Weird deer behavior

• ShawnJ
    Oak Grove, MN

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2003/10/15/rowdy_deer_an_unwelcome_browser_in_store/
    Here’s a story about a deer inside some guy’s clothing store. My question is: What are some weird things you’ve seen deer do? Or other critters in the woods. I saw a grey fox chase a squirrel up a tree. The fox made it about 10 feet up. More cat than canine. 3 weeks ago I saw a yearling doe pawing apart a fallen birch. The birch was rotted and I imagine it was trying to get it’s fill of mushrooms before MossyDan got to them. Probably wandered off in search of some turtles afterwards. (Just busting your chops Dan. I hunt morrels in the spring. I still have leatherback stink on my hands from cattin’, so I can’t imagine what a turtle would taste like) Gotta work this weekend, so I’m looking to kill time reading your stories.

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Shawn a few years back I was in my tree stand bow hunting and seen something that was very neat.It was in late December and there was a nice snowfall coming down.About 50 yards out from my stand I seen 2 yearlings stand up on their back legs and spare with each other.This went on for about 10 minutes and was very fun to watch these 2 play-just like a couple kids!!
    Ryan Hale

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Shawn a few years back I was in my tree stand bow hunting and seen something that was very neat.It was in late December and there was a nice snowfall coming down.About 50 yards out from my stand I seen 2 yearlings stand up on their back legs and spare with each other.This went on for about 10 minutes and was very fun to watch these 2 play-just like a couple kids!!
    Ryan Hale

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

One afternoon I was walking over to the area where I take pictures of deer at and seen a doe and a really young fawn walking down the railroad tracks away from me. The fawn was about two months old and couldn’t have weighed more than a 25 pound sack of potatoes. I seen the fawn turn to the left and the doe kept going away not looking back for her fawn. I suppose it would teach the fawn to stay close once it realizes it shouldn’t have wandered away. Well anyway I setup my tripod and camera right in the middle of a bush with my photoagraphers stool under my posterior right by a nice exit trail where the deer leave thier daytime cover to graze in the meadow at night. I had a grunt call around my neck in case i needed it, and turned to the right looking through the limbs and seen something walking, it was Shane looking for mushrooms coming up the tracks just a whistling and it looked like he was having a real good time. Then i realized it wasen’t, only a switchman. WOW this is a great site. Well back to he story. I did see something walking in and it was that fawn so i grunted and it came right for me. I had my 200 mm lens in and it was too close to get a picture so i switched to my 35-70mm and still had to let it walk out a little farther. Too tell you how close this fawn was by the time i changed lenses, when it walked in front of me I could have petted it with my hand and I wouldn’t have had to lean over to do it. One more step to its left and it would have been in my lap. Its feet were about 2 ft from mine, and i could have touched the ground on the other side of it with a broomstick with no problem, this is no kidding! It was making a crying sound something like a kitten makes when it meows lightly. It was lost and trying to find its mother. It was a real faint sound that I couldn’t hear 10 ft from me only right in front of me. It wanted to walk away and I grunted lightly sounding like a doe then it stayed around infront of me and I got about 10 photos of it. It would start to walk away and i’d grunt and it would come right up in front of me again, within 10 ft. My darned scanner program isn’t doing what its suppose to do so i can’t post the pictures. Im working on it. It stayed around to my grunting for about 10 minutes then I thought i’d better let it go find its mother. It went back the way it came looking for its mother I suppose. Heres another short one. I was all camoed up and waiting for the turkeys to return too roost that late afternoon and here they came. About 30 of them. I had my 35-70mm lens in and i started taking photos of thier heads, soom out and get the whole body. I knew they were going to be just beautiful quality pictures with the sun reflecting off thier feathers, field and stream quality stuff. I got into about 20 photos and i couldn’t feel any resistance on my finger when i advanced the film for the next shot. I thought boy i’d better have film in this camera. After the turkeys left i opened the camera up an NO FILM!, MAN did i blow it. Oh well theres another day and reason to go again.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

