Maxima Hunter

• lenny_jamison
    Participant
    Bay City , WI

What’s up buddy? I was wondering if you got the message. What do ya know?
    I think we should get Joe and hit the archery range one evening. What do you think?

zimmy101
    Participant
    Hager City Wisconsin

The archery range up by the David Motel??? If so…just give me a jiggle! I’m in the book.
    I’m sure they have the broadhead target out now. Or have you been up there already and just setting me up???

zimmy101
    Participant
    Hager City Wisconsin

The archery range up by the David Motel??? If so…just give me a jiggle! I’m in the book.
    I’m sure they have the broadhead target out now. Or have you been up there already and just setting me up???

mossydan
    Participant
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Ive shot a bow quite awhile too and when i was shooting all the time i was pretty good and i knew if i didn’t flinch my arrow was going to hit where i was aiming, i practiced alot. A 50 yrd shot is a very possible shot but it depends on how much a shooter practices at that range and what the deers doing, is it quartering away or broadside, a fw things depend on this shot that isn’t as important at 20 to 30 yrds. I know its a good belief in taking a deer under 40 yrds because of the way bows and arrows work but if the right shot comes along at 50 i think its ok too shoot at that distance too. If i had a 170 class buck stop and turn sideways and it was a clear shot and i’ve been practicing at 50 and shooting tight groups i would take the shot. Here in Iowa i can show you woods that you can’t even see throgh and then i can show you woods where theres alot of ravines with tall oak trees that are 100 yrds to the other side and have 5 shooting lanes through them so i know 50 yrds shotsare very possible here in a mature timber, young growth is another story. Theres lots of meadow and clearing shots also.Iwould only take a 50 yard shot at the right deer and had been practiceing alot and getting accurate results and i knew i was going to hit the vitals, you can tell. Theres no diffrence in shooting at 20 yrds and 50 yrds and getting accurate results, if your shooting good groups and doing it consistantly and the right deer shows himself i don’t see anything wrong with it but it has to be done right with the right equipment. I have two friends and they both shoot bows and have longer than i have. She tried out for the olympic tryouts and scored very well and you wouldn’t want to stand infront of her at 100 yrds she was that accurate but shot a slower more forgiving bow for targets instead of a faster bow for hunting, so the right equipment has to be used for a shot at this yardage and its done all the time elk, mountain goat and sheep hunting. A guy that practices at 30 to 50 yrds all the time and as much as anyone else does at 20 to 30 is going to be just about as good as the ones that shoot at closer distances, human errorcomes into play here at farther yardages but it dosen’t amount to much when the vitals are as big as a dinner plate on the right day. With todays bows shooting at the speeds they do a 50 yrd shot is going to be there in under 1/2 second and with a shooter that shot 100’s of arrows at farther yardages hes going to be just as good as a guy shooting at closer distances because hes learned his shots and what it takes to shoot at 50 yrds. If hes learned everything that he should know theres nothing wrong with it, if i were going elk hunting i’d practice at 50 to 70 yrds for that shot. It all depends on the hunter and if hes laying them home where they should be, if he is and the conditions are acceptable then its a kill shot.

