FAVORITE TREE STAND

• Steve Plantz
    SE MN

So what is your favorite tree stand? For bow hunting I have two TRAIL HAWK TREE STANDS (Sometime after I made this post I have since found out that Trail Hawk went out of business about a year ago they were out of Lacrosse and could not compete with the companies that make tree stands over seas. All I can say is it is a darn shame to lose a good product that was made in the USA) What I like about the Tail Hawk is it hangs in the tree with a screw in pin, very easy to hang after the pin is in the tree. I have several of the pins and just leave the pins in the trees that I hunt out of for the season.

For the shot gun season I bought a TREE LOUNGE last Dec on sale and saved about $70. Check out there web site they give one away each month during hunting season!!! I have not used this stand yet but everyone I talk to that owns one love’s them. I gun hunt the same way I bow hunt, I find a good spot & stay put, I do not like to party hunt. During the gun season I will stay in the woods all day so I need a comfortable stand, I can not wait to try this one out.

PS: I am not sponsored by Trail Hawk or Tree Lounge or any company that sells deer hunting products.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

My favorite is one with a deer under it……………..OFTEN! Couldn’t resist Steve!

I don’t own a stand but would like to get into something extremely versatile, not too heavy, and very mobile. Kinda what the Tree Lounge is claiming but my trees have a lot more branches than the ones in that demo tape! Anyone have one to site an opinion? Any suggestions?

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

My favorite is one with a deer under it……………..OFTEN! Couldn’t resist Steve!

I don’t own a stand but would like to get into something extremely versatile, not too heavy, and very mobile. Kinda what the Tree Lounge is claiming but my trees have a lot more branches than the ones in that demo tape! Anyone have one to site an opinion? Any suggestions?

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

My favorite is the API Grand Slam Super Star Tree Stand
    Model GS3400. I used one a few years back and fell in love with it. Easy to use and tough as nails. If you look on Ebay you ma be able to find a great deal on one. That’s where I found mine.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

My favorite is the API Grand Slam Super Star Tree Stand
    Model GS3400. I used one a few years back and fell in love with it. Easy to use and tough as nails. If you look on Ebay you ma be able to find a great deal on one. That’s where I found mine.

eyenutz
    muscoda,wi.

i like the summit viper extreme xl it is well built,comfortable and quiet when climbing and transporting.if i bought another stand it would also be by summit,named goliath it is the same stand but with a little more room. eyenutz!

eyenutz
    muscoda,wi.

i like the summit viper extreme xl it is well built,comfortable and quiet when climbing and transporting.if i bought another stand it would also be by summit,named goliath it is the same stand but with a little more room. eyenutz!

ShawnJ
    Oak Grove, MN

I have the tree lounge. It is very comfortable. If I owned the land I hunted, I’d be better off. That way I wouldn’t have to lug it a mile into and out of the woods. I’m going to make a cover for it because it is loud hauling it. Branches scrape against it or I bump a tree and the branches grab hold giving me a quick stop. Buckles come loose and clank against it. Like most stands, it definately has slippage troubles with popple and birch. Seemingly slight tapers to the tree you hunt result in you having to tighten the backside support bar. That means unscrewing two wingnuts, pulling out the support bar and moving it to a closer set of holes, and refastening the wing nuts. That’s a process you get used to with the seat, but is much harder to do to the foot climber. These are both loud process considering you’re removing and sliding in screws from a metal stand and also leave you in an easy position for a fall. The lounge portion is very comfortable, but more suited to the gun hunter because your arse sinks so low. Because the hams are so low, you have to use your arms to pull yourself up to a standing position. I’ve remedied this by putting on a large rectangular tupperware container between the back webbing and cushion of the lounge. This boosts me up higher and also keeps lunch from freezing. Once in place, the stand couldn’t be more comfortable. Not many creaks when adjusting positions either. I have the archer’s model so I also have a small platform that lets me stand, otherwise you’re limited to just a footrest on the standard model.

ShawnJ
    Oak Grove, MN

I have the tree lounge. It is very comfortable. If I owned the land I hunted, I’d be better off. That way I wouldn’t have to lug it a mile into and out of the woods. I’m going to make a cover for it because it is loud hauling it. Branches scrape against it or I bump a tree and the branches grab hold giving me a quick stop. Buckles come loose and clank against it. Like most stands, it definately has slippage troubles with popple and birch. Seemingly slight tapers to the tree you hunt result in you having to tighten the backside support bar. That means unscrewing two wingnuts, pulling out the support bar and moving it to a closer set of holes, and refastening the wing nuts. That’s a process you get used to with the seat, but is much harder to do to the foot climber. These are both loud process considering you’re removing and sliding in screws from a metal stand and also leave you in an easy position for a fall. The lounge portion is very comfortable, but more suited to the gun hunter because your arse sinks so low. Because the hams are so low, you have to use your arms to pull yourself up to a standing position. I’ve remedied this by putting on a large rectangular tupperware container between the back webbing and cushion of the lounge. This boosts me up higher and also keeps lunch from freezing. Once in place, the stand couldn’t be more comfortable. Not many creaks when adjusting positions either. I have the archer’s model so I also have a small platform that lets me stand, otherwise you’re limited to just a footrest on the standard model.

