Deep Cycle Battery Installation

• Dan Baker

So I think I already know the answer to this question, but I still need to ask. I am looking to move my trolling motor battery to a new location in the boat, specifically into the ski locker in the bottom of the floor. The problem is with clearance when the hatch is closed. Is it OK to install a battery on its side, or does it need to be vertical? If I could lay it down, I’d be golden.
    Thanks,
    Dan

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

I assume you must be taking about sealed batteries or the answer would have been obvious. I was told you should never lay a seal battery on its side. How tall is the area of your ski locker?

Dan Baker

Yes, it is a sealed deep cycle marine battery.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I’m not an expert so research this some more but my HDS Ice pack actually has the battery installed on its side. It’s an AGM battery. Because of this design, I’m going to answer with YES, you can install a battery on it’s side…pending the make of the battery.

Dan Baker

Cool, thanks for the info. I’m not sure if mine is an AGM or a lead battery. I will have to take a closer look when I pull it out of storage. My boat is a Bayliner, so I have been fighting its design to make it work as a fishing boat for awhile. The battery will sit vertically in the ski locker, But I need to add some supports so it stays secure while underway. If I put it in a battery box the lid wouldn’t close. Stupid ski boats. bawling

munchy
    NULL

AGM batteries like Optimas are sealed and can be mounted on their side. Just be sure there is no way to short them out.

TMF89

Easy way to tell is does it allow you to check/add distilled water? If so, then it’s SLA (Sealed Lead Acid), and NOT okay for side/wonky mounting. If it’s an AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat), then it is. There’s still a difference between a “Sealed” Lead Acid Battery, and an AGM battery, which is truly sealed shut. Another easy way to figure it out is by how much you spent on it, the AGM batteries are all pretty spendy!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.