Deer Rifle??

• Keith
    NE Iowa

Alvinmack is right on about the weatherby’s….although most won’t notice their inadequacies in the accuracy dept. unless your a bench shooter.

Keith
    NE Iowa

Alvinmack is right on about the weatherby’s….although most won’t notice their inadequacies in the accuracy dept. unless your a bench shooter.

scottsteil
    Central MN

I am leaning towards a Remington Model 700, the 7mm BDL SS DM. I will put the rest of the money in a good scope then. Based on what you guys have said this gun should do the job. Any thoughts on this choice?

scottsteil
    Central MN

I am leaning towards a Remington Model 700, the 7mm BDL SS DM. I will put the rest of the money in a good scope then. Based on what you guys have said this gun should do the job. Any thoughts on this choice?

jldii

From what these guys have said, it sounds like a good choice.

One question if you guys don’t mind me asking, nobody has mentioned the Winchester model 70. Are they not that good of a rifle anymore?

jldii

From what these guys have said, it sounds like a good choice.

One question if you guys don’t mind me asking, nobody has mentioned the Winchester model 70. Are they not that good of a rifle anymore?

jldii

Thanks for the reply. I was getting worried because I’m giving serious thought about getting a Model 70 Super Shadow 7mm WSM.

Another question if you don’t mind. It used to be a big thing to get your rifle “bedded”. Is that still the case, or is that old school now with the free floating barrel systems?

jldii

Thanks for the reply. I was getting worried because I’m giving serious thought about getting a Model 70 Super Shadow 7mm WSM.

Another question if you don’t mind. It used to be a big thing to get your rifle “bedded”. Is that still the case, or is that old school now with the free floating barrel systems?

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Scott,

As you know, hunting in SD can be intersting. When I hear guys talking about long shots over here, they are talking anything past 125 yards. In SD, it’s not unusual to shoot 300 yards. Any gun you choose to work in SD will most likely be fine for MN hunting, especially since you aren’t looking for a gun to double as a varmint rifle.

Positives about the 7MM – get shells in any gas station in SD. Plenty of knock down power for both deer and elk. Large range of bullets to choose from.

Negatives – WSM may be tougher to find shells for?? 7mm is a little bigger than I like to shoot at deer(completely a personal preference, not a popular one at that.) I prefer to shoot a 22.250 or 25.06 at deer, but these guns will not work for elk hunting obviously, or nothern woods deer hunting. Why I bring this up, deer in SD have a tendency to be moving hard at times even after wounded and the smaller calibers cut down the need for leading an animal considerably. Again, this is strictly personal opinion.

I think you picked one of the best all around rifles, it’s a close second to the old 30.06.

As for optics, I think two alternatives to look at besides leupold are Burris and Swift. They are both great glass for the money. If you plan to shoot a lot, stay with the best, but if your like most hunters I don’t think the Vari X III line is cost effective. Good luck, have fun shopping!!!!!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Scott,

As you know, hunting in SD can be intersting. When I hear guys talking about long shots over here, they are talking anything past 125 yards. In SD, it’s not unusual to shoot 300 yards. Any gun you choose to work in SD will most likely be fine for MN hunting, especially since you aren’t looking for a gun to double as a varmint rifle.

Positives about the 7MM – get shells in any gas station in SD. Plenty of knock down power for both deer and elk. Large range of bullets to choose from.

Negatives – WSM may be tougher to find shells for?? 7mm is a little bigger than I like to shoot at deer(completely a personal preference, not a popular one at that.) I prefer to shoot a 22.250 or 25.06 at deer, but these guns will not work for elk hunting obviously, or nothern woods deer hunting. Why I bring this up, deer in SD have a tendency to be moving hard at times even after wounded and the smaller calibers cut down the need for leading an animal considerably. Again, this is strictly personal opinion.

I think you picked one of the best all around rifles, it’s a close second to the old 30.06.

As for optics, I think two alternatives to look at besides leupold are Burris and Swift. They are both great glass for the money. If you plan to shoot a lot, stay with the best, but if your like most hunters I don’t think the Vari X III line is cost effective. Good luck, have fun shopping!!!!!

sunnyd
    Central Minnesota

Scott:

You picked a good one there. I actually went through the same process last year trying to find a great “all-purpose” rifle. I ended up getting the Browning Stainless Stalker 7MM with BOSS paired up with a Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10 scope that delivers all the optics of Kahles or Swarovski at about 1/2 the price. (Total package price was about $1400) I do like the looks of the Remington.

