ban party hunting for bucks

• eyebuster
    Duluth

It does make some sense, I hate the fact that I pass on a buck during archery but ion the back of my mind know that he will be gone after Gun season! But really how would you enforce what he has proposed?

eyebuster
    Duluth

It does make some sense, I hate the fact that I pass on a buck during archery but ion the back of my mind know that he will be gone after Gun season! But really how would you enforce what he has proposed?

TazTyke
    Central Minnesota

On one hand I think party hunting in the state should be banned all together. There are lots of states that don’t have it and it works just fine.

On the other it does help control those over sized rats. I have shot many of deer that I have never put a tag on.

TazTyke
    Central Minnesota

On one hand I think party hunting in the state should be banned all together. There are lots of states that don’t have it and it works just fine.

On the other it does help control those over sized rats. I have shot many of deer that I have never put a tag on.

hoistafish1
    Long Prairie,MN

Taz, I’m just guessing but don’t be surprised when the CO is knocking on your door!

hoistafish1
    Long Prairie,MN

Taz, I’m just guessing but don’t be surprised when the CO is knocking on your door!

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

WOW hope theres a REAL good explanation for that one!!!

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

WOW hope theres a REAL good explanation for that one!!!

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I would 100% support a ban on party hunting for bucks in MN. IMHO it would go a long way in improving the chances of MN hunters in seeing more mature deer.
    To quote Gary Clancy……..

Quote:

“MN is a good deer hunting state but we could be a great deer hunting state”

With all the changes thus far to the MN deer season, mainly all the opportunities to harvest not one, not two, not three, but up to 5 does why would anyone want to shoot a young buck? The most common complaint I hear from most hunters is that they never see a mature buck and they never will if they always shoot the first buck they see. Over the last few years I have found great satisfaction passing up small bucks that I know I could have taken, I have also seen more bucks because I passed on the first buck I saw. If you have never passed on a buck before give it a try this year and you just might be surprised on how satisfying it is.
    Some of my best days in the deer woods were when I never fired a shot

Good luck to everyone this year and please remember lets be safe out there!

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I would 100% support a ban on party hunting for bucks in MN. IMHO it would go a long way in improving the chances of MN hunters in seeing more mature deer.
    To quote Gary Clancy……..

Quote:

“MN is a good deer hunting state but we could be a great deer hunting state”

With all the changes thus far to the MN deer season, mainly all the opportunities to harvest not one, not two, not three, but up to 5 does why would anyone want to shoot a young buck? The most common complaint I hear from most hunters is that they never see a mature buck and they never will if they always shoot the first buck they see. Over the last few years I have found great satisfaction passing up small bucks that I know I could have taken, I have also seen more bucks because I passed on the first buck I saw. If you have never passed on a buck before give it a try this year and you just might be surprised on how satisfying it is.
    Some of my best days in the deer woods were when I never fired a shot

Good luck to everyone this year and please remember lets be safe out there!

shayla

I read that Clancy article and kept thinking to myself “he’s right!”, we could be a GREAT hunting state if we just changed the mentality from quantity to quality!

As for you Taz, I do hope you’re just trying to stir the pot, because if not I’ll turn you in myself.

shayla

I read that Clancy article and kept thinking to myself “he’s right!”, we could be a GREAT hunting state if we just changed the mentality from quantity to quality!

As for you Taz, I do hope you’re just trying to stir the pot, because if not I’ll turn you in myself.

shayla

Taz, in all fairness I just re-read your post. Is it possible that you meant you shot many deer for other people and never put your OWN TAG on the deer, that they tagged the deer? Or, the deer never got a tag….period?

shayla

Taz, in all fairness I just re-read your post. Is it possible that you meant you shot many deer for other people and never put your OWN TAG on the deer, that they tagged the deer? Or, the deer never got a tag….period?

rcruss
    Fountain City, WI

the post was about party hunting to me I understood his comment as he never tagged a deer but others have tag his deer. I have been wrong before.

rcruss
    Fountain City, WI

the post was about party hunting to me I understood his comment as he never tagged a deer but others have tag his deer. I have been wrong before.

bucky12pt
    Isle Mn

I think there is only 1 way to do this effectivly. practice what you preace and convince others. We finally got everyone in our section (600 acres) to seriously commit to managing the deer. our rule of thumb is if your not going to put it on the wall, don’t shoot it. of course there is exceptions for younger hunters and some of the old timers, but its a step in the right direction. Our camp has been trying to get everyone together on this for about a decade now. after 3 yrs we started shooting some bigger ones and that convinced the neighbor and so on and so forth.

another thing to consider is that if you are going to pile up skinheads, take the younger ones as a mature does is 50% likely to have twins and of those twins 50% of the time it is going to be one male one female. some to seriously consider when your trying to manage a herd.
    good luck to everyone, shoot straight, be safe

bucky12pt
    Isle Mn

I think there is only 1 way to do this effectivly. practice what you preace and convince others. We finally got everyone in our section (600 acres) to seriously commit to managing the deer. our rule of thumb is if your not going to put it on the wall, don’t shoot it. of course there is exceptions for younger hunters and some of the old timers, but its a step in the right direction. Our camp has been trying to get everyone together on this for about a decade now. after 3 yrs we started shooting some bigger ones and that convinced the neighbor and so on and so forth.

another thing to consider is that if you are going to pile up skinheads, take the younger ones as a mature does is 50% likely to have twins and of those twins 50% of the time it is going to be one male one female. some to seriously consider when your trying to manage a herd.
    good luck to everyone, shoot straight, be safe

bj451
    saint michael minn

please tag and register your deer even though there are so many! kill numbers are needed for management. Also losing your truck and your hunting gear and going to court arent very fun!

bj451
    saint michael minn

please tag and register your deer even though there are so many! kill numbers are needed for management. Also losing your truck and your hunting gear and going to court arent very fun!

