wkend recap

• mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Ya Baldwin, I just posted what channel 9 has been broadcasting, sounds bad. They did have one a mile wide not too long ago. Sounds like they got hit pretty hard, homes are gone.

johnsy
    Mantorville, Mn

It was a great weekend for my dad and I. My dad started off by shooting a big doe on Friday morning. He made a 40 yard shot with his crossbow. When we were cutting her up on Saturday, we found this broad-head right along the spine in the chop. It was completely covered it a hard callus membrane, so I think it happened last year. Here’s a picture of the broad-head. The first pic is how we found it embedded in the callus tissue. I gain more respect for these animals every year as they show me how adaptive and hardy they are.
    Then on Saturday afternoon I had 2 doe’s come out. They were making there way along a fenceline between a thick bedding area and cut corn field. I stopped them at 90 yds and took the bigger one. She dropped right there. I decided to hunt til dark and maybe see a buck. Well I saw a young 8 pter with half a rack and 18 other does,fawns. The deer were also hitting the alfalfa fields hard. It was an awesome weekend of hunting with my dad.

qdm4life
    Albertville, MN

Awsome, thanks for sharing those pics, they are tuff little buggers!!

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

Looks like a Rage 3 blade failed to open Congrats on the does

coppertop
    Central MN

Ouch! Crazy how tough these animals are. Congrats on the full freezer! Johnsy, do you think that buck already shed an antler or a break-off?

lick

Congrats Johnsy 90 yards with open sights is a great shot

Tough critters for sure thanks for the pics

As far as the broadhead like we have always said on here Rage you either love them or you hate them

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Sounds like a good weekend

jason_ramthun
    Byron MN

Great job Mike and Justin It was fun getting the text doe down and 10 min later I’m sending you the same one back

dennisdalan
    St Cloud, MN

Quote:

As far as the broadhead like we have always said on here Rage you either love them or you hate them

I bet the owner of the broadhead hates them now… (Even though it was not the bhead’s fault)

Congrats Johnsy to you and your dad! Good work!

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

Should I pile on the broadhead deal???

lick

Like Dennis said it wasn’t the broadheads fault

Shot placement

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I watched my dad shoot a doe two weekends ago in SD with a 7MM in the upper spine. Didn’t even drop her. Stopped her, but she still had a lot of life left. He was able to quickly dispatch her with a follow up shot. Once we skinned her, I was blown away how she was still on her feet.

I’ve always known deer are super tough, but this year has solidfied that for me now more than ever.

rsballar6941
    Rochester, MN

I bet the owner of the broadhead hates them now… (Even though it was not the bhead’s fault)

Yep, I refuse to shoot them after loosing an awesome buck earlier this year but know full well it was the shot placement not the broadhead, just had to blame it on something other than my bowhunting skills

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Anyone who hates the Rage 3 blade, I’ll PM you my address. Send me yours!!

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

So was this broadhead encased in like a giant pimple or something??

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Congrats Justin to you and your Dad! It sounds like you enjoyed your time together!

There was a recall on Rage 3-blades a couple of years ago due to some not opening up properly (tip of the shoulder was rounded). Hard to tell in the pic if that was the case but maybe the hunter used one?

johnsy
    Mantorville, Mn

Quote:

Johnsy, do you think that buck already shed an antler or a break-off?

I think it wa a break-off Randy i’ve seen this buck before and he was broke off then(around the 1st gun season). As far as the broadhead, it was definately a shot placement issue. The deer was obviousley quartering toward the archer hard when he released the arrow. heck i shoot rage 2 blades and love em

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.