Daiwa j-flouro leader

• dirtywater

Anyone have any experience with this? I had a small fleet farm gift card to burn and they didn’t have any seaguar blue label so I took a chance on a small spool of this. It was the only flouro “leader” they had in the store. In the past I’ve just used Berkeley vanish so I’m hoping this is at least a step up from that. 100 yards was about the same price as 25 yards of blue label so I have my doubts.

blank

I used J-Flouro last year, can’t remember if it was 10 or 12lb, and really liked it. I had tried using regular flouro as leader material before and struggled with knots and durability for some reason, and had given me poor confidence in flouro, but the J-flouro leader material was much better.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I’ve never used the Daiwa j material. But if it’s listed as leader material I’m sure it will work fine. Truth be told I bet a lot of the Fluor line is made in the same plant and just labeled with different stickers. What knot do you use to connect it to the main line. If you are not using the FG knot I’d take some time and learn to tie it. It’s a little hard to learn, but once you get it down it’s the best knot for connecting Fluor to mainline. I have not had one failure at the knot since I’ve started using it.

MX1825

Anyone have any experience with this? I had a small fleet farm gift card to burn and they didn’t have any seaguar blue label so I took a chance on a small spool of this. It was the only flouro “leader” they had in the store. In the past I’ve just used Berkeley vanish so I’m hoping this is at least a step up from that. 100 yards was about the same price as 25 yards of blue label so I have my doubts.

Personally I think anything is a step up over Vanish. I’ve tried it 3 times over the years and end up throwing it away. Terrible knot strength IMO.

dirtywater

Thanks for the feedback.

I have read that it’s very likely made by sunline in Japan.

I have always tied the double uni to connect my main line (braid) to flouro leader. My issues have typically been abrasion, not knot failure— but I’ll check out the FG. I’m hesitant to change because I’ve been tying the double uni so long that it’s like second nature!

blank

I used the alberto knot with the J-flouro to braid/fireline and never broke that connection knot, and then palomar knot to the lure. Always good to routinely inspect and test the joining knot. Passing through the guides hundreds of times can wear/weaken the knot over time.

duh queen

Pure fluorocarbon lines tend to lose their strength when tested to 80-90% of their yield strength. After that the tend to break at about 65% of rated yield. To get around this problem I started using a Yozuri hybrid polymer. It still has the wear resistance of FC, but the limpness more associated with Nylon mono. Not stregnth has never been a problem like with Vanish(I also tried that stuff several time, and was always disappointed.) If line stretch isn’t an issue(and it shouldn’t if it’s only a leader) I’d give it a try. The biggest problem is locating the stuff.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.