Maxima Hunter

• big_g
    Isle, MN

I am okay. Think I’ve got away from the original post a little. I too love my Carbons. Just picked up a 1/2 dozen Maxima’s last week. They are beautiful. Run your hand the whole length, the shaft wrap is perfect. Smooth as silk. My Carbon Express 300’s have ridges the whole way. They seem rough as a corn cob next to the Maxima’s.

big g

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

shooting 2″ groups at 50 is not all that hard once you have consistant practice i have put in my time and know my equipment very well. I have more practice with this bow then i have with any other bow i have owned and i have only owned it for 9 months. I have been shooting a ton all winter and all summer!i would bet i have close to 60 hours of shooting in in 9 months. I have worked hard to get where im at with this bow and if you can’t accept that then thats your oppinion. i haven’t been able to shoot that good at that range since about a month ago when i really started to work with the bow at long range. All it’s about is being a relaxed and being comfortable and knowing everything about what your equipment can and will do. I haven’t had a group less then 5″ at 50 since june . that just shows the time and determination i have to get out there and get a big boy with confidense in my equipment. Shooting Pop ups really helped because it started to calm my nerves down and now shooting a stationary target at 50 yards is like shooting a pop up or moving target at 20.

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

shooting 2″ groups at 50 is not all that hard once you have consistant practice i have put in my time and know my equipment very well. I have more practice with this bow then i have with any other bow i have owned and i have only owned it for 9 months. I have been shooting a ton all winter and all summer!i would bet i have close to 60 hours of shooting in in 9 months. I have worked hard to get where im at with this bow and if you can’t accept that then thats your oppinion. i haven’t been able to shoot that good at that range since about a month ago when i really started to work with the bow at long range. All it’s about is being a relaxed and being comfortable and knowing everything about what your equipment can and will do. I haven’t had a group less then 5″ at 50 since june . that just shows the time and determination i have to get out there and get a big boy with confidense in my equipment. Shooting Pop ups really helped because it started to calm my nerves down and now shooting a stationary target at 50 yards is like shooting a pop up or moving target at 20.

gregh
    s.e. minn

I’m with Eron as far as thrown the bs flag!!How many times have you(bassking) had a clear shot at a real deer at 50 yrds? Popups wont help when a big doe walks out or “bucky” steps out, the only thing that helps then is tree time.Remember its harder to kill a 3-5 yr doe then it is a big buck.

gregh
    s.e. minn

I’m with Eron as far as thrown the bs flag!!How many times have you(bassking) had a clear shot at a real deer at 50 yrds? Popups wont help when a big doe walks out or “bucky” steps out, the only thing that helps then is tree time.Remember its harder to kill a 3-5 yr doe then it is a big buck.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

With today’s top end hunting bows it is nothing to get those kind of numbers. I have witnessed it myself many times. I myself can’t do it, but I can get pretty damn close. 50 yard shots in the woods? Sure it is. I helped drag a mature doe out of the woods 2 years ago that was shot at 47 yards and had a double lung shot. What is so hard to believe? Colorado elk hunting, Wyoming antelope, any state out west where mule deer are hunted-all of these usually take a longer shot than your upper Midwest government sheep shots. It happens year after year and will continue to do so. It all comes down to how well YOU shoot and know YOUR equipment.
    Now, if you want to talk ethics on long shots on live game, that is a whole different aspect and one I would rather not go into since ethics are determined by each individual perspective.
    I have had MANY opportunities to shoot an animal at 50+ yards, but choose not to myself. Not all woods are thick. I used to hunt an area that had a section that was primarily river bottoms and it was plenty open for that kind of shot. Sitting of the in the woods near watching a logging road-clear 50+ yards there as well. There are tons of scenarios where it is possible.
    Also, who are we to judge a person for how he shoots? Let’s worry more about how we shoot ourselves instead of judging others and what they choose to do.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