bassguy
    MANKATO

MY FAVORITE PORTABLE STAND IS THE GORILLA SIVERBACK. IT IS VERY LIGHT WEIGHT,INEXPENSIVE, AND VERY EASY TO SET UP AND TAKE DOWN. IT IS AN IDEAL STAND TO USE IN WMA’S SUCH AS WHITEWATER.

bassguy
    MANKATO

MY FAVORITE PORTABLE STAND IS THE GORILLA SIVERBACK. IT IS VERY LIGHT WEIGHT,INEXPENSIVE, AND VERY EASY TO SET UP AND TAKE DOWN. IT IS AN IDEAL STAND TO USE IN WMA’S SUCH AS WHITEWATER.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Over the 5 tree stands iv’e owned im going to buy the tree lounge next. I’m 52 and tired of screwing in spikes and leaving them in the tree until i get back to find thier gone. Also i’ve noticed that every spike is a wick to hold human scent. A whole tree with wicks running up and down it isn’t good. The API’s products is what i’ve used in the past, thier a good stand and welded very well, i used to be a welder. Api has a very good stand that ive used called the baby grand. i had three grands with thier comfortable front platform with non skid tape for footing. Don’t know much about many other besides what i can see by looking at them. I’m sure the treeloung is for me. Walk in quiet, wrap lounge around tree and shinny up, sounds the best too me.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Over the 5 tree stands iv’e owned im going to buy the tree lounge next. I’m 52 and tired of screwing in spikes and leaving them in the tree until i get back to find thier gone. Also i’ve noticed that every spike is a wick to hold human scent. A whole tree with wicks running up and down it isn’t good. The API’s products is what i’ve used in the past, thier a good stand and welded very well, i used to be a welder. Api has a very good stand that ive used called the baby grand. i had three grands with thier comfortable front platform with non skid tape for footing. Don’t know much about many other besides what i can see by looking at them. I’m sure the treeloung is for me. Walk in quiet, wrap lounge around tree and shinny up, sounds the best too me.

flick
    Alma WI

I like the River Edge stands….the lone wolf stands arent bad either

flick
    Alma WI

I like the River Edge stands….the lone wolf stands arent bad either

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

Like most stands, it definitely has slippage troubles with popple and birch. Seemingly slight tapers to the tree you hunt result in you having to tighten the backside support bar. That means unscrewing two wing nuts, pulling out the support bar and moving it to a closer set of holes, and refastening the wing nuts. That’s a process you get used to with the seat, but is much harder to do to the foot climber. These are both loud process considering you’re removing and sliding in screws from a metal stand and also leave you in an easy position for a fall.

I got the chance to practice with my Tree Lounge today, boy do I love this stand it works great!!! Shawn as far as slippage on popple and birch it says right in the manual not to use the Tree Lounge or any other climbing stand on any trees that have “shaggy Bark” including: shag bark hickory, river birch and shag cherry. It would just make sense not to use it on those trees that slip especially birch trees that commonly have lose bark.

Quote:

Seemingly slight tapers to the tree you hunt result in you having to tighten the backside support bar. That means unscrewing two wing nuts, pulling out the support bar and moving it to a closer set of holes, and refastening the wing nuts. That’s a process you get used to with the seat, but is much harder to do to the foot climber. These are both loud process considering you’re removing and sliding in screws from a metal stand and also leave you in an easy position for a fall.

I would never remove the backside support bar while up in the tree, it would be very dangerous. Here is how to fix the problem, you can purchase the Leveler Combo Pack they work in conjunction with one another and allow you to climb trees that taper. With a simple twist of the handle you can now adjust your stand to the exact level you seek. They are spendy but well worth the money.

I agree with you Shawn that the lounge portion is more suited to gun hunters, I would not use the tree lounge unless I plan on being in the tree for at least 4 hours as it is a bit of work to haul it out and get it set up. When I gun hunt I am in my stand all day and I need something comfortable, so the extra work that goes along with the tree lounge is worth it for me.

Here is the basic stand.

Here is the stand with the bow hunting platform.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

Like most stands, it definitely has slippage troubles with popple and birch. Seemingly slight tapers to the tree you hunt result in you having to tighten the backside support bar. That means unscrewing two wing nuts, pulling out the support bar and moving it to a closer set of holes, and refastening the wing nuts. That’s a process you get used to with the seat, but is much harder to do to the foot climber. These are both loud process considering you’re removing and sliding in screws from a metal stand and also leave you in an easy position for a fall.

