Fangs

• little_g
    durand WI

Just read an article in the MN outdoor news that a deer had fangs and they said it was rare, but I thought it was pretty common since I have two of them, anyone else have this on their mounts especially on their skull mounts?

jason_ramthun
    Byron MN

Never have seen that , Take some pictures and post for us

little_g
    durand WI

Will do

little_g
    durand WI

How about a sidways tooth both deer shot in the same place

neusch303

Musk Deer are a species of deer that are very small in nature and develop “fangs”. Although whitetail are a different species of deer, it’s possible there is some residual DNA in a whitetail that could cause this.

little_g
    durand WI

I want one of them.

jason_ramthun
    Byron MN

now that is cool ! Thanks for posting

neusch303

Quote:

I want one of them.

I agree, I’ve always had an itch to hunt Musk Deer.

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

you think they use them for fighting

mossyoak
    UP Michigan

Awesome I need to shoot one of those…

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

That is so cool looking. Now just think if they were not afraid of hunters and you heard that crashing noise on your way to the stand just before dark.

offthewall
    Ham Lake ,MN

MY dad shot one in northern MN 3 years ago they are in the same spot as the ones little g has and the same size

rsballar6941
    Rochester, MN

Same relation I think

PeteE
    North Wales, UK

Quote:

Musk Deer are a species of deer that are very small in nature and develop “fangs”. Although whitetail are a different species of deer, it’s possible there is some residual DNA in a whitetail that could cause this.

Ruger2506,

I’m not a 100% certain, but I’m fairly sure that picture is of a Chinese Water Deer.

As to the residual “fangs” they are more commonly known as “tusks” or “ivory” and in Europe they are prized as a trophy in their own right.

I have seen them in Red deer, and I knew they were present & quite well developed in North American Elk, but never realised Whitetails had them.

The pics below are off the Net and show what can be done with Elk and Red Deer “ivory”

Regards,

Peter

neusch303

Pete E,
    I’m not so sure about that. You are correct, the pics are of a Chinese Water Deer.

Regarding the Ivory. I’ve got the ivories out of my Red Stag and I’ve seen many out of elk.

This is simply my opinion, however the “fangs” that these guys are seeing seem more closely related to the Chinese Water Deer vs. the Ivories of a Stag or Elk.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Cool learned something new

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.