Deer Movement

• putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Question for you guys still out there chasing deer. The areas I have been hunting for the past 10 days are not showing much deer activity and what movement there is seems to be occuring over night. Anyone else seeing this or am I in the wrong spots? Possibly the full moon phase has something to do with it?

big dad
    Rochester, Minnesota

Seems different areas, different patterns. In our area (North of Rochester), we are seeing daytime deer movement near the levels we saw very early in the bow season. Last Saturday,3 of us saw a total of 30+ the last 3 hours of the day. Does and fawns are back to being rather careless and can be taken easily. However the bigger bucks are only giving us a fleeting look at 100 yards – they got well educated during gun season and we are only seeing them way out in wide open spaces, walking ridge and hill tops, or in very thick brush, all scenarios keeping them well out of bow range. We have filled all the tags we needed to and will spend the last two weeks of bow season trying to get a poke at a big one. Been a great year! The deer are plentiful and fat and healthy. Beautiful weather coming up this weekend – looking forward to being out!

big dad
    Rochester, Minnesota

Seems different areas, different patterns. In our area (North of Rochester), we are seeing daytime deer movement near the levels we saw very early in the bow season. Last Saturday,3 of us saw a total of 30+ the last 3 hours of the day. Does and fawns are back to being rather careless and can be taken easily. However the bigger bucks are only giving us a fleeting look at 100 yards – they got well educated during gun season and we are only seeing them way out in wide open spaces, walking ridge and hill tops, or in very thick brush, all scenarios keeping them well out of bow range. We have filled all the tags we needed to and will spend the last two weeks of bow season trying to get a poke at a big one. Been a great year! The deer are plentiful and fat and healthy. Beautiful weather coming up this weekend – looking forward to being out!

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

I’d say they moved to a better feeding area. I know where I hunt there are still a ton of deer. But they have a good field to go to. I have noticed their patterns change alot, mainly there scedules. I know they are getting into peoples feeders and bird seed which holds them up.

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

I’d say they moved to a better feeding area. I know where I hunt there are still a ton of deer. But they have a good field to go to. I have noticed their patterns change alot, mainly there scedules. I know they are getting into peoples feeders and bird seed which holds them up.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Ive talked to a couple of guys over the years that think from past experience the bucks learn to stay away from the areas that have been hunted. We think that the bigger bucks lay on weedy fence lines and in small areas where most guys don’t go after the main season but thier not far from watching the doe’s. Ive driven along gravel roads and with my binocs seen older bucks bedded down on weeded fence lines late in the season and after its been cold for awhile. They still want to breed and they have to eat so thier going to be around those areas where theres food and doe’s. It makes sense that the older smarter bucks have learned to stay away from the major hunting areas. When hunting in the past for rabbits and quail ive kicked up some nicer bucks from areas that might not be more than a couple of acres with a creek nearby. Im going to scout the weeded fence lines and small growth areas with a few trees around and concentrate most of my hunting there, i’ve got a good idea thier not going to be bedded down right in the middle of the timber where the majority of the hunters have been the last month. That one small pine tree with limbs to the ground or a small thicket can hold a real nice buck. When i go late season im going to try this out and see if thier there and if it works.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Ive talked to a couple of guys over the years that think from past experience the bucks learn to stay away from the areas that have been hunted. We think that the bigger bucks lay on weedy fence lines and in small areas where most guys don’t go after the main season but thier not far from watching the doe’s. Ive driven along gravel roads and with my binocs seen older bucks bedded down on weeded fence lines late in the season and after its been cold for awhile. They still want to breed and they have to eat so thier going to be around those areas where theres food and doe’s. It makes sense that the older smarter bucks have learned to stay away from the major hunting areas. When hunting in the past for rabbits and quail ive kicked up some nicer bucks from areas that might not be more than a couple of acres with a creek nearby. Im going to scout the weeded fence lines and small growth areas with a few trees around and concentrate most of my hunting there, i’ve got a good idea thier not going to be bedded down right in the middle of the timber where the majority of the hunters have been the last month. That one small pine tree with limbs to the ground or a small thicket can hold a real nice buck. When i go late season im going to try this out and see if thier there and if it works.

LazyEyez
    Arcadia, WI

Some good advice from all. And I agree with everything. Seeing as how we do not know the terrain your hunting it is difficult to answer exactly.

Swamp, Steep Hills, Rolling Hills, food, etc all play an important part once the brunt of winter sets in. Once it freezes and gets cold the majority of deer will steer clear of swamps as the travel is difficult, the same could be said of steep ridge lines. Rolling hills on the other hand with nice saddle’s that have some mature oaks offer a great food source during the day. Late afternoon scratching will take place on food plots but you generally will not see the big boys during lighted hours. If you looking to fill a tag with a eater stick to the food source in the afternoon, but if your looking to bag the big boy you will need to move into the woods to the cut the distance down between food and daylight hours.

If stalking is in the game (with a gun) fencelines with cover are a great asset. Play the wind and you may be surprised what may happen to show itself. Many a buck in late season Pheasant Hunting have startled me on fence rows.

Good luck !

LazyEyez
    Arcadia, WI

Some good advice from all. And I agree with everything. Seeing as how we do not know the terrain your hunting it is difficult to answer exactly.

Swamp, Steep Hills, Rolling Hills, food, etc all play an important part once the brunt of winter sets in. Once it freezes and gets cold the majority of deer will steer clear of swamps as the travel is difficult, the same could be said of steep ridge lines. Rolling hills on the other hand with nice saddle’s that have some mature oaks offer a great food source during the day. Late afternoon scratching will take place on food plots but you generally will not see the big boys during lighted hours. If you looking to fill a tag with a eater stick to the food source in the afternoon, but if your looking to bag the big boy you will need to move into the woods to the cut the distance down between food and daylight hours.

If stalking is in the game (with a gun) fencelines with cover are a great asset. Play the wind and you may be surprised what may happen to show itself. Many a buck in late season Pheasant Hunting have startled me on fence rows.

Good luck !

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Thanks all. The area I am hunting is on the Minn side of the St Croix by Prescott. Steep ridges there and not much movement since the snow.

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Thanks all. The area I am hunting is on the Minn side of the St Croix by Prescott. Steep ridges there and not much movement since the snow.

barebackjack
    New Prague, MN.

I went out yesterday for the first time in a while, tracks all indicated overnight movement and not much of it, seems to me these deer have moved to different ground. I am going to try a different area hopefully this afternoon.

barebackjack
    New Prague, MN.

I went out yesterday for the first time in a while, tracks all indicated overnight movement and not much of it, seems to me these deer have moved to different ground. I am going to try a different area hopefully this afternoon.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.