One afternoon I was walking over to the area where I take pictures of deer at and seen a doe and a really young fawn walking down the railroad tracks away from me. The fawn was about two months old and couldn’t have weighed more than a 25 pound sack of potatoes. I seen the fawn turn to the left and the doe kept going away not looking back for her fawn. I suppose it would teach the fawn to stay close once it realizes it shouldn’t have wandered away. Well anyway I setup my tripod and camera right in the middle of a bush with my photoagraphers stool under my posterior right by a nice exit trail where the deer leave thier daytime cover to graze in the meadow at night. I had a grunt call around my neck in case i needed it, and turned to the right looking through the limbs and seen something walking, it was Shane looking for mushrooms coming up the tracks just a whistling and it looked like he was having a real good time. Then i realized it wasen’t, only a switchman. WOW this is a great site. Well back to he story. I did see something walking in and it was that fawn so i grunted and it came right for me. I had my 200 mm lens in and it was too close to get a picture so i switched to my 35-70mm and still had to let it walk out a little farther. Too tell you how close this fawn was by the time i changed lenses, when it walked in front of me I could have petted it with my hand and I wouldn’t have had to lean over to do it. One more step to its left and it would have been in my lap. Its feet were about 2 ft from mine, and i could have touched the ground on the other side of it with a broomstick with no problem, this is no kidding! It was making a crying sound something like a kitten makes when it meows lightly. It was lost and trying to find its mother. It was a real faint sound that I couldn’t hear 10 ft from me only right in front of me. It wanted to walk away and I grunted lightly sounding like a doe then it stayed around infront of me and I got about 10 photos of it. It would start to walk away and i’d grunt and it would come right up in front of me again, within 10 ft. My darned scanner program isn’t doing what its suppose to do so i can’t post the pictures. Im working on it. It stayed around to my grunting for about 10 minutes then I thought i’d better let it go find its mother. It went back the way it came looking for its mother I suppose. Heres another short one. I was all camoed up and waiting for the turkeys to return too roost that late afternoon and here they came. About 30 of them. I had my 35-70mm lens in and i started taking photos of thier heads, soom out and get the whole body. I knew they were going to be just beautiful quality pictures with the sun reflecting off thier feathers, field and stream quality stuff. I got into about 20 photos and i couldn’t feel any resistance on my finger when i advanced the film for the next shot. I thought boy i’d better have film in this camera. After the turkeys left i opened the camera up an NO FILM!, MAN did i blow it. Oh well theres another day and reason to go again.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Sorry shawn, not shane…. i’ll get your name straight. I apologise

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Sorry shawn, not shane…. i’ll get your name straight. I apologise

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

My uncle had a 6-pt buck try to eat his leafywear camo while spring turkey hunting. Made him a little nervous having those antlers right in his face, so he smacked its side to spook it. Jumped back about three steps, stared at him for a minute or so, then just walked away.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

My uncle had a 6-pt buck try to eat his leafywear camo while spring turkey hunting. Made him a little nervous having those antlers right in his face, so he smacked its side to spook it. Jumped back about three steps, stared at him for a minute or so, then just walked away.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Great mug shot Gianni.

Gator Hunter

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Great mug shot Gianni.

Gator Hunter

ShawnJ
    Oak Grove, MN

No apologies needed Dan. Kinda eerie how you knew I whistled while I shroomed. Sweet Farley pic there Gianni.

Nother weird one. My buddy’s parents have a resort outside of Walker and driving into it last spring, a doe and two fawns crossed in front of them. Doe and one fawn that is. The other must have gotten too spooked by the car, so it layed down and froze, right in front of the car’s grill. They got out of the car to shoo it away (not a typo on shoo, there shouldn’t be a “t” at the end), but it wouldn’t move. My buddy’s dad went up to it and gave it a nudge, but it wouldn’t move. He helped it to its feet and pushed it along towards the doe that stood up the hill watching all this. As he went back to get into the car, the fawn followed him along like he was his daddy. Mother doe let out a call and the fawn got things right and went to her. Once the family unit was together, they walked off into the woods.

Have any of you seen the commercial about some scent control product and a bull elk walks within a few feet of a crouching archer? The bull looks down at him and has to tuck its chin into its neck it is so close. It backs up a couple steps still trying to figure him out, whirls and runs. The archer spends half a second to think about drawing on the running bull, then slumps back on his haunches and gives the camera a look like What just happened.

ShawnJ
    Oak Grove, MN

No apologies needed Dan. Kinda eerie how you knew I whistled while I shroomed. Sweet Farley pic there Gianni.

Nother weird one. My buddy’s parents have a resort outside of Walker and driving into it last spring, a doe and two fawns crossed in front of them. Doe and one fawn that is. The other must have gotten too spooked by the car, so it layed down and froze, right in front of the car’s grill. They got out of the car to shoo it away (not a typo on shoo, there shouldn’t be a “t” at the end), but it wouldn’t move. My buddy’s dad went up to it and gave it a nudge, but it wouldn’t move. He helped it to its feet and pushed it along towards the doe that stood up the hill watching all this. As he went back to get into the car, the fawn followed him along like he was his daddy. Mother doe let out a call and the fawn got things right and went to her. Once the family unit was together, they walked off into the woods.

Have any of you seen the commercial about some scent control product and a bull elk walks within a few feet of a crouching archer? The bull looks down at him and has to tuck its chin into its neck it is so close. It backs up a couple steps still trying to figure him out, whirls and runs. The archer spends half a second to think about drawing on the running bull, then slumps back on his haunches and gives the camera a look like What just happened.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

There’s a guy who lives about 1/2 hour North of CR here who’s on his second ‘pet’ deer. From what I remember, Mamma got caught up in the haybind or something like that and the fawn followed him home. The one he had a couple years ago was a forkhorn buck by fall, and it would come into the house and eat fruit off the counter, follow him around the yard like a dog, etc. By fall the deer started rut-like behaviour and was tearing things up pretty good; probably fortunate that it got hit by a car.

