popup ground blinds

• fishsjj

While I am still physically able to put up and use tree stands, my age (56) is telling me I should think otherwise.

Therefore, I am becoming more and more interested in hunting on the ground and more to the point, with ground blinds.

So, my interest is finding out as much about hunting blinds as possible before I buy one. Hopefully, some of you out there will have experience with them or know someone who uses them. Ease of transportation and popping them up and down is important, for example. My main focus is whitetails, then turkeys, and finally waterfowl(possibly).

I know some about Double Bull, but not too much about other companies. I do not mind paying for a good product, but if a cheaper blind will be as affective as an expensive blind, why waste money?

So, I am looking for some voices of experience to help me make my decision. If you do not think any ground blinds are worth the money, let me know that too.

Thanks or all your help.

sjj

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Hi fish, down here in Iowa guys can buy blind material in bulk. Its on a big roll at the hunting store. I thought about getting some and making a frame from electrical conduit painting it flat, not gloss, camo covers. At Times i would have been better off hunting from the ground, especially when i have a flock of turkeys walk in front of me or the deer don’t walk into an area the way they did the day befor or a guy wants to try grunting from 1/2 a dozen spots in a few hours to cover ground. Im 52 also and going to a climbing tree stand instead of spikes. I know what you mean the knees aren’t what they used to be kind of things lol. The bulk stuff here is reasonable. Costs about 20 bucks for a 4ft square blind closed on all sides.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Hi fish, down here in Iowa guys can buy blind material in bulk. Its on a big roll at the hunting store. I thought about getting some and making a frame from electrical conduit painting it flat, not gloss, camo covers. At Times i would have been better off hunting from the ground, especially when i have a flock of turkeys walk in front of me or the deer don’t walk into an area the way they did the day befor or a guy wants to try grunting from 1/2 a dozen spots in a few hours to cover ground. Im 52 also and going to a climbing tree stand instead of spikes. I know what you mean the knees aren’t what they used to be kind of things lol. The bulk stuff here is reasonable. Costs about 20 bucks for a 4ft square blind closed on all sides.

birdhunter88
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

I have gone from bulk material blinds to blinds made by Ameristep…. check out Wings Supply.com…. can buy them very reasonable and very easy to set up…

bird

birdhunter88
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

I have gone from bulk material blinds to blinds made by Ameristep…. check out Wings Supply.com…. can buy them very reasonable and very easy to set up…

bird

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

personally, i think blinds are over rated . i never hunt out of a tree stand, always just sit next to a big tree or a brush pile. it’s been a pretty effective way of hunting for me (5 bucks in 5 years) . bow hunting is a completely different story, but with a shotgun i think a blind does nothing but hinder your sight and movement.

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

personally, i think blinds are over rated . i never hunt out of a tree stand, always just sit next to a big tree or a brush pile. it’s been a pretty effective way of hunting for me (5 bucks in 5 years) . bow hunting is a completely different story, but with a shotgun i think a blind does nothing but hinder your sight and movement.

fishsjj

I guess I should have stated that I would use it for bow hunting mainly.

I appreciate the input so far.

Thank you.

sjj

fishsjj

I guess I should have stated that I would use it for bow hunting mainly.

I appreciate the input so far.

Thank you.

sjj

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.