mossydan
    Participant
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Ive shot a bow quite awhile too and when i was shooting all the time i was pretty good and i knew if i didn’t flinch my arrow was going to hit where i was aiming, i practiced alot. A 50 yrd shot is a very possible shot but it depends on how much a shooter practices at that range and what the deers doing, is it quartering away or broadside, a fw things depend on this shot that isn’t as important at 20 to 30 yrds. I know its a good belief in taking a deer under 40 yrds because of the way bows and arrows work but if the right shot comes along at 50 i think its ok too shoot at that distance too. If i had a 170 class buck stop and turn sideways and it was a clear shot and i’ve been practicing at 50 and shooting tight groups i would take the shot. Here in Iowa i can show you woods that you can’t even see throgh and then i can show you woods where theres alot of ravines with tall oak trees that are 100 yrds to the other side and have 5 shooting lanes through them so i know 50 yrds shotsare very possible here in a mature timber, young growth is another story. Theres lots of meadow and clearing shots also.Iwould only take a 50 yard shot at the right deer and had been practiceing alot and getting accurate results and i knew i was going to hit the vitals, you can tell. Theres no diffrence in shooting at 20 yrds and 50 yrds and getting accurate results, if your shooting good groups and doing it consistantly and the right deer shows himself i don’t see anything wrong with it but it has to be done right with the right equipment. I have two friends and they both shoot bows and have longer than i have. She tried out for the olympic tryouts and scored very well and you wouldn’t want to stand infront of her at 100 yrds she was that accurate but shot a slower more forgiving bow for targets instead of a faster bow for hunting, so the right equipment has to be used for a shot at this yardage and its done all the time elk, mountain goat and sheep hunting. A guy that practices at 30 to 50 yrds all the time and as much as anyone else does at 20 to 30 is going to be just about as good as the ones that shoot at closer distances, human errorcomes into play here at farther yardages but it dosen’t amount to much when the vitals are as big as a dinner plate on the right day. With todays bows shooting at the speeds they do a 50 yrd shot is going to be there in under 1/2 second and with a shooter that shot 100’s of arrows at farther yardages hes going to be just as good as a guy shooting at closer distances because hes learned his shots and what it takes to shoot at 50 yrds. If hes learned everything that he should know theres nothing wrong with it, if i were going elk hunting i’d practice at 50 to 70 yrds for that shot. It all depends on the hunter and if hes laying them home where they should be, if he is and the conditions are acceptable then its a kill shot.

zimmy101
    Participant
    Hager City Wisconsin

Quote:

I said if the shot addresses it’s self then theres nothing wrong in my mind with taking that shot if you are comfortable with that distance. That’s where im coming from anyway! if you feel confident out to 50 yards than thats your comfort zone. I personally will never go out farther than 60 yards to kill an animal. I have taken 100 yard shots before so 50 yards isn’t that big of a deal in my mind. In 12 shots i hit a ballon at 100 yards at a shoot out event that my uncle hosted. Peoples confidence levles differ! i personally know my abbility of what i can and can not get away with. It’s not like im trying this with an old stick bow. Im using top of the line equipment that was just purchased in december last year. After dropping close to 1000 on equipment i expect it to perform as well as it does! If you guys want to question me anymore than pm me!

Are you using a magnified lense on your sight?? For me to hit a target at 100 yards…I’d need my binoculars duct taped to the side of my bow!
    Are you shooting expandables, because I’d find it awful hard to keep a 2 inch group at fifty yards with fixed blades. Just me I guess??

zimmy101
    Participant
    Hager City Wisconsin

Quote:

I said if the shot addresses it’s self then theres nothing wrong in my mind with taking that shot if you are comfortable with that distance. That’s where im coming from anyway! if you feel confident out to 50 yards than thats your comfort zone. I personally will never go out farther than 60 yards to kill an animal. I have taken 100 yard shots before so 50 yards isn’t that big of a deal in my mind. In 12 shots i hit a ballon at 100 yards at a shoot out event that my uncle hosted. Peoples confidence levles differ! i personally know my abbility of what i can and can not get away with. It’s not like im trying this with an old stick bow. Im using top of the line equipment that was just purchased in december last year. After dropping close to 1000 on equipment i expect it to perform as well as it does! If you guys want to question me anymore than pm me!

Are you using a magnified lense on your sight?? For me to hit a target at 100 yards…I’d need my binoculars duct taped to the side of my bow!
    Are you shooting expandables, because I’d find it awful hard to keep a 2 inch group at fifty yards with fixed blades. Just me I guess??

robstenger
    Participant
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

I would like to commend Bass King on his practice ethics. He has obviously been putting in the hours to make sure when the time comes to cut hair he can do it as humanely as possible.

