dead stick comparison

• beardly
    Hastings, Mn

Has anyone owned the tucr dead stick and jt snare rods? Are they similar in performance? Any major performance difference?

I want to leave it in a rod holder with no bobber and have the fish pin itself. The jt snare rods have videos showing this specifically happening but haven’t seen it with the tucr. I’m hoping the tucr rod performs the same way.

jgross
    Northeast SD

They are both nice, I would recommend the TUCR just because its more durable, the JT rod is very fragile and it only comes in one length 36″ so you have to have a rod case that will accommodate it (it will not last in a soft case), also if you use it in a portable its to long, vs order/buy whatever length TUCR you want.

Christian Slick

JT no doubt if you want them to pin themselves. Never heard that durability issue and I know MANY people with them. Could be true could be false I guess just never heard it myself. Also 36” isn’t absurdly long with a deadstick rod that’s sitting in a holder anyway. If you went the TUCR route I’d still say go 34-36 anyway.

Dan Baker

I don’t have any experience with the JT Snare so I can’t speak to that. But I will say that the Deadstick is not designed to hook the fish for you. I suppose if you let the fish eat long enough and then swim away it might hook itself. The Deadstick excels at showing that a fish is bitting before the fish knows that you can see it. You then grab the rod and set the hook. If you pair it with the Okumar Bait Feeder you really have a deadly combo. If you watch the linked video, you can see the Deadstick in action with the IDO crew. This is exactly how I prefer to use my Deadstick

Dan

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The jt snare rod is a awesome rod. And 36 if a great length. I also use a thorne bros 32 inch walleye dead stick.

I use both 32 and 36 inside my portable. I haven’t used the tucr but I’m betting it’s a nice rod.

PmB

Jt snare works perfectly. I’m not gentle w my fishing gear and haven’t broken any jt snares or tucr

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Jt snare works perfectly. I’m not gentle w my fishing gear and haven’t broken any jt snares or tucr

I dont think they are fragile by any means.

snelson223
    Austin MN

I have both. They are not close to the same. The TUCR is much stiffer than the JT. It all depends on what you are looking for. They each have there applications. Unless something has changed with TUCR you will not see the rod tip bend like the jt.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Is the JT Snare really whippy? I haven’t handled one.

Good thread. I’m looking for a rod for this exact purpose. I put out a “WTB: TUCR Deadstick” classified post with no locals offering ups anything.

beardly
    Hastings, Mn

I have both. They are not close to the same. The TUCR is much stiffer than the JT. It all depends on what you are looking for. They each have there applications. Unless something has changed with TUCR you will not see the rod tip bend like the jt.

This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you. Appreciate everyone else’s responses as well.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

I checked out a st Croix custom dead stick and was surprised at how much more “sensitive” it was than my TUCR. Is the Jt snare comparable to a st Croix custom? I can’t justify 130$ for a st Croix

Reid Beilke

I can’t believe no one has talked about the DH customs Al Dente Noodle. Great rod. Its all I use for dead sticking.

Dustin Tichy

Do people not make jiggle sticks anymore? I still prefer to fish hand over hand, not a big fan of having a little reel rod.

SW Eyes

Do people not make jiggle sticks anymore? I still prefer to fish hand over hand, not a big fan of having a little reel rod.

I love having my combos because it’s fun, but I like this attitude. It’s nostalgic. As a kid fishing with my old man we only used tip-ups, rattle reels, and jiggle sticks with a spike on the end that you can ram into the ice (the real man’s rod holder). That’s all that anybody used back then. We thought we were revolutionary with the old Mankato suitcase pop-up portable with the tent poles and canvas.

Ive said a few times on here, give a great, experienced fisherman a lead pipe with 20 ft of bailing twine and they’ll outfish the gear-groupies with a grand sunk into their rod/reel combos 9 times out of 10. A dozen TUCRs (as nice as they are) and a panoptix won’t pattern fish for you any better than a wooden stick and used FL-8 from Craigslist.

The marketing juggernauts that are these big ice fishing companies have done a wonderful job of convincing people that the more you spend, the more you catch.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Sharp hooks and aggressive fish will connect…

If you really want to set up so a fish will pin itself, you are gonna have to leave some line out and do it legally without an auto snare. At time, it may just be a slip bobber perfectly balanced. Fish takes bobber under a few feet, then when tugged on line to rod, they get hooked.

Greenhorn
    Bismarck, ND

What kind of custom rod only comes in one length??

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

Do all of you, who are commenting, prefer a Deadstick to a properly balanced slip-bobber rig? If so, why? If not, why? Thanks

Dan Baker

Do all of you, who are commenting, prefer a Deadstick to a properly balanced slip-bobber rig? If so, why? If not, why? Thanks

When I’m walleye fishing, I use just the TUCR DeadStick with the Okumar baitfeeder. I like this better than a slip bobber because I can see the tip of the rod easier than I can see a slip bobber down a hole, especially if I’m in a hard house and the hole is below the floor. I can see the tip of the stick wobble and then I hear the bait feeder click and I know it’s time to set the hook.
    When I am crappie fishing, I use the TUCR DeadStick with a slip bobber, because the Crappie don’t usually pull with enough power to activate the baitfeeder.
    Dan

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I prefer like dan said my thorne bros walleye dead stick but I dont run a bait feeder and I keep bailclosed. The walleyes grab and seem to pin them selves. I watch the rods. The orange tip you can catch bouncing out to corner of your eye easily. But the soft tip with real good back bone is why I prefer the thorne bros over all. But I run slip bobbers when crappie fishing.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

A dedicated dead stick rod is so that a slip bobber is not required. Can still slip bobber rig to anything if a person so desires.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.