I got the chance to practice with my Tree Lounge today, boy do I love this stand it works great!!! Shawn as far as slippage on popple and birch it says right in the manual not to use the Tree Lounge or any other climbing stand on any trees that have “shaggy Bark” including: shag bark hickory, river birch and shag cherry. It would just make sense not to use it on those trees that slip especially birch trees that commonly have lose bark.

Quote:

Seemingly slight tapers to the tree you hunt result in you having to tighten the backside support bar. That means unscrewing two wing nuts, pulling out the support bar and moving it to a closer set of holes, and refastening the wing nuts. That’s a process you get used to with the seat, but is much harder to do to the foot climber. These are both loud process considering you’re removing and sliding in screws from a metal stand and also leave you in an easy position for a fall.

I would never remove the backside support bar while up in the tree, it would be very dangerous. Here is how to fix the problem, you can purchase the Leveler Combo Pack they work in conjunction with one another and allow you to climb trees that taper. With a simple twist of the handle you can now adjust your stand to the exact level you seek. They are spendy but well worth the money.

I agree with you Shawn that the lounge portion is more suited to gun hunters, I would not use the tree lounge unless I plan on being in the tree for at least 4 hours as it is a bit of work to haul it out and get it set up. When I gun hunt I am in my stand all day and I need something comfortable, so the extra work that goes along with the tree lounge is worth it for me.

Here is the basic stand.

Here is the stand with the bow hunting platform.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I found out that Trail Hawk Tree stands out of Lacrosse went out of business They said that they could not compete with the big company’s that make tree stands over seas
    If anyone has one that they would like to sell please let me know.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I found out that Trail Hawk Tree stands out of Lacrosse went out of business They said that they could not compete with the big company’s that make tree stands over seas
    If anyone has one that they would like to sell please let me know.

ShawnJ
    Oak Grove, MN

Steve- Thanks for the info on the leveler. I’ll place my order soon. You’re right about it being dangerous to take off the back support. Real stupid too. Live fast, die young- leave a good looking corpse. I’m sure I’ll make some coyotes a nice little snack someday.

ShawnJ
    Oak Grove, MN

Steve- Thanks for the info on the leveler. I’ll place my order soon. You’re right about it being dangerous to take off the back support. Real stupid too. Live fast, die young- leave a good looking corpse. I’m sure I’ll make some coyotes a nice little snack someday.

ShawnJ
    Oak Grove, MN

Just looked at Tree Lounges site. They have “Biting Blades” that you can use in conjunction with the back brace that will help you climb and stay in, smooth bark trees. I also checked the price on the levelers. $120. That’s pretty steep, but will save you a headache or two. I bought my stand after I went out to my garden to do some weeding and the deer had eaten everything. I could have easily swallowed that extra cost then. Ebay has quite a few lounges right now and many of their accessories.

ShawnJ
    Oak Grove, MN

Just looked at Tree Lounges site. They have “Biting Blades” that you can use in conjunction with the back brace that will help you climb and stay in, smooth bark trees. I also checked the price on the levelers. $120. That’s pretty steep, but will save you a headache or two. I bought my stand after I went out to my garden to do some weeding and the deer had eaten everything. I could have easily swallowed that extra cost then. Ebay has quite a few lounges right now and many of their accessories.

smokercraft

I’ve rifle hunted out of a tree lounge for 7 years and will never go back to any other kind. I would get the leveler for top only ,it works great. I never use the bottom leveler and have no problem climbing. Look into the the carrying belt as a accessory, takes all the weight off your shoulders and puts it on your waist ! All in all a fantastic product.
    Smokercraft

smokercraft

I’ve rifle hunted out of a tree lounge for 7 years and will never go back to any other kind. I would get the leveler for top only ,it works great. I never use the bottom leveler and have no problem climbing. Look into the the carrying belt as a accessory, takes all the weight off your shoulders and puts it on your waist ! All in all a fantastic product.
    Smokercraft

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Here is a view from my tree lounge about 25 feet up.
    smokercraft, do you pack in your heavy clothes? If so how do you carry them, I have the Utility Pack from tree lounge but it is not big enough to carry my heavy coat and bibs and all my other stuff.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Here is a view from my tree lounge about 25 feet up.
    smokercraft, do you pack in your heavy clothes? If so how do you carry them, I have the Utility Pack from tree lounge but it is not big enough to carry my heavy coat and bibs and all my other stuff.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

For anyone out there, I have a Tree Lounge video. I’ll send it to anyone interested in buying a Tree Lounge. Just pm me your mailing address and I’ll get it out to you.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

For anyone out there, I have a Tree Lounge video. I’ll send it to anyone interested in buying a Tree Lounge. Just pm me your mailing address and I’ll get it out to you.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.