Thats all folks!

• eyeguide
    Prior Lake

Having trouble viewing! It gets about 2 minutes in and then quits and goes back to the begining.

norseman
    FAIRMONT MN

For all you guys that followed my post “enough is enough?”. Its over. No I didn’t get him. He tricked me again. The 21st the big 10 pointer I’d been hunting cut wide of my stand by about 50 yards. He was following 17 does. By the time he got to me it was probably right at the end of legal shooting time. I just watched him with my binoculars file by to their feeding destination in a bean field with over 20 other deer. I snuck out undetected. I wasn’t able to hunt the 22nd. The afternoon of the 23rd I got out early so I could cut some time off my ambush and shift my stand over 50 yards. I found the trail that the heard was using and picked out a place to stage my ambush. I was in place by 3:oo. Shortly after 4:30 I seen with my binoculars the deer milling around the woods 220 yards to the north. The first brave does started her way across the 200 yards of open field heading straight toward me. Like they were all on a stringer, here they all come! Watching with my binocs the first one was almost to me when “he” steps out of the timber to take his place in the rear of the line. I focused on him clearly as the begining of the line started to file 8 yards past my stand. I remember involintarily saying out loud “What the hell”. It was at that point I realized not only did I stop the parade going by but noticed “he” lost his antlers! Months of work for nothing! As the parade began again to file by it dawned on me that even though “my” buck gave me the ultimate finger I better make something of this fiasco. I set my release on my string as the rear of the line approached. A giant doe was the third from the back. As she stepped into the woods she stopped at about 10 yards. I put a arrow staight through her and it stuck in the ground on the opposite side.She sprinted 40 yards and piled up. Deer were scattering everywhere. “He” mearly dropped his tail and sculked back across the 200 yards he’d just came. I thought to myself, Next year you lucky s.o.b! I dressed the big doe tagged her with the tag meant for “him”. I guess if it was easy it wouldn’t be fun. I learned alot about this buck through out the season. I’m just more determined!

“Thats all folks”.

chev70
    SW Wisconsin

Congrats on filling a tag mine are still unpunched and it isn’t looking good to much work and not enough daylight Can alway look ahead to next year

big_g
    Isle, MN

Aw man…. he comes by with no headgear Well at least while your chewing on that big doe, you can start planning for “him” next year

lick

Wow didnt see that coming

Nice work on the doe

norseman
    FAIRMONT MN

Me either! I shot a big 8 pointer in Whitewater WMA years ago that had a rack when I shot it. No rack when I recovered it 100 yards away. Never did find the sheds in the deep snow. The woods I was seeing the big one this year come from a no tresspassing property.Thats probably why he got so big. So I won’t even be able to find the sheds later. I will be looking in the bean field but doubt they’re there. I think he’s a 5 1/2 year old. Do you guys think he’ll be as big next year?

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Even though it didn’t turn out the way you wanted it to, it’s a great ending to the season just knowing that he’s still alive and is one lucky buck. Thanks for sharing and congrats on the doe harvest.

coppertop
    Central MN

Norseman, Congrats on the doe but the way I see it, it was a win/win deal for you. This deer is still alive, you obviously know where to start looking for his sheds and he’ll hopefully be bigger next year. Please post sheds the minute you find them, can’t wait to see this buck we’ve been reading about.

martysddw
    EC, Wisconsin

One of the greatest reasons to hunt late season is so you can get fired up for the next. Sounds like you have plenty to look forward to!!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Congrats on a great end to your season. I’m very jealous you guys are still hunting.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Wow what a story!

Congrats on your doe!

Quote:

I guess if it was easy it wouldn’t be fun. I learned alot about this buck through out the season. I’m just more determined!

This is where you need to put what you learned and use all off season moving stands, etc to hunt this particular buck in the Fall. My buddy Paul and I did the same thing with Splitter and had him dialed in and knew of his bedding areas for different winds and knew his trails with different winds and we had him totally pegged for a S, SE, or SW wind. We knew exactly his route and my buddy Paul finally ended our 3 years saga on this deer, using the information he taught us on his past behavior.

Congrats again and good luck next year! This “icing” is just going to make the harvest that much sweeter next year!

norseman
    FAIRMONT MN

Thanks guys! I watched him last night from the road with his does. It allmost seemed like he knew most of the danger was over without his headgear. He came out a half hour earlier and seemed almost playfull with the other deer.Now as long as he stays off the roads! I’ll him next year.

jason_ramthun
    Byron MN

Great stuff Norseman , hope you find his sheds and him next year
    Congrats on the doe

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

BIG BUMMER!

Here’s what I would do.. Go find those sheds and mount them on the cape of the doe you shot! Because really,, it’s the same thing right? You figured him out and you can look at it as a Catch Mount and Release tactic. I’m only have joking here.

norseman
    FAIRMONT MN

Now thats funny!

BBushy
    Moorhead, Minnesota

Well at least you have a chance at him next year.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.