Deck sealing

• John Timm

Going to be sealing my deck. What is a good clear deck sealer? I purchased some Thompson brand from Menards and now have heard that it’s not a good product!? Anyone have good luck with a certain sealer?

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

I’ve had great luck with Behr from Home Depot. Any stain is only as good as your prep work so don’t get in a hurry. Consumers Reports rates Thompson’s as as “unacceptable”.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Probably not what you want to hear, but clear or light color deck stains just do not last very long. Especially on horizontal surfaces.

For longevity I’d use a solid color.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Good deck sealer in MN is an oxymoron.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I used an oil based stain as that will soak in, have used acrylic based in the past and it would peel over time. Both were Behr from Home Depot. Happy with the oil base, not happy with the acrylic

Coletrain27

Seems like everything I’ve ever tried only last a couple years on my deck. On the walking surface and steps anyway

BDR

Alot depends on condition and what is on the deck now. If bare wood oil penetrating preservative is what I go to. Sikkens (ppg) is very good. I am a paint contractor and there is no magic product except every 2 year maintenance.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

In all my years in construction we have only had good success with a limited few products. Clear – is not one of them. For exterior surfaces non deck or treated lumber, exterior poly Zahr products have been good. Still no magic there and expect to sand/redcoat in 5ish years.

For log and t&g exteriors, sikkens and walkways, docks, and decks we have been using Sherwin Williams Deckscapes with great results

Attachments:
    1. 62D8A116-5DA5-40BB-BF03-10F1254E771F.jpeg

John Timm

The deck is in good condition, built it close to 8 years ago. Cleaned it good yesterday, but now it’s covered in snow! So I should probably return the Thompson water seal and get something else?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Seems like this topic comes up every spring. Surface prep and adequate application conditions along with the proper drying time seems to be just as important as the product you select. I’m with bigstorm, an oil based stain is more durable.

One thing I would recommend, do NOT use a shovel in the winter that has a metal edge on your deck. I did that for a couple years and learned the metal edge was basically scraping the stain right off. Use a plastic edge shovel to remove the snow instead.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Carpet works, beyond that you are signing up for regular work jester

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Staining/sealing a deck is an every-other year occurrence if it is frequently used or has any sun exposure. I hate the look of chipped, peeling, or faded stain – so it gets redone often. The more expensive the product, the more money wasted when I am still redoing it 2 years later. With that said, oil based stains definitely have worked best for me.

We are throwing around the idea of building on the family land down the road, and without a doubt the composite decking will be required.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

the composite, or maintenance free decking is the route we took when we redid the siding, windows and deck some years back. best thing we did. every so often some simple green and the pressure washer and good!!!!!!!!!!!

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

Leave it untreated and save the butt ache

wormdunker

Shameless plug but if you are looking to have a deck, dock, fence, porch stained look up my boys and his friends business on Facebook – Stainer Boys. They both play College hockey, they stain all summer to pay for school.

This will be their 3rd summer. They do great work as evidenced by their photos on their page. They are located in the NE metro.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

I put Behr solid over old Behr with just
    light pressure washing 2 yrs ago and it’s been great. You need to get the old loose stain off but be very careful with the pressure washer.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Do your self a favor and don’t seal it. We just re did our decking all composite. Very glad I’m done dealing with wood.
    Before that I would leave it all natural. Otherwise you open up a can of never ending worms

stevenoak

Without much publicity. About 10 years ago. The additive that protected from UV light, the death of any finish. Was outlawed state by state. I could still buy the old stuff in Iowa. But not across the state line. Don’t imagine its available in the US now. Add to that the hybrid cedar they sell now lasts about a third the time as old growth wood. My cedar deck had a rotten 5/4 board in less than 10 years. Even being professionally treated every 2 years. I hate vinyl siding and plastic deck boards. Only thing I hate more . Is trying to keep paint and stain on wood.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.