The only reason I went with the Browning is the location of the safety on the weapon, the Browning was much like the old M77 Ruger with the safety located directly on the tang behind the bolt rather than along side the bolt. I guess I am getting a little picky, but I own 2 M77 Rugers (.270 & .243), making my decision to go with Browning an easy one.

Good luck in your search. If you are settled on Nikon, Great! If scope is still an open item make sure to look at the offerrings of producers like Zeiss and Weaver. The Weaver Grand Slam in 3-10x50mm is a beauty.

Take care and hope your Christmas was a good one with your family.

SUNNYD

BTW… I hunt deer in NW Minnesota with lots of open country, both deer that I harvested this year were shots of more than 300 yards, bullet choice is very important if long shooting is on your agenda BTSP’s are the flatest shooting bullet that I found for my 7MM. 150 or 165 grain you can’t go wrong. In comparison there is as much as a 10 inch difference at 400 yards between some of your bullet selections.

sunnyd
    Central Minnesota

Scott:

You picked a good one there. I actually went through the same process last year trying to find a great “all-purpose” rifle. I ended up getting the Browning Stainless Stalker 7MM with BOSS paired up with a Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10 scope that delivers all the optics of Kahles or Swarovski at about 1/2 the price. (Total package price was about $1400) I do like the looks of the Remington.

The only reason I went with the Browning is the location of the safety on the weapon, the Browning was much like the old M77 Ruger with the safety located directly on the tang behind the bolt rather than along side the bolt. I guess I am getting a little picky, but I own 2 M77 Rugers (.270 & .243), making my decision to go with Browning an easy one.

Good luck in your search. If you are settled on Nikon, Great! If scope is still an open item make sure to look at the offerrings of producers like Zeiss and Weaver. The Weaver Grand Slam in 3-10x50mm is a beauty.

Take care and hope your Christmas was a good one with your family.

SUNNYD

BTW… I hunt deer in NW Minnesota with lots of open country, both deer that I harvested this year were shots of more than 300 yards, bullet choice is very important if long shooting is on your agenda BTSP’s are the flatest shooting bullet that I found for my 7MM. 150 or 165 grain you can’t go wrong. In comparison there is as much as a 10 inch difference at 400 yards between some of your bullet selections.

LazyEyez
    Arcadia, WI

Check out the balastics on the 300 Browning Mini Mag (WSM). Its the flatest tracjectile up to 300 yards. My typical hunting is in thick cover (similiar to yours) in which 100 yards is about max and I use 180 Grain Bullet (Elk). The gun was dang pin point accurate out of the box. You can’t beat the Nikon for the money. Gun and Nikon: $1100+Tax.

LazyEyez
    Arcadia, WI

Check out the balastics on the 300 Browning Mini Mag (WSM). Its the flatest tracjectile up to 300 yards. My typical hunting is in thick cover (similiar to yours) in which 100 yards is about max and I use 180 Grain Bullet (Elk). The gun was dang pin point accurate out of the box. You can’t beat the Nikon for the money. Gun and Nikon: $1100+Tax.

whitetails4ever
    Rochester, MN

I took a Browning A-Bolt in a 300 WSM out to Montana this year and was extremely impressed with the way it shot. I also seen a lot of A-bolts out there while hunting. I’m not a big gun hunter either and don’t spend a lot of time punching paper with them but the gun was very accurate at the range. Like others on here have stated spend your money on the optics, not the gun. $.02

whitetails4ever
    Rochester, MN

I took a Browning A-Bolt in a 300 WSM out to Montana this year and was extremely impressed with the way it shot. I also seen a lot of A-bolts out there while hunting. I’m not a big gun hunter either and don’t spend a lot of time punching paper with them but the gun was very accurate at the range. Like others on here have stated spend your money on the optics, not the gun. $.02

jakey 202
    Sheldon, Wisconsin

What is the cost on a gun like that????

jakey 202
    Sheldon, Wisconsin

What is the cost on a gun like that????

whitetails4ever
    Rochester, MN

The guy I borrowed the A-bolt from said he had around $1200 into it. It was a synthetic stock and stainless barrel with I think a 3-12×50 leupold scope, I know it was 3-12 but not sure if it was 40mm or 50mm. Like I said, I’m not much of a gun hunter, more of a stick and string guy. I have video footage and I’m living proof that you ALWAYS need to shoot your gun not just before the season but after you travel with it too. Didn’t shoot this gun after making a trip out to Montana and it may have costed me a muley of a lifetime. The muley I ended up getting, I put 3 holes in him in an area about the size of a fist, only problem was it was right in front of the hind quarter. I was hitting over a foot left, last shot I aimed out by his head and destroyed both front shoulders. Lesson learned, I’m an idiot. The muley I missed will haunt my dreams forever!!!

