What type of pistol to get?

• revhoot
    Rochester, MN

I would really like to get into pistol hunting for deer. I hunt in se mn and was curious what everyone else uses. I have heard good things about a savage striker, a thompson encore, and even the 460 or 500 s&w. Does anyone have any input about what to get or what not to get? Thanks

basswalleye
    Gibbon Nebraska

I have shot many deer with a revolver 44 Mag. with 240 gr. bullets and they go completely thru them. So I backed off to 180gr. and they once in awhile don’t so now I use 200gr. and everything is great more velocity this way and complete penatration. my 2 cents!

basswalleye
    Gibbon Nebraska

I have shot many deer with a revolver 44 Mag. with 240 gr. bullets and they go completely thru them. So I backed off to 180gr. and they once in awhile don’t so now I use 200gr. and everything is great more velocity this way and complete penatration. my 2 cents!

eyebuster
    Duluth

My hunting partner uses the .480 sometimes on drives and he hit one last year and it almost exploded, I have always thought the 41 mag would be perfect for deer. my .02

eyebuster
    Duluth

My hunting partner uses the .480 sometimes on drives and he hit one last year and it almost exploded, I have always thought the 41 mag would be perfect for deer. my .02

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I have a Colt Anaconda and it does a great job dropping Deer. I don’t believe you can go wrong with a 44 mag handgun.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I have a Colt Anaconda and it does a great job dropping Deer. I don’t believe you can go wrong with a 44 mag handgun.

robby
    Quad Cities

.44 mag does a fine job and ammo is plentiful and relatively inexpensive. The .41mag would also be a great round, but ammo is more difficult to find. I have shot the .454 Casull and hope that I never have to fire it again, too much recoil. Makes your hands numb. The .480 Ruger is a sweetie also, would work fine but ammo is expensive and not so plentiful. I have not fired the .500, but it sounds like more gun than would be needed. The key to deer hunting w/ a pistol is shot placement and using an ammunition specifically engineered for hunting. I started hunting deer with Winchester White box 240gr. soft points, the accuracy and price were great. The problem is I got a .44 dia entrance and a .44 dia exit wound. Hollow points have proved much more effective and efficient. Have fun hand gunnin’. Check out the Winchester Platinum line of ammo, I really like it.

robby
    Quad Cities

.44 mag does a fine job and ammo is plentiful and relatively inexpensive. The .41mag would also be a great round, but ammo is more difficult to find. I have shot the .454 Casull and hope that I never have to fire it again, too much recoil. Makes your hands numb. The .480 Ruger is a sweetie also, would work fine but ammo is expensive and not so plentiful. I have not fired the .500, but it sounds like more gun than would be needed. The key to deer hunting w/ a pistol is shot placement and using an ammunition specifically engineered for hunting. I started hunting deer with Winchester White box 240gr. soft points, the accuracy and price were great. The problem is I got a .44 dia entrance and a .44 dia exit wound. Hollow points have proved much more effective and efficient. Have fun hand gunnin’. Check out the Winchester Platinum line of ammo, I really like it.

revhoot
    Rochester, MN

Thanks everyone for the info. One more question… What type of range are we looking at with a 44? I am looking for something that I can put a scope and a bipod on and really reach out and touch something

revhoot
    Rochester, MN

Thanks everyone for the info. One more question… What type of range are we looking at with a 44? I am looking for something that I can put a scope and a bipod on and really reach out and touch something

herefishyfishy
    MN

I can shoot fairly accurately at fifty yards with no rest. All would depend on the weight of the bullet you choose and the amount of practice. I prefer 180 to 200 gr weight, they do just fine for whitetails. Have for me anyway. I bowhunt in the se and pistol hunt northern mn. As far as gun hunting goes its an awesome challenge and fun alternative to the rifle. Have fun and be safe

herefishyfishy
    MN

I can shoot fairly accurately at fifty yards with no rest. All would depend on the weight of the bullet you choose and the amount of practice. I prefer 180 to 200 gr weight, they do just fine for whitetails. Have for me anyway. I bowhunt in the se and pistol hunt northern mn. As far as gun hunting goes its an awesome challenge and fun alternative to the rifle. Have fun and be safe

herefishyfishy
    MN

Hey Robby…. What have you found in 180 or 200 grain thats hollow point and not just soft point?

herefishyfishy
    MN

Hey Robby…. What have you found in 180 or 200 grain thats hollow point and not just soft point?

fuzz16f
    dover mn

i have a ruger 44 mag super black 7 1/2 barrel great for deer hunting only shot less than 20 times $350.00 give me a call 507-259-2785 thanks dan

fuzz16f
    dover mn

i have a ruger 44 mag super black 7 1/2 barrel great for deer hunting only shot less than 20 times $350.00 give me a call 507-259-2785 thanks dan

robby
    Quad Cities

I am currently shooting 255 grain bullets. I used to have a Leupold Gilmore red-dot w/ 3 mil dot on this gun and stayed in practice. With a rest I could put 6 of 6 in an 8 inch circle at 100 yards. The trigger has had some work on it for the record. Only problem is that I hated the balance of the pistol w/ the scope on it. I took the scope off and now keep my shots to within 50 yards and am proficient. Most days I carry the pistol and a muzzleloader. If it is close the pistol does the job, if it is not the muzzleloader does. The pistol w/o scope is just easier to pack around in a holster.

robby
    Quad Cities

I am currently shooting 255 grain bullets. I used to have a Leupold Gilmore red-dot w/ 3 mil dot on this gun and stayed in practice. With a rest I could put 6 of 6 in an 8 inch circle at 100 yards. The trigger has had some work on it for the record. Only problem is that I hated the balance of the pistol w/ the scope on it. I took the scope off and now keep my shots to within 50 yards and am proficient. Most days I carry the pistol and a muzzleloader. If it is close the pistol does the job, if it is not the muzzleloader does. The pistol w/o scope is just easier to pack around in a holster.

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

what bout a 308 single shot? it has the bark and bite and can reach pretty darn far too

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

what bout a 308 single shot? it has the bark and bite and can reach pretty darn far too

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.