Scrapes??

• mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Hey Scott, i haven’t been out checking yet this year because im familiar with the areas i hunt. I know thier active though. I just talked to my neighbor who’s a deputy for the sherrifs dept and hes seen a rise in the accidents the last three weeks from bucks pushing the does. I do a little scouting to see whats going on but I don’t get real serious until later in the month too and I prefer a little snow on the ground plus cooler temperatures too. I hope when it finially cools down thats it not back and forth with the temps alot so we get a more condensed rut. I know why your probably going the 25th, the dark of the moon is good. I know the light in the october and november new moons put a doe into heat because of her body chemistry being triggered by the amount of light, or lack of, that enters hers eyes and the recepticals at the rear of her eyes trigger her. I hunt the dark of the moon too both months and december too if i haven’t filled my tag.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Here is a fresh rub I found not 5ft from one of my stands, probably made by the 6 or 8 point I have been seeing. I am also see allot of scrapes. Things are heating up

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Here is a fresh rub I found not 5ft from one of my stands, probably made by the 6 or 8 point I have been seeing. I am also see allot of scrapes. Things are heating up

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

Steve things are beyond heating up where my stand is at right now, near LeRoy, i have been out last 3 days fri night saw 11 bucks 17 does, sat. morning slower 5 bucks and 3 does and thins morning 14 Bucks and lost count of does!!!! This is just insane i have never seen anything liek this in my life they are breeding fighting and what not right in front of us but about 50 to 80 yards into neighbors property but I rattled 3 bucks in friday night and missed a dandy 10 pointer JUST over his back but today was the peak so far this year every doe that came by had an eye to her back the entire time that they were moving so eevryone get out there and enjoy whats going on right now cause it is insane.

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

Steve things are beyond heating up where my stand is at right now, near LeRoy, i have been out last 3 days fri night saw 11 bucks 17 does, sat. morning slower 5 bucks and 3 does and thins morning 14 Bucks and lost count of does!!!! This is just insane i have never seen anything liek this in my life they are breeding fighting and what not right in front of us but about 50 to 80 yards into neighbors property but I rattled 3 bucks in friday night and missed a dandy 10 pointer JUST over his back but today was the peak so far this year every doe that came by had an eye to her back the entire time that they were moving so eevryone get out there and enjoy whats going on right now cause it is insane.

zimmy101
    Hager City Wisconsin

Just left my stand at 11:30 a.m.. Drove about 1/2 mile when only 40 yards from the road in some brush was a hog whitetail. He was just an 8pt. Look to make book though. MASS!!! That boy must have had to been #250. He had saliva just runnin out of his mouth. I backed the truck up to get a better look and he just stood there. He finally had enough and trotted to the top of the hill. I’m gonna get a bite to eat and head back out. It is utterly beautiful out there. What’s that bright thing in the sky anyway???? GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

zimmy101
    Hager City Wisconsin

Just left my stand at 11:30 a.m.. Drove about 1/2 mile when only 40 yards from the road in some brush was a hog whitetail. He was just an 8pt. Look to make book though. MASS!!! That boy must have had to been #250. He had saliva just runnin out of his mouth. I backed the truck up to get a better look and he just stood there. He finally had enough and trotted to the top of the hill. I’m gonna get a bite to eat and head back out. It is utterly beautiful out there. What’s that bright thing in the sky anyway???? GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

2 new scrapes off the end of my hunting property but nothing new on the activity. I think my area deer are sticking a lot closer to feeding areas than what I’m used to. They’re around, but the sign isn’t what it used to be. Part of me wonders if the dominant doe has died as well………………just not seeing the normal volume levels……….yet I know the deer herd is THICK! Time to start gearing up for plan B…………….I won’t hunt again until Nov. 22nd.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

2 new scrapes off the end of my hunting property but nothing new on the activity. I think my area deer are sticking a lot closer to feeding areas than what I’m used to. They’re around, but the sign isn’t what it used to be. Part of me wonders if the dominant doe has died as well………………just not seeing the normal volume levels……….yet I know the deer herd is THICK! Time to start gearing up for plan B…………….I won’t hunt again until Nov. 22nd.

newt
    Pillager, MN

I saw alot of new scrapes when I was at the cabin a week ago and are seeing alot of different bucks roaming the area. I also saw a bunch of real nice rubs as well. Can’t wait to get back up there this weekend and try out my new 30-06.

newt
    Pillager, MN

I saw alot of new scrapes when I was at the cabin a week ago and are seeing alot of different bucks roaming the area. I also saw a bunch of real nice rubs as well. Can’t wait to get back up there this weekend and try out my new 30-06.

scottsteil
    Central MN

I didn’t see a thing last night Time is getting short.

scottsteil
    Central MN

I didn’t see a thing last night Time is getting short.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I see some of my best activity from now until late janurary, the ruts far from over, don’t give up sitting in your stand. We’ve had a long bout or warm weather so theres plenty of cold days of good hunting on thier way. Not all the does get bred in oct. and nov., theres still two good months left. I shot my buck tending to a doe the last of december with plenty of snow on the ground. Remember that the fawns that were born early in the year sometimes come into heat late after all the other does have been bred, the bucks know this and look for them. Its not over until, in my book, until sometime in feb. and im not completely shure if its over then. I seen a 40 lb fawn in december and it was full of vivid clear spots, it was still young and came from a wild blackberry briar after it got scared and ran from my grunting with a buck call. This means the doe was bred late in the year or in Janurary. All this means its a sign of a very healty deer herd.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I see some of my best activity from now until late janurary, the ruts far from over, don’t give up sitting in your stand. We’ve had a long bout or warm weather so theres plenty of cold days of good hunting on thier way. Not all the does get bred in oct. and nov., theres still two good months left. I shot my buck tending to a doe the last of december with plenty of snow on the ground. Remember that the fawns that were born early in the year sometimes come into heat late after all the other does have been bred, the bucks know this and look for them. Its not over until, in my book, until sometime in feb. and im not completely shure if its over then. I seen a 40 lb fawn in december and it was full of vivid clear spots, it was still young and came from a wild blackberry briar after it got scared and ran from my grunting with a buck call. This means the doe was bred late in the year or in Janurary. All this means its a sign of a very healty deer herd.

Scary
    Menomonie WI,

Saw a nice 10 point or better on tues in MN he was checking around some scrapes and big rubs at 11:20. no shot though I have had good luck ratteling in bucks during mid to late oct. has anyone had any luck later than that?

Scary
    Menomonie WI,

Saw a nice 10 point or better on tues in MN he was checking around some scrapes and big rubs at 11:20. no shot though I have had good luck ratteling in bucks during mid to late oct. has anyone had any luck later than that?

Viewing 17 posts - 31 through 47 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.