This year he has a yearling doe doing the same thing.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

There’s a guy who lives about 1/2 hour North of CR here who’s on his second ‘pet’ deer. From what I remember, Mamma got caught up in the haybind or something like that and the fawn followed him home. The one he had a couple years ago was a forkhorn buck by fall, and it would come into the house and eat fruit off the counter, follow him around the yard like a dog, etc. By fall the deer started rut-like behaviour and was tearing things up pretty good; probably fortunate that it got hit by a car.

This year he has a yearling doe doing the same thing.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

My friend swears on the good book that a guy in his homtown had a pet deer that was so tame it would ride in the truck with him. I am still skeptical.

My dad was bow hunting one night sitting on the ground when a doe approached him. He drew back and prepared to shoot when it turned. Right before he shot, he noticed a collar and metal tag on the deer. He didn’t shoot, and the doe kept coming toward him, walking right up to him and let him pet it. He saw it had a tag on it that had a farmkid’s name from two farms away on it. It followed him all the way back to the truck, where he husked some corn, fed it a little, then went home. Never heard what happened to that deer.

Gianni, would a buck already have it’s rack during spring turkey season?

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

My friend swears on the good book that a guy in his homtown had a pet deer that was so tame it would ride in the truck with him. I am still skeptical.

My dad was bow hunting one night sitting on the ground when a doe approached him. He drew back and prepared to shoot when it turned. Right before he shot, he noticed a collar and metal tag on the deer. He didn’t shoot, and the doe kept coming toward him, walking right up to him and let him pet it. He saw it had a tag on it that had a farmkid’s name from two farms away on it. It followed him all the way back to the truck, where he husked some corn, fed it a little, then went home. Never heard what happened to that deer.

Gianni, would a buck already have it’s rack during spring turkey season?

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I think there is supposed to be main beam (base) growth by then. I think it starts late March/early April.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I think there is supposed to be main beam (base) growth by then. I think it starts late March/early April.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Im not completely sure but i think that new growth forces the old rack to drop, buttons at first then it does what its suppose to do in march or april.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Im not completely sure but i think that new growth forces the old rack to drop, buttons at first then it does what its suppose to do in march or april.

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

In my home town of Cannon Falls MN. The back of the main street buildings are located on a small hill. This means that you can (potentially) get to the roof of most buildings without having to jump to high.
    I hope I have set the stage with an accurate description.
    One year a deer somehow found its way to one of these buildings, just happened to be a bank and while on the roof fell throw the large skylight in the middle of the day, scaring the SH#! out of all of the customers in the bank at the time. I do not recall if the deer got out alive or not?
    This I would consider a bit weird!

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

In my home town of Cannon Falls MN. The back of the main street buildings are located on a small hill. This means that you can (potentially) get to the roof of most buildings without having to jump to high.
    I hope I have set the stage with an accurate description.
    One year a deer somehow found its way to one of these buildings, just happened to be a bank and while on the roof fell throw the large skylight in the middle of the day, scaring the SH#! out of all of the customers in the bank at the time. I do not recall if the deer got out alive or not?
    This I would consider a bit weird!

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Spring turkey here goes throughout April. The bucks usually drop their antlers in January, although I’ve had 4 break off dragging a deer during second shotgun (week before Christmas). By late april, their main beams and even the tines have sprouted.

A couple of years ago there was one eating grass along the road downtown by the water plant – grandson of the water-truck buck maybe. I saw him first week of June and he was already an easy 150 class 10pt.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Spring turkey here goes throughout April. The bucks usually drop their antlers in January, although I’ve had 4 break off dragging a deer during second shotgun (week before Christmas). By late april, their main beams and even the tines have sprouted.

A couple of years ago there was one eating grass along the road downtown by the water plant – grandson of the water-truck buck maybe. I saw him first week of June and he was already an easy 150 class 10pt.

Frontenac Man
    Lake City, MN

Here’s a picture of a weird/tame little button buck that wandered to my mom’s house. Acted just like a dog… it would jump up on you, follow you around, it even chased us down the road when we drove out of the driveway!! Craziest thing I’ve ever seen.

I later heard that a veternarian about 6 – 7 miles away had raised it and then let it go, he sure wandered a long ways, if it was the same deer.

Frontenac Man
    Lake City, MN

Here’s a picture of a weird/tame little button buck that wandered to my mom’s house. Acted just like a dog… it would jump up on you, follow you around, it even chased us down the road when we drove out of the driveway!! Craziest thing I’ve ever seen.

I later heard that a veternarian about 6 – 7 miles away had raised it and then let it go, he sure wandered a long ways, if it was the same deer.

Frontenac Man
    Lake City, MN

Now keep your minds out of the gutter!!! But here’s another picture that shows just how “friendly” this deer was.

Frontenac Man
    Lake City, MN

Now keep your minds out of the gutter!!! But here’s another picture that shows just how “friendly” this deer was.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Great Pics Cory
    Thanks for posting them!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.