Deer stand camo

• Reef W

The picture attached is the deer stand on my property. The coverings on sides are rugs and canvas tarps that are rotting apart if you touch them and won’t stay attached past this season probably.

I don’t know anything about deer hunting and thought white/grey was an odd choice that stands out a lot. Someone told me that’s a good color though for some reason so I’m here for opinions.

If I’m going to fix this up what should I use to camouflage it?

Attachments:
    1. 20210321_102415-scaled.jpg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

What are you planning to use it for Reef? Firearms or archery hunting or muzzle loader? All three?

Deer cannot see color, I’m sure you know that. Probably doesn’t matter what color the tarp or sides are. Gray or camo will work fine.

I’d be way more worried about the integrity and safety of it based on the photo.

TH

I’ve shot the most deer out of a red one. I had leftover steel from a pole shed build.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Deer cannot see color, I’m sure you know that.

That’s actually a myth. Deer can see color, most science indicates they perceive color differently than we do, but they certainly see color.

IMO deer now know to look in stands. It’s more important to hide the hunter than the stand. The deer will know the stand is there no matter what.

abster71
    crawford county WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>
    Deer cannot see color, I’m sure you know that.

That’s actually a myth. Deer can see color, most science indicates they perceive color differently than we do, but they certainly see color.

IMO deer now know to look in stands. It’s more important to hide the hunter than the stand. The deer will know the stand is there no matter what.

Agree totally no camo can hide an enclosed blind it’s all about them getting used to it and feeling that its part of there home now

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

100% accurate!

Mature deer have incredible memory for shape / shading differences. They can pick out very subtle differences to know something has changed. Regardless of what you use to sheath that stand, deer will become accustomed to whatever it is. Key is when your up there, don’t move or change anything. Blend into the stand.

I have a fancy stand built in the center of my field. Vinyl sided, white trim….and so on. Deer know it’s there but within weeks of building it, deer walked within feet of it. However, 200 yrds away deer can look and see I opened the curtains or I’m moving around when I’m back lit

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I may not have been fully clear on my previous post on this, my apologies.

They can see short wavelength colors and shades of gray but they cannot see the full color spectrum. Obviously they can’t see blaze orange either.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I wouldn’t worry about color or camo, but something hard sided, or thick enough to keep the wind off of you is huge. A distant second most important after structural integrity… waytogo

Reef W

Well good to know! White make it easy to find at least lol

It seems pretty solid besides one of the roof beams came loose. I only went up for a bit though because it was full of giant dock spiders when it’s warm out. The surrounding area needs a good trimming also but I won’t do anything until after this season.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Personally I would replace those ugly tarps with pine boughs. But that’s just personal preference. I love natural looking stands.

Brad Dimond

Personally I would replace those ugly tarps with pine boughs. But that’s just personal preference. I love natural looking stands.

Plus pine boughs smell great. Tarps, carpet, etc., get musty after a short time.

robby
    Quad Cities

Same with fish and most other game. I agree.

Tim Conroy Jr.

While I might accept deer don’t see black and white, there’s no way that they see any real range of color. On more than one occasion I’ve been 10-20 yards sitting against a tree, head to toe in blaze orange, and the deer did not see me. I’m talking full orange hat, orange jacket, orange bibs, only my boots were black. Even my backpack is red.

As far as I’m concerned, deer are only one step above blind. They can see movement, and that’s about it. They see the world with their noses, and what an amazing ability of smell they have.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.