Why I create mock scrapes and licking branches

• robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

This is the reason I use mock scrapes, licking branches, and hang trail cams over them and only check my trail cams every two weeks or so. A great way to inventory the deer using your property. This is the only time the big six has been caught on trail cam and I first encountered him as a big mature 8 on November 15th 2007. This is only the 3rd time I have seen him. Talk about a ghost

Mock Scrapes & Licking Branch Video

walleyefisher87
    Central MN/SJU

the body on that buck is unreal…a true monarch….good luck on him….

budaman
    North Metro, MN

Rob, when making your mock scrapes…do you put anything in them? Doe pee, any of the various “active scrape” scents, etc.? Do you freshen them up, or do you let the deer do that for you? Or are all these variables dependent upon the time of year (pre, during, post rut)….?

I’ve made a few in the past, and I haven’t seen much activity around them.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

Rob, when making your mock scrapes…do you put anything in them? Doe pee, any of the various “active scrape” scents, etc.? Do you freshen them up, or do you let the deer do that for you? Or are all these variables dependent upon the time of year (pre, during, post rut)….?

I’ve made a few in the past, and I haven’t seen much activity around them.

The last two years I have been using Border Crossing scents pretty much exclusively. The Mock scrape in the video was created using the Rutting Buck in a Stick and Ever Calm. When it gets closer to the Rut I will use the VS-1 Estrous Lure in the scrape. I usually put my Mock Scrapes on field edges and just off trails about 20-30 yards into the woods. I find a lot of times the bigger bucks will not use the field edge ones but will hammer the ones just off the field. I used to have areas where I had no scrape activity, once you create a scrape with a branch, that area can absolutely explode with scrapes. In the field above there were no scrapes there for years. I created this scrape last year and when I checked my camera this weekend this field had over a dozen scrapes with about 4 of those having licking branches. As you can see in the video I created this licking branch back in August. Also it just takes one buck, even a small one to hit it and it can bring in those big boys. I’m really curious to see what that one freaky 2.5 year old at the end will bloom into in the future.

I used to only use the Deer Calm and Rutting buck lure on the ground but after Bob from here said he put it on the licking branch also I have seen an increase of does using it, which IMO really gets the bucks to it. Thanks for the tip Bob.

I like the Border Crossing scents for a few reasons; 1) It really seems to work. 2) The deodorant type dispense on it really makes it clean and easy to apply. 3) The gel type deodorant material does not dry up, freeze, or get all over everything. With it not drying up it seems to last forever almost which means less times I need to disturb that area freshening it up, which IMO is key.

I hope this helps!

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

great video thanks for sharing

DONOTDELETE

Great video Rob, do you rub the stick right on the ground and how much do you rub on the licking branches?

chev70
    SW Wisconsin

Great Video Rob Thanks for sharing

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Thanks Bob, Chev, & MRxx!

On the ground I usually try to put it on a leaf or stick. You don’t need much on the branches. I can still see the stuff I put on two weeks ago.

coppertop
    Central MN

Yikes, that’s about $60 worth of stink. I’ve been trying for a couple years to get one scrape in my meadow. Tried cutting the lower branches on some cedar trees and bingo. Thanks for sharing Rob!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.