So there I was…what a day!!!

• travis_eckman
    Trempealeau County, WI

Hey Hunts,

So there I was…all excited to get to one of my prime stands back at the home farm in WI for an all-day sit last Saturday, the 12th. I’m ready – bag packed, scent on, sites on, blades sharp! Heading to my stand tucked about 400 yards north of the homestead I find myself sweating like a hoho in church! It wasn’t that I felt extremely hot, but it was the excitement that poured my pores (noabigpunintenede)! I arrive at my location ~35 minutes before first light, get out my buck bomb, press the dispenser, and get a nice stream for about two ticks. Knowing that this baby should be on the spritz for much longer I leaned over to pick it up and see what the dealeeoo was…yep, got it right in the face. I placed the bb back on the ground wiped off my face (remembering not to lick my lips) and yes sir – it stopped again! Well, I learned the first time – I am not doing it again G-O-D! Mind you that I am doing all of this in the pitch black knowing exactly where I am and thinking I know what I’m doing. :coffee So I climb up to my stand and yep – I forgot my seat!?! Thinking to myself “tough it out sally it’s only a cold steel rail”.
    Yahoo I’m here…ready for the big hunt in the beautiful lull of October! My outback is in waiting to throw my gold tips with the rage. My scentlock is keeping in my b.o. and gallon of refreshments I slurrped the night before. My can, growl and roar are ready to talk…and I am READY TO HUNT!
    As light creeps in I can smell the deer (of course it could have been a mixuture of the deer dander and buck bomb I acquired). The shuffling leaves kept me on alert as I grabbed my rat bag and tickled the wood. After one very short and soft sequence I leaned over to grunt in the buck roar attached to my arm…and yep, the elastic on the call gave way sending it 30 feet below! But hey, I’ve still got my growl!
    So a couple of hours go by and I’ve got to pee like a racehorse. I reach into my handy cabela’s bag and break out my o.j. bottle. I think to myself “why should I strip down and unleash my odor when I can place the handy-dandy container inside my suit to do my biz?”. Doing the duty I am surprised that…yep, I missed the opening and warmed the entire right side of my leg.
    Yep, that was enough for me…needless to say my all-day hunt lasted for about three hours. I guess this goes to show that you can never be prepared for what will happen in the woods…
    By the way, I did not see any deer that particular morning…what a day!!!

P.S. The photos above are from the one week we had our cameras on…not bad, but the better bucks are still out there – probably laughing at my dumba** every time I travel to the woods!

coppertop
    Central MN

Maneck, Man I thought I brought alot of gear into the woods. Although there is nothing listed I would leave home w-out. BTW, Thank goodness these type of days don’t come around all the time but we’ve all had them. Great story and good or should I say better luck next time!

coppertop
    Central MN

Maneck, Man I thought I brought alot of gear into the woods. Although there is nothing listed I would leave home w-out. BTW, Thank goodness these type of days don’t come around all the time but we’ve all had them. Great story and good or should I say better luck next time!

travis_eckman
    Trempealeau County, WI

Thanks CopperTop!
    Where in central MN are you at? Right now I live in Prior Lake, teach in Owatonna, & go to school at the U of M Twin Cities. I’ve settled in Winona, New Prague, Lonsdale, Burnsville, and Prior Lake (presently), but looking to move to Owatonna. I was born & bread around LAX WI (Blair), but have also lived in Roberts, WI. I’m looking for people to 3D shoot with after the bow season – maybe competatively! You or anyone else interested!?!

BTW – THIS SITE IS FANTASTIC!!! I check the forums many times each day and use this site as a main tool to help with the movements and actions of game. The plethra of knowledge you folk exhibit are helping me become a better hunter & angler…THANK YOU ALL!!!

Maneck34 (aka Travis)

travis_eckman
    Trempealeau County, WI

Thanks CopperTop!
    Where in central MN are you at? Right now I live in Prior Lake, teach in Owatonna, & go to school at the U of M Twin Cities. I’ve settled in Winona, New Prague, Lonsdale, Burnsville, and Prior Lake (presently), but looking to move to Owatonna. I was born & bread around LAX WI (Blair), but have also lived in Roberts, WI. I’m looking for people to 3D shoot with after the bow season – maybe competatively! You or anyone else interested!?!

BTW – THIS SITE IS FANTASTIC!!! I check the forums many times each day and use this site as a main tool to help with the movements and actions of game. The plethra of knowledge you folk exhibit are helping me become a better hunter & angler…THANK YOU ALL!!!

