stick with it. There are many times during our lives that challenge our integrity. It could be good or bad? Yet faith, family, friends and the outdoors always brings us back to what is important.

I wish you the best as you face the upcoming challenges. Congrats on a great doe!!

scottb.
    Southeast, MN

Quote:

Yep pretty amazing the therapy that the outdoors can do. At my lowest points in life having some good buddies to fish or hunt with always seems to bring me right back up. Congrats on the deer and wishing a quick climb back to the top!!

X2 sorry to hear about your troubles, shooting that doe is the start of your climb back to the top of the mountain!

jason_ramthun
    Byron MN

Quote:

Quote:

X2 sorry to hear about your troubles, shooting that doe is the start of your climb back to the top of the mountain!

Well said Congrats Justin on a great doe and I hope you know you can stop or call anytime if needed

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Sometimes we need to hit rock bottom in order to realize what life is like to be back on top and appreciate all the things that are important to us – family, friends and our passion for the outdoors. Congrats on your doe Justin and I believe it’s a sign for better things to come.

dylan_w.
    La Crosse, WI

Congrats on the doe and to your father

I feel the same as you, when it’s rough i need my tree stand therapy!

lick

Atta boy Justin !

travis_eckman
    Trempealeau County, WI

Congrats on the nice doe and I hope all goes well for you during your hardships. To me, there’s nothing better than finding serenity within nature – sounds like you find that also!

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Like others have said, really sorry to hear about the recent troubles. Even if you’re not on the mend just yet, both physically and mentally, I’ll echo the comments made by others about what good “medicine” the outdoors is. Keep your chin up and focus on the positives as best you can, good luck, and never hesitate to call on an IDO brethren now and again!

Joel

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.