Maxima Hunter

• mwchiefs
    Participant
    Red Wing, MN

Was I the last remaining aluminum arrow-using holdout? I think I may have been. I’ve debated on switching to carbons for a while now, but all I kept hearing was that carbon shooters have a lot less pass-throughs than aluminum shooters, so understandably I’ve been reluctant to make the switch. I did do it, though, this past weekend after reading about the new Carbon Express Maxima Hunter carbons. I picked up half a dozen of them and absolutely could not believe the difference between them and my XX78’s. Talk about speed! To be honest, I feel a little ignorant for having waited so long, but all I had to go off of was what I was hearing. The thing that turned me on to the Maxima’s was that I’d heard they virtually eliminated the problem with the pass-throughs via better weight distribution. Obviously I have no idea if this is true about the penetration or not – yet – so I’m wondering what everyone else’s idea(s) are on this? Do those of you that switched to carbons have any problems with lack of penetration? I’m hoping I won’t encounter that because I’ve never had that happen with aluminums, but my gut feeling is that it won’t happen with these, either. Also, I’m kind of wondering what everyone else’s set-ups are. Myself, I shoot a Hoyt Razortec with Impact Archery sights and a QAD Ultra-Rest Pro-Series! I tried posting a couple pics of my bow and the arrows I’m referring to, but it’s not working for me.
    By the way, I’m going nuts waiting for next weekend.

Mark

muskyman
    Participant
    Arkansaw, Wisconsin

Well the age old question rises again It doesn’t matter on a double lung hit, you will get a pass thru with either. I personally shoot Gold Tip XT Hunters which is 8.2 grains per inch, which is on the light side. This suits me because sometimes when I’m hunting I have the possibility to shoot to 50 yards. I personally like a flatter shooting arrow….you don’t need a ton of kinetic energy if your putting it right where it should go and for me, it helps with accuracy. My $.02

muskyman
    Participant
    Arkansaw, Wisconsin

Well the age old question rises again It doesn’t matter on a double lung hit, you will get a pass thru with either. I personally shoot Gold Tip XT Hunters which is 8.2 grains per inch, which is on the light side. This suits me because sometimes when I’m hunting I have the possibility to shoot to 50 yards. I personally like a flatter shooting arrow….you don’t need a ton of kinetic energy if your putting it right where it should go and for me, it helps with accuracy. My $.02

thegun
    Participant
    mn

shoot them myself had great luck with them! they are a nice flat shooting arow! my 20 yard pin is my 40 yard pin! if that tells ya anything!

Your going to love them and i know youll never go back!

thegun
    Participant
    mn

shoot them myself had great luck with them! they are a nice flat shooting arow! my 20 yard pin is my 40 yard pin! if that tells ya anything!

Your going to love them and i know youll never go back!

gregh
    Participant
    s.e. minn

“your 20 yard pin is your 40 also” I’m guessing you are compensating by raising on your target? thats why its the same pin??? or are you saying you use the 20 yrd just the same out to 40yards.That would be hard to believe!!

gregh
    Participant
    s.e. minn

“your 20 yard pin is your 40 also” I’m guessing you are compensating by raising on your target? thats why its the same pin??? or are you saying you use the 20 yrd just the same out to 40yards.That would be hard to believe!!

vikefanmn77
    Participant
    Northfield,MN

got my first last year with carbon, went right through BUT I dont see that as a problem

vikefanmn77
    Participant
    Northfield,MN

got my first last year with carbon, went right through BUT I dont see that as a problem

powercamo
    Participant
    Saint Paul

I shoot the Maxima 350’s with my Switchback. All I can say is the only reason to shoot aluminum arrows is the expense of carbons. Faster, flatter shooting less arrow vibration and I personally have much more confidence in carbons. I started shooting carbons many years ago. They were Beman carbons made in France with my old Bear Alaskan. First shot on a buck was a pass through and stuck it in the dirt. Never looked back to aluminum.

powercamo
    Participant
    Saint Paul

I shoot the Maxima 350’s with my Switchback. All I can say is the only reason to shoot aluminum arrows is the expense of carbons. Faster, flatter shooting less arrow vibration and I personally have much more confidence in carbons. I started shooting carbons many years ago. They were Beman carbons made in France with my old Bear Alaskan. First shot on a buck was a pass through and stuck it in the dirt. Never looked back to aluminum.

danno34
    Participant

My 20 yard is now my 40 And then my alarm clock went off,And I am late for work

danno34
    Participant

My 20 yard is now my 40 And then my alarm clock went off,And I am late for work

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

I would agree with this, if you are shooting 2″ groups at 20, and 4″ groups at 40.

big g

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

I would agree with this, if you are shooting 2″ groups at 20, and 4″ groups at 40.

big g

gregh
    Participant
    s.e. minn

Big G what are you agree with??

gregh
    Participant
    s.e. minn

Big G what are you agree with??