Maneck34 (aka Travis)

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Sounds like a good day in the woods, like a couple i’ve had too lol! good hunting and nice pictures!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Sounds like a good day in the woods, like a couple i’ve had too lol! good hunting and nice pictures!

travis_eckman
    Trempealeau County, WI

Good luck to you also mossydam! I’ve always wanted to hunt Iowa…a good friend of mine grew up a mile from where the Iowa record was taken. The family farm is made up of 400+ acres of excellent land that I’ve been invited to hunt on, but I have not found the time or $ to do it yet.
    BTW my buddy has a matching set of non-typical antlers he found ~7 years ago that go close to 200″ without the spread – they are absolutely AMAZING (~24+ scorable points)! I’ll post a pic for you guys if I can snap one soon!

travis_eckman
    Trempealeau County, WI

Good luck to you also mossydam! I’ve always wanted to hunt Iowa…a good friend of mine grew up a mile from where the Iowa record was taken. The family farm is made up of 400+ acres of excellent land that I’ve been invited to hunt on, but I have not found the time or $ to do it yet.
    BTW my buddy has a matching set of non-typical antlers he found ~7 years ago that go close to 200″ without the spread – they are absolutely AMAZING (~24+ scorable points)! I’ll post a pic for you guys if I can snap one soon!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

That dosen’t surprise me a bit about the rack size. I’ve lived here most my life and hunting has been the norm from my family growing up and now and i’ve seen alot of nice deer over the years. I grew up on the edge of town here and it was a short walk to a nearby creek bottom and it wasen’t uncommon to see deer everytime I went there and some real nice ones too. Hunting anywhere in eastern Iowa is good, not a general statement eigther. Where your friends own that land is about as good as it gets in Iowa. I hunt N.E. Iowa and it dosen’t come any better then there eigther. The state record on weigh size is 440 pounds taken in Allamakee county in N.E Iowa in the 50’s or 60’s, that should keep a guy interisted.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

That dosen’t surprise me a bit about the rack size. I’ve lived here most my life and hunting has been the norm from my family growing up and now and i’ve seen alot of nice deer over the years. I grew up on the edge of town here and it was a short walk to a nearby creek bottom and it wasen’t uncommon to see deer everytime I went there and some real nice ones too. Hunting anywhere in eastern Iowa is good, not a general statement eigther. Where your friends own that land is about as good as it gets in Iowa. I hunt N.E. Iowa and it dosen’t come any better then there eigther. The state record on weigh size is 440 pounds taken in Allamakee county in N.E Iowa in the 50’s or 60’s, that should keep a guy interisted.

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

Thanks for the read and the laugh .The pee thing I can relate to, last week while hunting I had to pee bad.So I reached in my pack and took out my bottle of water open it up take a big drink and dump it out to pee in.I did my job put the lid on and like a dumb I set it on a limb of the tree instead of putting it into my pack.It falls and hits my climbing sticks and breaks open .

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

Thanks for the read and the laugh .The pee thing I can relate to, last week while hunting I had to pee bad.So I reached in my pack and took out my bottle of water open it up take a big drink and dump it out to pee in.I did my job put the lid on and like a dumb I set it on a limb of the tree instead of putting it into my pack.It falls and hits my climbing sticks and breaks open .

zimmy101
    Hager City Wisconsin

Doing the duty I am surprised that…yep, I missed the opening and warmed the entire right side of my leg.

So not only were you “pi$$ed off”…but now you were “pi$$ed on” too!

zimmy101
    Hager City Wisconsin

Doing the duty I am surprised that…yep, I missed the opening and warmed the entire right side of my leg.

So not only were you “pi$$ed off”…but now you were “pi$$ed on” too!

toddcarnes
    Milan IL

Thats a funny story, I bet alot of guys are doing some serious relating when they read it.All except me . nice pics to.

toddcarnes
    Milan IL

Thats a funny story, I bet alot of guys are doing some serious relating when they read it.All except me . nice pics to.

travis_eckman
    Trempealeau County, WI

Thanks for the replies fellas. I’ve got a ton of stories like this that are all very true…even though I probably shouldn’t admit it! I’d love to hear about some more of your true tales – maybe to make me feel better about mine! It’s funny that no matter how agile I am on the court or field – I can be a straight-up clutz when it comes to the outdoors…

travis_eckman
    Trempealeau County, WI

Thanks for the replies fellas. I’ve got a ton of stories like this that are all very true…even though I probably shouldn’t admit it! I’d love to hear about some more of your true tales – maybe to make me feel better about mine! It’s funny that no matter how agile I am on the court or field – I can be a straight-up clutz when it comes to the outdoors…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.