With today’s top end hunting bows it is nothing to get those kind of numbers. I have witnessed it myself many times. I myself can’t do it, but I can get pretty damn close. 50 yard shots in the woods? Sure it is. I helped drag a mature doe out of the woods 2 years ago that was shot at 47 yards and had a double lung shot. What is so hard to believe? Colorado elk hunting, Wyoming antelope, any state out west where mule deer are hunted-all of these usually take a longer shot than your upper Midwest government sheep shots. It happens year after year and will continue to do so. It all comes down to how well YOU shoot and know YOUR equipment.
    Now, if you want to talk ethics on long shots on live game, that is a whole different aspect and one I would rather not go into since ethics are determined by each individual perspective.
    I have had MANY opportunities to shoot an animal at 50+ yards, but choose not to myself. Not all woods are thick. I used to hunt an area that had a section that was primarily river bottoms and it was plenty open for that kind of shot. Sitting of the in the woods near watching a logging road-clear 50+ yards there as well. There are tons of scenarios where it is possible.
    Also, who are we to judge a person for how he shoots? Let’s worry more about how we shoot ourselves instead of judging others and what they choose to do.

gregh
    s.e. minn

BS flag still flyin’. I’m not judging anyone, I do have a hard time believing in 50 yrd shots in the woods, any woods unless your sittin’ on the ground. But anything is possible. Hunting mid-west vs. west totlly different beast, so don’t even go there.

gregh
    s.e. minn

BS flag still flyin’. I’m not judging anyone, I do have a hard time believing in 50 yrd shots in the woods, any woods unless your sittin’ on the ground. But anything is possible. Hunting mid-west vs. west totlly different beast, so don’t even go there.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Come on down and we can take a walk in the woods to prove my point
    Why wouldn’t we discuss West vs. Midwest? What is in question is the bow and shooting 2″ groups at 50 yards, correct? There is more to the world than WI’s government sheep. He may very well be going out west where longer shots are more pratical.
    Also, if a person is comfortable shooting to 50 or beyond, it is MUCH easier when making the closer shots

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Come on down and we can take a walk in the woods to prove my point
    Why wouldn’t we discuss West vs. Midwest? What is in question is the bow and shooting 2″ groups at 50 yards, correct? There is more to the world than WI’s government sheep. He may very well be going out west where longer shots are more pratical.
    Also, if a person is comfortable shooting to 50 or beyond, it is MUCH easier when making the closer shots

gregh
    s.e. minn

Wats, Do you really think he’s going out west? He can shoot whatever he wants at whatever he wants to etc…as far as a walk in the woods with ya, you might scare me since your 6’3 230 plus WI just doesn’t intrest me, I’ve got better things to do

gregh
    s.e. minn

Wats, Do you really think he’s going out west? He can shoot whatever he wants at whatever he wants to etc…as far as a walk in the woods with ya, you might scare me since your 6’3 230 plus WI just doesn’t intrest me, I’ve got better things to do

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Maybe he will when he gets a little older
    You are not alone, WI deer really don’t interest me that much anymore either Now if I could put a 50 yard shot on a coyote with a bow, I would be doing cartwheels all the way across the state But, that is not likely to happen

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Maybe he will when he gets a little older
    You are not alone, WI deer really don’t interest me that much anymore either Now if I could put a 50 yard shot on a coyote with a bow, I would be doing cartwheels all the way across the state But, that is not likely to happen

gregh
    s.e. minn

it could in a “clear woods or down a logging road”

gregh
    s.e. minn

it could in a “clear woods or down a logging road”

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

I never said any thing about doing it in the woods i said that i am getting a 2″ group at 50 yards! whats so hard to understand about that? I never said i was going to go out and take a shot at a deer that is standing behind a tree . You guys are just jealous at all the time i have put in while you guys are stuck at the office>.! If an oppurtunity presents it’s self to kill a nice deer at 50 yards i will feel confident. Example: My uncles buddy 3-4 years ago shoots an 18 pointer through the guts at 55 yards! no practice at this distance before but couldn’t pass up the oppurtunity. He stuck him in the guts and got him to hunch up until he could walk up closer and finish him off. Yes i do have proof of this i will get pictures of this deer on here after this weekend. I have seen the full body mount! throw the BS flag all you want but will you be ready out to 50 yards? I know i will!

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

I never said any thing about doing it in the woods i said that i am getting a 2″ group at 50 yards! whats so hard to understand about that? I never said i was going to go out and take a shot at a deer that is standing behind a tree . You guys are just jealous at all the time i have put in while you guys are stuck at the office>.! If an oppurtunity presents it’s self to kill a nice deer at 50 yards i will feel confident. Example: My uncles buddy 3-4 years ago shoots an 18 pointer through the guts at 55 yards! no practice at this distance before but couldn’t pass up the oppurtunity. He stuck him in the guts and got him to hunch up until he could walk up closer and finish him off. Yes i do have proof of this i will get pictures of this deer on here after this weekend. I have seen the full body mount! throw the BS flag all you want but will you be ready out to 50 yards? I know i will!

