QDM, Can it work in MN?

• bassguy
    MANKATO

MY UNDERSTANDING ON THE 3A HUNT IS THAT IT IS BUCK ONLY UNLESS YOU GET A DOE PERMIT BY LOTTERY IF YOU BOUGHT YOUR LICENSE BEFORE SEPT 4TH.

I HUNT 3B, AND I BELEIVE THAT IS AN EITHER SEX TAG.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

I’m just getting around to reading this month’s Iowa game and fish magazine, and there’s a pertinent story in there as far as this thread is concerned.

Seems this fella who shot a monster buck last year had purchased a property specifically for deer hunting and had plans to implement some sort of QDM for the purpose of growing a monster. The article makes it sound like he and his son welched on QDM and shot 2nd year bucks, but this year he nailed a 200+ anyway.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

I’m just getting around to reading this month’s Iowa game and fish magazine, and there’s a pertinent story in there as far as this thread is concerned.

Seems this fella who shot a monster buck last year had purchased a property specifically for deer hunting and had plans to implement some sort of QDM for the purpose of growing a monster. The article makes it sound like he and his son welched on QDM and shot 2nd year bucks, but this year he nailed a 200+ anyway.

bassguy
    MANKATO

IF YOU HAVE AN ALL-SEASON DEER LICENSE, AND YOU HUNT 3A, YOU CAN SHOOT EITHER SEX.

bassguy
    MANKATO

IF YOU HAVE AN ALL-SEASON DEER LICENSE, AND YOU HUNT 3A, YOU CAN SHOOT EITHER SEX.

bassguy
    MANKATO

CORRECTION TO MY LAST POST. WITH AN ALL-SEASON LICENSE, YOU STILL NEED TO BE DRAWN IN LOTTERY TO SHOOT AN ANTLERLESS DEER DURING 3A. MY MISTAKE.

bassguy
    MANKATO

CORRECTION TO MY LAST POST. WITH AN ALL-SEASON LICENSE, YOU STILL NEED TO BE DRAWN IN LOTTERY TO SHOOT AN ANTLERLESS DEER DURING 3A. MY MISTAKE.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

From the DNR web site

Q: What does an all-season deer license let me do?

A: The all-season license allows you to hunt during all three seasons (archery, firearm, muzzleloader) and allows you to kill two deer on one license. The license comes with one buck tag and one antlerless tag. The antlerless tag can only be used in the regular firearms season if you are authorized to take an antlerless deer in that season. Options vary depending on whether the permit area you select is lottery, managed, or intensive:

Lottery ? You must apply through the regular drawing by Sept. 4, 2003. If you are successful in the lottery, your authorization will be good for using the antlerless tag in the regular firearms season in that area. So, you will have a buck and an antlerless tag on your all-season license that can both be used during the firearms season. If not successful in the lottery, the antlerless deer can be taken with archery or muzzleloader.
    Managed ? If the permit area you declare is in the managed category, you will be able to use both the buck and the antlerless deer tags during the firearms season. You will also have the option of purchasing an additional management permit for that permit area for one-half the cost of a regular license.
    Intensive? If the permit area you declare is in the intensive category, you will be able to use both the buck and the antlerless deer tags during the firearms season. Additionally, you can purchase up to three additional intensive harvest permits at one-half the cost of the regular license that can be used in any intensive deer permit area where your license is valid.
    Q: What if I have an all-season license and hunt both managed and intensive permit areas?

A: You will be restricted to the rules of the permit area you?re hunting. You can take one additional deer in a managed permit area or up to three additional deer in an intensive permit area. In other words, you can kill a maximum of five deer in the state with no more than three coming from the managed area.

Q: I hunt with a firearms and bought an all-season license. Can I use a firearm to kill antlerless deer in two managed permit areas?

A: No. The management and antlerless deer tags are tied back to your parent license and you may declare only one permit area. However, you can harvest three deer (one buck and two antlerless) in the managed area and additional animals in intensive deer permit areas.

Q: I hunt with archery and muzzleloader equipment and bought the all-season license. Can I kill antlerless deer in two managed permit areas?

A: Yes. When you purchase your all-season license the agent will ask you which permit area you will hunt. Give the clerk that number and you will be able to kill an antlerless deer by firearms in that area with the antlerless portion of your all-season license. Then, you will be able to purchase one intensive harvest permit and use it to take an antlerless deer in the archery or muzzleloader season in another managed area.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

From the DNR web site

Q: What does an all-season deer license let me do?

