What’s more important to you and why? “Scoring”

• inuhbad
    MN, USA

I usually hold out when hunting until I get something that’s at least a bigger buck. I’d shoot a 6 or 8 pointer – I’ll take the shot, but not on a little spike or tiny basket buck. I’m mostly after the MEAT, and those smaller bucks are mostly BONE & TENDON.

Gimme some MEAT!

whittsend

Just wondering if any of you guys have read any of the articles in some of the QDM publications (et al) about culling and trying to control herd genetics… If you haven’t, most of the well done, truly scientific studies are very interesting and excellent reads.

Here is a link, although it has some odd characters in it, makeing it a little difficult to read. I believe it was written by a QDMA guy about the King ranch in Texas…..

http://skinnymoose.com/tailsandtrails/?p=1157

Anyway, findings from studies done on intensely (INTENSELY) managed herds… Mostly in Texas – some of those huge tens of thousands of acre ranches. Even with some serious culling and attention to very specific gene traits, they found it almost impossible to noticably effect herd genetics or grow larger average bucks.. I think they found a lot of the 1 and 2 year old bucks were breeding, and you can’t really cull the young deer since you haven’t yet even seen a glimpse of their potentials… Actually, I recall the study stating that the cull group of deer actually had LOWER antler size than the control group (non-culled group)….

They also have done studies about spikes (to shoot or not to shoot) and often find that they turn into absolutely normal-racked bucks later in life.

There are some very interesting studies out there, if you look for ’em. Just thought it was interesting a possibly sort of pertains to the discussion here…

silverstreak
    West Union, IA

I usually try to one up the year before, but if opportunities arise a 150 class will fill in nicely. Where I hunt there is no need for culling, as only the smart survive! Qdm is practiced more and more but when shotgun season arrives it is very hard to tell the difference between a 130 and 150 running at 100 yards Most people will shoot it if it looks good.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I have to shoot a real nicely balanced 140″ or bigger, thats my bottom number. I really want a 150″ or bigger but it has to have a nice spread and long tine length. It can be an 8 pointer and be a 150″ or 160″. I won’t shoot a 12 pointer 150 with a small spread and short tine lengths. I’m after nice width and tine length, number of tines doesn’t matter. Mass, tine length and spread are most important to me at all the ages that produce them, anything over a 3.5 yr old because he has to have mass thats impressive.

rsballar6941
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

I have to shoot a real nicely balanced 140″ or bigger, thats my bottom number. I really want a 150″ or bigger but it has to have a nice spread and long tine length. It can be an 8 pointer and be a 150″ or 160″. I won’t shoot a 12 pointer 150 with a small spread and short tine lengths. I’m after nice width and tine length, number of tines doesn’t matter. Mass, tine length and spread are most important to me at all the ages that produce them, anything over a 3.5 yr old because he has to have mass thats impressive.

X2

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.