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

Come on BassKing 27. Don’t provoke people with taunts like that. you are out of your league

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

Come on BassKing 27. Don’t provoke people with taunts like that. you are out of your league

gregh
    s.e. minn

Bassking, I’m really glad your going to be ready!!Talks cheap and remember most of the guy’s on this site have been shooting a bow longer then you’ve been alive.I’m one of those guys and I’m coming from a hunters point of view—-50 yrd shots are not high percentage shots!!The animal needs to be taken down quickly, the remark about your uncles buddy and his 50 yrd shot just prove’s my point.Like I said earlier “I’m glad YOUR ready”

gregh
    s.e. minn

Bassking, I’m really glad your going to be ready!!Talks cheap and remember most of the guy’s on this site have been shooting a bow longer then you’ve been alive.I’m one of those guys and I’m coming from a hunters point of view—-50 yrd shots are not high percentage shots!!The animal needs to be taken down quickly, the remark about your uncles buddy and his 50 yrd shot just prove’s my point.Like I said earlier “I’m glad YOUR ready”

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

I said if the shot addresses it’s self then theres nothing wrong in my mind with taking that shot if you are comfortable with that distance. That’s where im coming from anyway! if you feel confident out to 50 yards than thats your comfort zone. I personally will never go out farther than 60 yards to kill an animal. I have taken 100 yard shots before so 50 yards isn’t that big of a deal in my mind. In 12 shots i hit a ballon at 100 yards at a shoot out event that my uncle hosted. Peoples confidence levles differ! i personally know my abbility of what i can and can not get away with. It’s not like im trying this with an old stick bow. Im using top of the line equipment that was just purchased in december last year. After dropping close to 1000 on equipment i expect it to perform as well as it does! If you guys want to question me anymore than pm me!

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

I said if the shot addresses it’s self then theres nothing wrong in my mind with taking that shot if you are comfortable with that distance. That’s where im coming from anyway! if you feel confident out to 50 yards than thats your comfort zone. I personally will never go out farther than 60 yards to kill an animal. I have taken 100 yard shots before so 50 yards isn’t that big of a deal in my mind. In 12 shots i hit a ballon at 100 yards at a shoot out event that my uncle hosted. Peoples confidence levles differ! i personally know my abbility of what i can and can not get away with. It’s not like im trying this with an old stick bow. Im using top of the line equipment that was just purchased in december last year. After dropping close to 1000 on equipment i expect it to perform as well as it does! If you guys want to question me anymore than pm me!

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

About my uncles buddies deer i would bet that it was down faster than most people can kill a deer with a bow or a riffle for that matter! less than 3 minutes!

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

About my uncles buddies deer i would bet that it was down faster than most people can kill a deer with a bow or a riffle for that matter! less than 3 minutes!

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I am going to play devil’s advocate here as well as say my personal opinion on taking long shots at game. I have no doubt you can shoot well But, I do agree with the coyote223 about the gut shot deer. That is not something to brag about. It is a VERY low percentage shot distance. My personal opinion for hunting situations on WT deer is too NOT take shots over 30 yards. My longest shot on a deer from a treestand was 22 yards, the shortest was 3 yards. My average is around 15 yards. FOr practice, long range will build your confidence, but out of respect for the deer, long risky shots should never be taken.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I am going to play devil’s advocate here as well as say my personal opinion on taking long shots at game. I have no doubt you can shoot well But, I do agree with the coyote223 about the gut shot deer. That is not something to brag about. It is a VERY low percentage shot distance. My personal opinion for hunting situations on WT deer is too NOT take shots over 30 yards. My longest shot on a deer from a treestand was 22 yards, the shortest was 3 yards. My average is around 15 yards. FOr practice, long range will build your confidence, but out of respect for the deer, long risky shots should never be taken.

gregh
    s.e. minn

Come on——-Gut shot deer in three min.? Did it run out in the road and get smacked by a car after it was gut shot or what!

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 129 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.