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

Quote:

you guys read it wrong, he is saying he used other peoples tags on bucks he shot. IE party hunting…..

Id LOVE to see a point restriction in MN with a EARN A BUCK. Party hunting has been in our roots since it started here in MN. Doing deer drives is part of hunting. do i shoot the smaller bucks? no but i have no problem letting my 86 year old uncle use my tag to see him shoot two small bucks. id let him burn my tag every year if i had too, to see the look on someones face when they are so happy that they harvested a deer it doesnt matter if it has 1 or a 100 points.

I also think we as hunters are getting WAY to obscesed with HUGE RACKS. To me the hunt is far more greater then the harvest itself.

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

Quote:

you guys read it wrong, he is saying he used other peoples tags on bucks he shot. IE party hunting…..

Id LOVE to see a point restriction in MN with a EARN A BUCK. Party hunting has been in our roots since it started here in MN. Doing deer drives is part of hunting. do i shoot the smaller bucks? no but i have no problem letting my 86 year old uncle use my tag to see him shoot two small bucks. id let him burn my tag every year if i had too, to see the look on someones face when they are so happy that they harvested a deer it doesnt matter if it has 1 or a 100 points.

I also think we as hunters are getting WAY to obscesed with HUGE RACKS. To me the hunt is far more greater then the harvest itself.

mallard_militia
    Fulton County, Illinois

I am sure Taz meant he utilized other peoples tags. That is how I read it.

I personally prefer trophy fawns or nice shooter fawns. If we end up having a harsh winter, they are the most at risk, so why not take them out while you are waiting for a big buck.

I would kind of like the rifle season to get pushed back another week or two. Every year I sit in my treestand on opener and watch the huge numbers of geese and big ducks flying. If deer hunting could wait, then I could have the best of both worlds. Kind of sellfish I know, but …

mallard_militia
    Fulton County, Illinois

I am sure Taz meant he utilized other peoples tags. That is how I read it.

I personally prefer trophy fawns or nice shooter fawns. If we end up having a harsh winter, they are the most at risk, so why not take them out while you are waiting for a big buck.

I would kind of like the rifle season to get pushed back another week or two. Every year I sit in my treestand on opener and watch the huge numbers of geese and big ducks flying. If deer hunting could wait, then I could have the best of both worlds. Kind of sellfish I know, but …

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

Party hunting has been in our roots since it started here in MN. Doing deer drives is part of hunting.

That’s how we Deer hunt. Family members with their kids. Where we Deer hunt, I see no issue with party hunting. We hunt to eat.

And before someone starts rant about us just buying a Doe Lic. to shoot Does, I’ll offer this. If I could buy the All-Season lic. and hunt the Doe season, I would. But I can’t so I won’t. I like to bow hunt and hunt the muzzleloader season.

BTW, we hunt all public land. If we pass on a scrub 8pt Buck, the guy(s) hunting away from us will tip it over for sure. QDM rarely works on public land.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

Party hunting has been in our roots since it started here in MN. Doing deer drives is part of hunting.

That’s how we Deer hunt. Family members with their kids. Where we Deer hunt, I see no issue with party hunting. We hunt to eat.

And before someone starts rant about us just buying a Doe Lic. to shoot Does, I’ll offer this. If I could buy the All-Season lic. and hunt the Doe season, I would. But I can’t so I won’t. I like to bow hunt and hunt the muzzleloader season.

BTW, we hunt all public land. If we pass on a scrub 8pt Buck, the guy(s) hunting away from us will tip it over for sure. QDM rarely works on public land.

lonewolf
    La Crosse, WI

I think the biggest problem with MN is that the Buck gun season is just way to early. The bucks at this time of year are moving a lot. They are bound to go past someone. The rut is usually in full stride, so there going to move. The season is geared to taking buck and not does. Here in WI we catch the tail end of the rut. Iowa on the other hand has the gun season in december when the buck arent moving that much and only really moving to feed. I wonder how many miles a buck puts on at the beginning of november compared to the beginning of December. I believe the difference would be big.

lonewolf
    La Crosse, WI

I think the biggest problem with MN is that the Buck gun season is just way to early. The bucks at this time of year are moving a lot. They are bound to go past someone. The rut is usually in full stride, so there going to move. The season is geared to taking buck and not does. Here in WI we catch the tail end of the rut. Iowa on the other hand has the gun season in december when the buck arent moving that much and only really moving to feed. I wonder how many miles a buck puts on at the beginning of november compared to the beginning of December. I believe the difference would be big.

elkmantom

Here are my thoughts for what they are worth.

There is nothing wrong with party hunting. The goal is to harvest deer. I have shot 15 bucks that are on my wall, one is 192 inches as a 5X5. The ONLY way to have quality bucks is to get MOST hunters educated and practicing quality deer management. Point restrictions just don’t work. Colorado proved that with elk. All it does is delay those bucks that don’t have great genetics/nutrition one more year before they are shot. I think everyone will agree that for quality deer they mean 4 years old or older and point restrictions won’t acheive that. It all has to start with a commitment to not harvest immature bucks. It has to start with each one of us. If a deer is a trophy to you it is OK to harvest it. That would include kids and elderly shooting smaller deer. The majority of the deer taken would still be mature if that happened. I don’t think it is our states responsibility to dictate to us what is a trophy in EVERYONE’S mind. They have a responsibility to manage for numbers of huntable deer.

Thanks

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.