Stand Height

• walleye_wisdom
    Big Sky Country Helena, MT (Adel, IA home)

Thanks for the report. I plan on being up there at least Sunday, but possibly Fri-Sunday if i can work it out.

Are the showers and campgrounds open at the state park yet?

walleyesareus
    Cedar Falls, IA

How many tourny’s are going to be held the last weekend of April? Was just curious how a person could enter the cedar valley eye tourney that weekend?

walleye_wisdom
    Big Sky Country Helena, MT (Adel, IA home)

Cost to enter the tourney is $35 on top of a $25 membership fee that is good for the whole year. Really nice club, and with around a 80% payout from the $35 fee, a good shot at some money. Entering a week before the tourney costs $45.

Check out Cedar Valley Walleye Club Webpage for more info and tourney dates. Great way to get your feet wet with tournament angling.

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

Just an off shoot of the other thread. All things being equal, perfect tree, perfect spot, how high do you like to sit and why? Just curious.

dennisdalan
    St Cloud, MN

As low as possible as I am not a big fan of heights…

I tend to let the tree dictate how high I go. Stand goes where the most cover is.

todders
    Shoreview, MN

I always like to be around 20′ might just be in my head but any lower and I feel it’s easier to be busted.

rsballar6941
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

I always like to be around 20′ might just be in my head but any lower and I feel it’s easier to be busted.

x2 I just feel I stick out like a sore thumb in anything lower than 20′ and I feel deer rarely give me that curious head bob when at that height. With all things said I still have plenty of ladder stands at that 15′ mark that have produced many opportunities in the past.

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

If I were in the perfect tree, it would have cover so I wouldn’t have to go 20′ in the air. Personally, 10′ – 15′ would be plenty high for me if I had the “perfect” tree.

gobbler
    Central, MN

15-20′ is good for me. Depends on the tree, surrounding vegetation, and if I’m hunting on a ridge? I’ve been in situations where it’s a level shot to the bench and a 40′ difference on a 20 yard or less shot down hill. (which I’m not a big fan of that shot)

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

15-20′ is good for me. Depends on the tree, surrounding vegetation, and if I’m hunting on a ridge? I’ve been in situations where it’s a level shot to the bench and a 40′ difference on a 20 yard or less shot down hill. (which I’m not a big fan of that shot)

Ditto Ripley comes to mind… I sit in a dry creek bed… 15′ up in the tree, 30 yards to the North I am level with the ground… I sit on the backside of the tree, less chance to get busted not paying attention

lick

15-20 ft Ladderstands and my climber plenty high with good background cover

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.