A: The all-season license allows you to hunt during all three seasons (archery, firearm, muzzleloader) and allows you to kill two deer on one license. The license comes with one buck tag and one antlerless tag. The antlerless tag can only be used in the regular firearms season if you are authorized to take an antlerless deer in that season. Options vary depending on whether the permit area you select is lottery, managed, or intensive:

Lottery ? You must apply through the regular drawing by Sept. 4, 2003. If you are successful in the lottery, your authorization will be good for using the antlerless tag in the regular firearms season in that area. So, you will have a buck and an antlerless tag on your all-season license that can both be used during the firearms season. If not successful in the lottery, the antlerless deer can be taken with archery or muzzleloader.
    Managed ? If the permit area you declare is in the managed category, you will be able to use both the buck and the antlerless deer tags during the firearms season. You will also have the option of purchasing an additional management permit for that permit area for one-half the cost of a regular license.
    Intensive? If the permit area you declare is in the intensive category, you will be able to use both the buck and the antlerless deer tags during the firearms season. Additionally, you can purchase up to three additional intensive harvest permits at one-half the cost of the regular license that can be used in any intensive deer permit area where your license is valid.
    Q: What if I have an all-season license and hunt both managed and intensive permit areas?

A: You will be restricted to the rules of the permit area you?re hunting. You can take one additional deer in a managed permit area or up to three additional deer in an intensive permit area. In other words, you can kill a maximum of five deer in the state with no more than three coming from the managed area.

Q: I hunt with a firearms and bought an all-season license. Can I use a firearm to kill antlerless deer in two managed permit areas?

A: No. The management and antlerless deer tags are tied back to your parent license and you may declare only one permit area. However, you can harvest three deer (one buck and two antlerless) in the managed area and additional animals in intensive deer permit areas.

Q: I hunt with archery and muzzleloader equipment and bought the all-season license. Can I kill antlerless deer in two managed permit areas?

A: Yes. When you purchase your all-season license the agent will ask you which permit area you will hunt. Give the clerk that number and you will be able to kill an antlerless deer by firearms in that area with the antlerless portion of your all-season license. Then, you will be able to purchase one intensive harvest permit and use it to take an antlerless deer in the archery or muzzleloader season in another managed area.

bassguy
    MANKATO

STEVE,
    SO IF HUNTING 3A, IS 337 THE ONLY AREA THAT ONE CAN TAKE AN ANTLERLESS DEER WITH A SLUG WITHOUT BEING DRAWN IN A LOTTERY?

I HUNT 343 , AND DID NOT BY THE ALL SEASON LICENSE BECAUSE YOU CAN’T HUNT 3B AND THERE WAS NO GARANTEE OF AN ANTLERLESS LICENSE DURING 3A.
    WHY DO YOU THINK 3B IS EXCLUDED IN THE ALL SEASON LICENSE?

bassguy
    MANKATO

STEVE,
    SO IF HUNTING 3A, IS 337 THE ONLY AREA THAT ONE CAN TAKE AN ANTLERLESS DEER WITH A SLUG WITHOUT BEING DRAWN IN A LOTTERY?

I HUNT 343 , AND DID NOT BY THE ALL SEASON LICENSE BECAUSE YOU CAN’T HUNT 3B AND THERE WAS NO GARANTEE OF AN ANTLERLESS LICENSE DURING 3A.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

SO IF HUNTING 3A IS 337 THE ONLY AREA THAT ONE CAN TAKE AN ANTLERLESS DEER WITH A SLUG WITHOUT BEING DRAWN IN A LOTTERY?

Yes, if I am reading the MN regulations correctly 337 is the only area you can use an Intensive Harvest Permit (doe only) for the 3A season. See the fold out map from the MN Regulations Handbook to see if you can use Intensive Harvest Permits in your area.

Quote:

I HUNT 343, AND DID NOT BY THE ALL SEASON LICENSE BECAUSE YOU CAN’T HUNT 3B AND THERE WAS NO GARANTEE OF AN ANTLERLESS LICENSE DURING 3A.

That is a good question, I have often wondered that myself. I live not to far from the DNR office, I will try and stop in sometime and see if one of the wildlife guys could stop by here and answer some questions for us. I am leaving for Rainy River tomorrow and will not be back until Friday so I won’t get there until I get back.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

SO IF HUNTING 3A IS 337 THE ONLY AREA THAT ONE CAN TAKE AN ANTLERLESS DEER WITH A SLUG WITHOUT BEING DRAWN IN A LOTTERY?

Yes, if I am reading the MN regulations correctly 337 is the only area you can use an Intensive Harvest Permit (doe only) for the 3A season. See the fold out map from the MN Regulations Handbook to see if you can use Intensive Harvest Permits in your area.

Quote:

I HUNT 343, AND DID NOT BY THE ALL SEASON LICENSE BECAUSE YOU CAN’T HUNT 3B AND THERE WAS NO GARANTEE OF AN ANTLERLESS LICENSE DURING 3A.

That is a good question, I have often wondered that myself. I live not to far from the DNR office, I will try and stop in sometime and see if one of the wildlife guys could stop by here and answer some questions for us. I am leaving for Rainy River tomorrow and will not be back until Friday so I won’t get there until I get back.

bassguy
    MANKATO

THANKS STEVE,
    GOOD LUCK UP NORTH.

bassguy
    MANKATO

THANKS STEVE,
    GOOD LUCK UP NORTH.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 75 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.