muskyman
    Participant
    Arkansaw, Wisconsin

I don’t know why it’s so hard for you guys to believe the 20 yard pin and 40 being the same? Maybe he’s like me and has an adjustable sight But that’s the only way

muskyman
    Participant
    Arkansaw, Wisconsin

I don’t know why it’s so hard for you guys to believe the 20 yard pin and 40 being the same? Maybe he’s like me and has an adjustable sight But that’s the only way

eyebuster
    Participant
    Duluth

How far off is it at 30? wouldnt you just use a single pin then? Not sayin I don’t believe youcuz I have heard of it happening but wouldnt you take out the confusion and just use one.

eyebuster
    Participant
    Duluth

How far off is it at 30? wouldnt you just use a single pin then? Not sayin I don’t believe youcuz I have heard of it happening but wouldnt you take out the confusion and just use one.

bassking27
    Participant
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

Carbon arrows are awsome!I shoot CX300s and couldn’t be happier with them! after getting the new bow and arrows my groups started shrinking first i started at a 6″ group then down to 4″ Then the bow blew up on me so i had to start all over. now im down to the point where i need to have my arrows refletched every month because the group is so tight. The best way i have found to increase shooting accurace is shoot! I shot a league which went for 10 weeks i was at the range twice a week a couple hours a night for 10 weeks. I can’t even tell you how much this helped my form which then improved my accuracy. I am going out to shoot this weekend to make sure im locked in still then it’s thooooowhack for Bucky! One thing that you should always check on carbons pretty much every time you knock the arrow is that the arrow is not split at all! i stress this a ton! you can’t believe how much harm this does to a bow! After all the time i put in at the range last winter i witnessed this happen twice! make sure you don’t shoot an arrow with a split in it if it catches on your rest on the release it can shatter the arrow in you face or if it releases it is just like a dry fire if it brakes because of the lack of resistance on the string. I would shoot carbons any day of the week though! my archery guy is trying to talk me into Carbon tech arrows may have to expiriment I would have to agree aluminums pack more of a punch because of the fatter shaft that slow the arrows down more how ever i don’t think this makes them more deadly If you hit a deer going a hundred miles an hour with a car and hit one at 50 which is going to die first? I would put my money on the one that just got Drilled by the car doing 100.

bassking27
    Participant
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

Carbon arrows are awsome!I shoot CX300s and couldn’t be happier with them! after getting the new bow and arrows my groups started shrinking first i started at a 6″ group then down to 4″ Then the bow blew up on me so i had to start all over. now im down to the point where i need to have my arrows refletched every month because the group is so tight. The best way i have found to increase shooting accurace is shoot! I shot a league which went for 10 weeks i was at the range twice a week a couple hours a night for 10 weeks. I can’t even tell you how much this helped my form which then improved my accuracy. I am going out to shoot this weekend to make sure im locked in still then it’s thooooowhack for Bucky! One thing that you should always check on carbons pretty much every time you knock the arrow is that the arrow is not split at all! i stress this a ton! you can’t believe how much harm this does to a bow! After all the time i put in at the range last winter i witnessed this happen twice! make sure you don’t shoot an arrow with a split in it if it catches on your rest on the release it can shatter the arrow in you face or if it releases it is just like a dry fire if it brakes because of the lack of resistance on the string. I would shoot carbons any day of the week though! my archery guy is trying to talk me into Carbon tech arrows may have to expiriment I would have to agree aluminums pack more of a punch because of the fatter shaft that slow the arrows down more how ever i don’t think this makes them more deadly If you hit a deer going a hundred miles an hour with a car and hit one at 50 which is going to die first? I would put my money on the one that just got Drilled by the car doing 100.

gregh
    Participant
    s.e. minn

Adjustable sight would be the ONLY way!!

gregh
    Participant
    s.e. minn

Adjustable sight would be the ONLY way!!

gregh
    Participant
    s.e. minn

Just alittle FYI Bassking, shoot at other spots on the target, would save you some money!! Groups really don’t mean much to me cause you only need 1 arrow when it counts.

gregh
    Participant
    s.e. minn

Just alittle FYI Bassking, shoot at other spots on the target, would save you some money!! Groups really don’t mean much to me cause you only need 1 arrow when it counts.

bassking27
    Participant
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

nope i know it doesn’t cost that much when you buy feathers in bulk and refletch them your self like i do! what i will shoot at different targets after i feel the bow is sited in well enough. The big problom i have with my fletchings is when i shoot leauge and you have 3-4 guys shooting at the same spot on a pop up target. that is why i started refletching my own. most of the time i can get away with straightening them out with steam. It’s not so bad now that i have the bow sighted in good enough to my standards. 2″ group at 50 yards

bassking27
    Participant
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

nope i know it doesn’t cost that much when you buy feathers in bulk and refletch them your self like i do! what i will shoot at different targets after i feel the bow is sited in well enough. The big problom i have with my fletchings is when i shoot leauge and you have 3-4 guys shooting at the same spot on a pop up target. that is why i started refletching my own. most of the time i can get away with straightening them out with steam. It’s not so bad now that i have the bow sighted in good enough to my standards. 2″ group at 50 yards

gregh
    Participant
    s.e. minn

2″ groups at 50 yards indoors, 50 yrd shots don’t happen in the woods with the trees movin’ and the wind blowin’. Thats when it counts. Good luck

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 129 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.