Cutting the floor carpet floor for quick removal

• JoeMX1825
    MN

I have 2 permanent seat posts for the driver and passenger seats, this requires removing them to get the snap-in floor carpet out. Has anyone either cut it yourself or had a professional tailor cut and hem some slits in the carpet seat post hole sides so you dont need to remove the seats anymore to get the carpet out?

2 simple 6” cuts to the sides of the carpet is all thats needed..

Attachments:
    1. 44B4ECBF-769D-43F1-9424-9A0CCC354A83.jpeg

Brad Dimond

Cutting easy, all it takes is a carpet knife and a straight edge. Strongly advise you to take the carpet to a shop to have the seams bound.

Pauleye
    Onamia

Cut mine a few years ago and have had no problem. My carpet has a rubber back that holds all the fibers together.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I was thinking of just bringing it to a tailor and having the edges hemmed and some velcro flaps added

Brad Dimond

A tailor isn’t likely to have the equipment to hem carpet. A carpet shop will either be able to do it or refer you to somewhere that can. Another option would be a canvas shop – tarps, awnings, boat covers, etc. Their sewing equipment is heavy duty.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I thought it was going to be alot more difficult to take my main seats off but it turns out it’s very simple. I’m going to avoid all the work and cost to have them properly hemmed and just leave them as-is, thanks for the suggestions though!

reddog

Makes no sense to have to remove the seat bases to remove snap in carpeting. I wonder if it isnt just shipped that way to be changed out at the dealer, as they probably have the seats and pedestals all mounted together at the factory maybe. Were they seamed/hemmed around the opening? Id think you could remove the seat from the pedestal, and drop the snap in carpet in over the top of the base, and set the seat back on.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I assumed the front seat bases bieng permanent meant the actual seats would be alot harder to remove, turns out they aren’t, so its no longer an issue quickly getting the carpet out to clean it.

CBMN
    North Metro

In my boat I can just pull the seats off the pedestal post and not mess with the base at all. My passenger seat is a removable post by driver’s seat isn’t and it takes 30 seconds to loosen the seat clam from the top of the post as I remove all of my seats for winter storage. Not a Skeeter but a 2013 pro v.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Makes no sense to have to remove the seat bases to remove snap in carpeting.

The OP never said anything about removing the bases. He only mentions removing the seats.

so you don’t need to remove the seats

mojogunter

I had Banner canvas sew an edge along the edges where she cut the carpet and around the circle for the seat base that it didn’t come with from the factory, so I could remove the carpet if I didn’t want it in.

Attachments:
    1. 20200313_191750.jpg

JoeMX1825
    MN

I had Banner canvas sew an edge along the edges where she cut the carpet and around the circle for the seat base that it didn’t come with from the factory, so I could remove the carpet if I didn’t want it in.

cool, what did they charge you?

JoeMX1825
    MN

I think it was $75

perfect and they are close by too. Can you please send me a few close up pictures of what they did so I can show them for reference? I’ll shoot you a pm with my info

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

i cut mine and then just melted the edges with a lighter.
    easy job, looked fine, worked fine, zero cost, no fraying.

if it is only a once per year swap, monkeying with the seats is no big deal. on mine i kept the carpet in during the fall, but liked to remove it to clean underneath after fishing, so it was in and out frequently enough that this made it much easier than popping the seats off.

Gregk9
    Far Northern IL

IDK, I might try this. My boat’s the same way. Or I might sell the rug and get sea deck installed. The carpet’s a pain in the ass anytime it get rained on I have to take it out and hang it over something to dry.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.