I have been bowhunting for a lot of years and I also shoot longer distances (yes, out to 50 yards) when practicing. I think it is excellent preparation for hunting. I feel if I am confident at those ranges when a 30 yard shot wanders along there is no doubt where my arrow is going to hit.

Would I shoot a deer at fifty yards? No, but knowing I could makes my ideal in the woods shot (30 yards or less) a whole lot easier.

As for the bad attitudes shown in some of the responses to this post, degrading people and ridicule are not the way to teach people to be a better sportsman. Maybe Bass King still has a thing or two to learn about bowhunting (who doesn’t???) but this is not the way. He has not yet had the benefit of the years in the woods that you do.

I guess the way I see if you don’t have something good or constructive to say then why bother saying it?????

My two cents.

The best two cents I have heard in awhile in this thread Gator, my thoughts exactly. I also practice longer/extended distances 40, 50 , 60, 70 yards. Like others mentioned previous, it makes you a ton more confident at the shorter shots, but I personally would not take a deer over 40 yards (40 yards would have to be perfect conditions) even with top of the line equipment I have. There are too many other variables and factors that you the hunter can not control, even if you are dead nuts at 40-60 yards. The % of recovering that deer goes down drastically on shots greater than 40 yards. Like Watson said, my longest shot on the 6 bucks I have taken with my bow is 22 yards. Deer hunting for me is not about harvesting a buck, it is a bout experiencing the outdoors and about outwitting that mature buck on his home field. To harvest a mature buck there is no doubt, luck has to be on your side. To be able to have an encounter at 30 yards or less with a mature buck on his terms and his ground, you have won the battle in my opinion.

Let’s stop the bashing and bickering now. If you have a comment on the Maxima Hunter shafts by Carbon Express, let’s hear it. If not, let this thread die and lets move on.

Only 6 more days.

robstenger
    Participant
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

I would like to commend Bass King on his practice ethics. He has obviously been putting in the hours to make sure when the time comes to cut hair he can do it as humanely as possible.

I have been bowhunting for a lot of years and I also shoot longer distances (yes, out to 50 yards) when practicing. I think it is excellent preparation for hunting. I feel if I am confident at those ranges when a 30 yard shot wanders along there is no doubt where my arrow is going to hit.

Would I shoot a deer at fifty yards? No, but knowing I could makes my ideal in the woods shot (30 yards or less) a whole lot easier.

As for the bad attitudes shown in some of the responses to this post, degrading people and ridicule are not the way to teach people to be a better sportsman. Maybe Bass King still has a thing or two to learn about bowhunting (who doesn’t???) but this is not the way. He has not yet had the benefit of the years in the woods that you do.

I guess the way I see if you don’t have something good or constructive to say then why bother saying it?????

My two cents.

The best two cents I have heard in awhile in this thread Gator, my thoughts exactly. I also practice longer/extended distances 40, 50 , 60, 70 yards. Like others mentioned previous, it makes you a ton more confident at the shorter shots, but I personally would not take a deer over 40 yards (40 yards would have to be perfect conditions) even with top of the line equipment I have. There are too many other variables and factors that you the hunter can not control, even if you are dead nuts at 40-60 yards. The % of recovering that deer goes down drastically on shots greater than 40 yards. Like Watson said, my longest shot on the 6 bucks I have taken with my bow is 22 yards. Deer hunting for me is not about harvesting a buck, it is a bout experiencing the outdoors and about outwitting that mature buck on his home field. To harvest a mature buck there is no doubt, luck has to be on your side. To be able to have an encounter at 30 yards or less with a mature buck on his terms and his ground, you have won the battle in my opinion.

Let’s stop the bashing and bickering now. If you have a comment on the Maxima Hunter shafts by Carbon Express, let’s hear it. If not, let this thread die and lets move on.

Only 6 more days.

Viewing 9 posts - 121 through 129 (of 129 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.