whitetails4ever
    Rochester, MN

The guy I borrowed the A-bolt from said he had around $1200 into it. It was a synthetic stock and stainless barrel with I think a 3-12×50 leupold scope, I know it was 3-12 but not sure if it was 40mm or 50mm. Like I said, I’m not much of a gun hunter, more of a stick and string guy. I have video footage and I’m living proof that you ALWAYS need to shoot your gun not just before the season but after you travel with it too. Didn’t shoot this gun after making a trip out to Montana and it may have costed me a muley of a lifetime. The muley I ended up getting, I put 3 holes in him in an area about the size of a fist, only problem was it was right in front of the hind quarter. I was hitting over a foot left, last shot I aimed out by his head and destroyed both front shoulders. Lesson learned, I’m an idiot. The muley I missed will haunt my dreams forever!!!

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

For that kind of money, I would look for a Weatherby Mark V with a Leopold Vari-X III scope.

As for calibers, everyone will have their own opinion. If you are going to use it primarily for deer, with maybe some elk thrown in later, but mostly deer, I would get a 270 or 7mm WSM. I just don’t think you need a 30 cal hole for deer, and the 270 or 7mm will give you less kick and a flatter trajectory, and the deer won’t know the difference. Both may not be “ideal” elk cartridges, but IMO are better deer guns, which it sounds like you will be hunting most.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

For that kind of money, I would look for a Weatherby Mark V with a Leopold Vari-X III scope.

As for calibers, everyone will have their own opinion. If you are going to use it primarily for deer, with maybe some elk thrown in later, but mostly deer, I would get a 270 or 7mm WSM. I just don’t think you need a 30 cal hole for deer, and the 270 or 7mm will give you less kick and a flatter trajectory, and the deer won’t know the difference. Both may not be “ideal” elk cartridges, but IMO are better deer guns, which it sounds like you will be hunting most.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I’m far from an expert on rifles, but I did some research a few years ago and like anyhting else from boats to motors to fishing rods. Everyone has their own personal preference.

I ended up choosing a 7mm Magnum, cause my wants were similar to yours. I wanted an all purpose gun. I liked flat shooting of this gun compared to the 30-.06. As for some of my hunting plans were for out West in the Dakotas and Montana for Deer, Elk and Bear.

I chose Winchesters Featherweight Model 70 in the 7mm Magnum with a 26″ barrel. Not a great brush hogging gun, but I rarely do that . This gun did have some kick but since I installed Sims Limsaver Recoil Pad this gun is money. This gun is quoted as being the Gun of the Century. I have this thing sighted in dead on @ 200 yards and for whitetail I use a 150 grain bullet. This will be about 1.25″ high @ 100 and drops about 6.5″ @ 300. I also agree with a previous post. You need to put at least a decent scope on your rifle ($250 Plus). I have a Burris Scope with the Ballistic Reticle to aid in long range shooting. Leopould calls it the B&C Reticle. Now if I could put down that dam bow.

Just my 2 cents.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I’m far from an expert on rifles, but I did some research a few years ago and like anyhting else from boats to motors to fishing rods. Everyone has their own personal preference.

I ended up choosing a 7mm Magnum, cause my wants were similar to yours. I wanted an all purpose gun. I liked flat shooting of this gun compared to the 30-.06. As for some of my hunting plans were for out West in the Dakotas and Montana for Deer, Elk and Bear.

I chose Winchesters Featherweight Model 70 in the 7mm Magnum with a 26″ barrel. Not a great brush hogging gun, but I rarely do that . This gun did have some kick but since I installed Sims Limsaver Recoil Pad this gun is money. This gun is quoted as being the Gun of the Century. I have this thing sighted in dead on @ 200 yards and for whitetail I use a 150 grain bullet. This will be about 1.25″ high @ 100 and drops about 6.5″ @ 300. I also agree with a previous post. You need to put at least a decent scope on your rifle ($250 Plus). I have a Burris Scope with the Ballistic Reticle to aid in long range shooting. Leopould calls it the B&C Reticle. Now if I could put down that dam bow.

Just my 2 cents.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

So Scott what rifle did you end up getting?

Viewing 26 posts - 31 through 56 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.