Late Deer season in WI (Dec 24- Jan 4)

• darin_rs
    Glen Ellyn, IL

I am going to try to give this a shot this year, if it is not sub-zero wind chills. I have two stand locations that I have and was wondering if people think I should move these? I guess I am looking for insight from those of you that have last season bow hunted in the past.

The first is in a valley that is below a ridge saddle and leads to a bedding area. I has a small plataue on the opposite side of the valley from me and is about 200 yards form a picked corn field.

The second is at a pinch point next to the bedding area and leads to the corn field. This has a shooting lane that leads to a CRP Field.

Any thoughts on what I should look for would be appreciated. I do not really care if I shoot a buck, would be nice as I have a doe, but it would be nice to see some deer.

Darin

darin_rs
    Glen Ellyn, IL

Thanks mendotaeye,

How did you do out on Lake Wisconsin this summer? Saw you got a new boat. Nice. I only fished it one day this past year.

Darin

ragerunner
    Winona, MN

Food food food. Most deer have this and this alone on their mind, especially if there is a lot of snow or ice. They normally don’t like to move much either IMO as they are trying to fatten up, but weather does have a lot to do with it.

les_welch

Beware of being in the bottom of the valley. Even with a constant wind above, the valley bottoms are very unpredictable, and usually have real swirly winds. I always pick the saddle or the shelf along the tops or side of the ridge, rather than the bottom. That said, you will have more deer travel in the bottom, but usually the big bucks will be on the side, on a much lesser traveled trail. Best of Luck. WTA

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.