Running better now?

• Dave Lozier
    Amherst, WI

I’ve installed New Relic to try and narrow down some of the issues we’re having. At this point the PHP agent appears to be working without issue. (was a manual install since openlitespeed isn’t supported “out of the box”)

Once I know what code is causing the database pile-ups I’ll try to work around it.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Thanks, Dave! bow

-J.

Dave Lozier
    Amherst, WI

I just truncated the buddypress activity database tables. There was about 800,000 rows in there. New Relic showed it was dragging us down.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot-2024-01-05-192653.png

MX1825

Yea that’s what I thought. whistling doah

Thanks Dave keep at it. We need it.

Dave Lozier
    Amherst, WI

Me too! D

The clearing out of those tables caused some issues. Groups no longer have any activity postings. I also noticed there are errors with group forums but staging has the same issue so not related to the activity tables.

Another minor issue is the members page only shows users in alphabetical order. The other sorting options rely on the activity data.

I made a database backup before clearing out the activity tables. I’ll work on restoring the group data tomorrow.

I’m also considering clearing out all of the notifications for everyone. There’s about 400,000 rows in that table.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I would agree Dave. We don’t need the notifications. Thank you for working on this for us!!! The vast majority really appreciate it even if they don’t comment (appropriately)!

dbright
    Cambridge

Looks good to me so far. It has been months without having to reopen multiple times to get the page to load.

Dave Lozier
    Amherst, WI

I’m afraid there’s still more bumps in the road. I’m going over the database queries that I think I can adjust without breaking anything. I may try switching themes this weekend too, provided I can make the new one match the look/feel of the old one. (as close as possible)

The current theme is ancient in internet time. lol

Ben K.

You’re a good man, Dave. I really appreciate your time and energy spent on the site.

Dave Lozier
    Amherst, WI

I’m working on replacing how the “today’s topics” are tracked. Currently this data is compiled from an ugly query that will never be fast. If it wasn’t for the caching of this query I think we’d have more issues than we currently have.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Thanks Dave! wave toast

Attachments:
    1. 8bgc53.gif

nord

Thanks so much, Dave. I wish I had your talent.

Dave Lozier
    Amherst, WI

Thanks, everyone. )

I know how maddening a slow site can be. I’ll probably be making things worse at times today while I work on the code. Please hang on for the ride. lol

CaptainMusky

Dave doing the Lord’s work! In my limited time thus far this morning it is lightning fast. Thank you sir!

Bassn Dan

Thanks Dave! The site seems much faster today.

Not sure how the search function operates on the site, but that can be a HUGE resource hog on databases – maybe eliminate that and encourage people to use Google, etc. to search the site.

Dave Lozier
    Amherst, WI

We’re already short-circuiting the native wordpress search and sending queries to google when the search box is used.

Right now the slow queries I am seeing are related simply getting topics ordered by recent activity. bbPress is doing this by joining the posts table with the posts meta table and sorting on a meta key/value. Other forum software would typically store the recent activity timestamp with the topic so that no table join is needed.

Dave Lozier
    Amherst, WI

I’ve made the ACID compliance of the database more laxed to help speed up new post inserts. I’m not sure how much help this is though. The trade off is if things crash we could lose up to 60 seconds of data.

Changing to a new theme will take more than a weekend. I forget just how much custom code is in the current one.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Thank you Mr.Lozier.

thalweg87
    Eastern Iowa

So far, so much better!! Thank you.

Dave Lozier
    Amherst, WI

I’ve replaced the “Today’s Topics” widget with “Active Topics”. The data is pulled from a dedicated database table that is updated when new topics or replies are made. This eliminates one of most impactful database queries I have seen in New Relic.

More to come. )

isu22andy

Much improved ! Good work !

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Thanks Dave

Dave Lozier
    Amherst, WI

I haven’t gotten any notifications about the site timing out this weekend. I think the changes are helping. Adding a new topic or reply seems to go quicker too.

We’ll see how Monday goes. Hopefully better than the recent ones. )

Sharon
    SE Metro

You’re a good man, Dave. I really appreciate your time and energy spent on the site.

X2!! Thanks for all your hard work, Dave!!

bullcans
    Northfield MN

I didn’t have any complaints in the first place since the site is free and the ones who work on fixing it probably are doing voluntary work.

However, it is definitely working better.

Thank you

mojo

Seems better than I’ve experienced in quite some time. Almost makes me want to quote somebody and post a link at the same time devil

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.