December Ice Conditions

• leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Just checking on the ice. Heard that a wheeler went through on Oscar and maybe one went in on Geneva ?
    Thanks

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Yes the things you heard are true but in both instances people drove without checking their path. It’s easy to do and I don’t fault the parties involved too much. The main sheet of ice on most medium lakes is around 10″. The wind and water fowl do keep certain areas open longer though so you can’t just assume it’s safe to drive everywhere!

I always walk my route first checking the ice as I go. Then after getting a good feel for the lake and the path I have checked I have no problem pulling a big house with a wheeler on 10″ of ice. I just think people see others driving out with ATV’s and big houses and think they can just go. That mindset is never a safe one.

So to answer your question we have a LOT of very good ice in Alexandria and there are already vehicles on a few lakes. Check the ice the entire way before you drive any type of vehicle or follow others and all should be good!

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Thanks Joe. Nope I’m not faulting anyone just checking. I think I heard one of the guys was plowing for a skating rink and went through with a side by side. Heard they both got wet and out so that’s good. With the cold weather coming things should only improve. How’s the snow on the lakes?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.