"Deeper" castable sonar – Opinions?

• Bob P
    Shoreview MN

I shore fish and recently saw on youtube these castable sonars by Deeper. Has anyone used them? Are they any good? I’ve never used electronics. One of my fears about using one is that I cast it out and it snaps the line or gets off in some other way, leaving me helplessly looking at a $200 electronic ball floating away.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’ve always been intrigued by them. Seems like a great tool to probe depth from shore or anchored position. I have no more experience with them than you. Good luck. I’m sure someone will chime in with info.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Bring 2 rods. One rigged with heavy braid attached to the Deeper and one for fishing. Once you find the depth you want reel the deeper in and start fishing.

Bob P
    Shoreview MN

Bring 2 rods. One rigged with heavy braid attached to the Deeper and one for fishing. Once you find the depth you want reel the deeper in and start fishing.

I would definitely have a separate rod for it with heavy braid. I usually bring 2 rods for fishing, so now it would be three.

My wife suggested tying it to 2 rods at the same time. smile

LabDaddy1

As said above, if it were me I’d have a dedicated rod just for it with heavy(65-80#) braid and maybe even a heavy leader in case a big toothy critter decided to have a go at it….

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I used it once, borrowed from a co-worker some many years ago when this was new.
    Fished a small river, zumbro, thought it was neat i could toss it behind the boat and into some areas i wouldn’t boat into. But with SI in the boat, it isn’t really necessary, for me.

Certainly has its place, from a dock, or whatever.
    It works.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

If you’re doing a lot of shore fishing it can be pretty valuable. I used to do a lot before I bought my boat right when these came out, and it definitely helps to know depths and a little structure info. I never really trusted it to show fish but it did show marks for what it’s worth.

I’d bet you could find a few lightly used on ebay for considerable less that $200

Bob P
    Shoreview MN

If you’re doing a lot of shore fishing it can be pretty valuable. I used to do a lot before I bought my boat right when these came out, and it definitely helps to know depths and a little structure info. I never really trusted it to show fish but it did show marks for what it’s worth.

Thanks. I assume that the models have improved over the years. It probably will be worth it for me to get one.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.