Deer Treats

• FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Last week was MEAT WEEK at my house.
    Had 154 LBS combined Venison/Pork (Ground weight) to turn into Brats and Wieners.
    I had never attempted Wieners before and it worked out great.

I joined a new hunting party last fall for opening shotgun weekend. The landowner requested that i help out one day this coming year, so a week ago i filled that request and helped him plant food plots etc. Found some Morels and caught some trout. Had a big walleye fry at the end of the day to boot.

I’ve shared my homemade brats with him and his family before and he asked if I’d make him some. I said yes before i found out how much meat he had. doah Well, he had 77 LBS of venison trim and i had 26 LBS myself so it turned into quite the job.

My grinder is undersized for such a batch (1/2 HP), so I’ll be getting a new one of those soon. I plan on Tim the Tool Man Upsizing, maybe a 1-1/2 or 2 HP.

My mixer broke on the first batch, so i was forced hand mixed 175 LBS of sausage. chased WOW that sucked! I vow to never hand mix meat again…Even though i had vowed that two years ago and bought a nice 44 LB mixer. You don’t have many choices when you’ve got 150+ LBS of meat ground and ready to be mixed…except to MIX IT!

I dismantled the mixer yesterday and have engineered a fix that should make it bulletproof. Just need to bring to a fabricator. Was a really dumb design and a clear failure point. Oh well, what don’t kill ya makes you stronger!

This years batch:
    PSC Seasoning Hot Dogs
    Waltons Chili Dogs
    Waltons Franks and Bologna Hot Dogs
    Waltons Blue Ribbon Bratwurst, I call these “Garden Brats” I add fresh diced Green & Red Peppers, and Onion to. This was landowners favorite and his main request. I personally don’t desire the Blue Ribbon.
    Waltons Cheeseburger Cheddarwurst Brats

Everything got 13% HT cheese, which was a mixture of Mozz, Ched, and Pep
    Everything had some bacon grease added.
    Most everything had some Black Pepper and Cayenne pepper added for additional Heat and…Well i love black pepper.
    I also used a binder which I’ve never done before, rice flour at 3%.

All fresh sausage. I don’t smoke anything.

I borrowed a custom made 22 LB stuffer from a co-worker. It is a simple piston design powered by compressed air. That worked very well. Was great having two hands available to fill casings. I only have a 5 LB stuffer. I’ll be looking to upgrade to the 25-30 LB range this year.

I have always used Natural Hog casings and made brats. Never used Sheep before, well, i tried it once but they weren’t rinsed so it was a disaster cleaning them and i walked away before stuffing any. Waltons casings on a tube worked very well. I also tried a mix of Collagen and Natural casings just to see what collagen is like.

Played around with the grind a little on some of the wiener batches. I’m not one for emulsified meat, so mine is no where near emulsified, but i did do various grinds to experiment.

Previously my biggest batch in a weekend was 150 LBS (Last year) and this year was even bigger yet. Although i don’t have the right equipment to make this an easy task, it is always rewarding when complete.

~175 vacuum sealed packages to complete the weekend.

I am confident they’ll be great tasting (I’ve tried PSC before, and the only other new seasonings were Walton’s Franks and Chili dogs), though after a weekend of MEAT I’m simply NOT hungry for any of them, and probably won’t be for a week or three. Tonight will be a Steak!

Few photos of the product.

Attachments:
    1. 20210502_130638-scaled.jpg

2. 20210501_205744-scaled.jpg

3. 20210501_154740-scaled.jpg

bigpike

And here I thought it was going to be a picture of deer.

My 87 year old mother calls any deer sighting a deer treat!

Nice looking meat!!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Well done, sounds like a helluva task!

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

They’re GREAT!

Attachments:
    1. 20210507_195908-scaled.jpg

2. 20210507_195853-scaled.jpg

3. 20210507_195830-scaled.jpg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Holy Hanna FBRM, 154 lbs! shock Nice job, those look terrific. waytogo

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Thanks.
    I was really surprised that i did not notice a difference between the “Fresh Collagen” casings and the Hog or Sheep when tasting everything side by side.

Fresh collagen are thinner than Smoked Collagen (Used for smoking).

I don’t use cure, but the PSC Seasoning dogs came with cure in the packet, so it couldn’t be avoided. The cure kept the color, and that is really appealing IMO. No negative with taste. So i’ll be using cure here forth, and likely fresh collagen casings.

Trevor was very happy to get his meats saturday. Happy enough i left his place with a fat check, a 3/4hp grinder he was no longer using, and a bag of morels. )

Now, i’ve got bow access for this year to boot.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.