Custom ice rods

• jgross
    Northeast SD

Hey everyone, I’m a fan of Thorne Bros and TUCRs however just wondering if anyone is using JT outdoors custom rods, ice rods or long rods if so what do you think? Any feedback would be great! THANKS

Jake Hendrickson
    Inactive
    Madison, WI

PM Sent

404 ERROR
    MN

I’ve heard good things about the JT rods, I have yet to use them. Hoping to get one in my rod box soon.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

sold most of my st. Croix long rods and switched over to JTs. Also added some of the ice rods. The long rods are fantastic. Fished side by side with a G Loomis NRX and prefer the JTX and it is half the price.

Jake Hendrickson
    Inactive
    Madison, WI

I’ve heard good things about the JT rods, I have yet to use them. Hoping to get one in my rod box soon.

PM Sent

Wharf Rat
    Mahtomedi

I bought two rods recently from JT Custom. One was the Panhandler and the other was the Shiver Stick.
    In my opinion these rods are excellent. Very close to spec and finish quality as the two TUCR rods I own. I have used the Panhandler a few times for gills and crappies. It has a fantastic feel. I really love it. Haven’t tried the Shiver Stick yet, but I plan to use it at Upper Red next weekend. I will compare it with my TUCR Precision and report back.
    JTC rods are a little cheaper than TUCR, and when I ordered mine they had them in stock so I didn’t have to wait 5 weeks. So far so good. I’m happy there are great quality rods available from local sources.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Their snare rod looks awesome, and a few buddies that have them absolutely love them.

jgross
    Northeast SD

Thanks for all the replies so far! No doubt they look like a quality product! Once I get my hands on one I’ll let everyone know how it performs!

Jake Hendrickson
    Inactive
    Madison, WI

Great rods and great company to work with. Let me know if any of you have questions, would be happy to answer them!

Trevor Ellingson
    Long Lake, MN

I purchased a Gold Digger at the Blaine ice expo. So far ive used it for fishing Slab Raps abd UL Rippun Raps targeting crappies and it performs flawlessly.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Great rods and great company to work with. Let me know if any of you have questions, would be happy to answer them!

Jake

I was looking at the 34″ gold digger, how big a lure can you fish with that one? Primary use would be walleye jigging rod.

PmB

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jake Hendrickson wrote:</div>

Jake

I was looking at the 34″ gold digger, how big a lure can you fish with that one? Primary use would be walleye jigging rod.

Any more reviews of the gold digger?

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I havent tried the JT ice rods yet but am very impressed with their open water rods, as I am with TUCR open water rods. To me, both open water rods are excellent, but yet there is a difference between them in feel of the bite. That said, I wouldnt purchase another GLoomis or St Croix after using either

AaronMoore

anyone trying out the walleye snare? did see the youtube video on this but looking for some other real world views

PmB

I haven’t used mine yet but it seems pretty awesome. Very light tip and tons of backbone. I think it would make a good big crappie/ perch hole hopping rod also. L.o.w. 2nd -5th can’t wait!

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

anyone trying out the <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleye snare? did see the youtube video on this but looking for some other real world views

Both snare rods work fantastic. I fish more crappie than walleye through the ice so my panfish snares get far more use than my walleye snares. I’m not sure I’ve missed a crappie on the snare. One morning I had 31 bites and caught 31 fish. I see a bit lower percentage on walleye, but not by much. I like running one in a hole about 5 feet away from my jigging hole, and often times a fish you pull in by jigging that doesn’t commit ends up snared. They work great with the hotbox as well if you want to set them a ways away from your shack and not worry about your hole freezing up.

Christian Slick

Definitely recommend the gold digger. Have the 34” and wouldn’t trade it for anything. Use it with 1/16th spoons up to 3/8th. Size 4 rippin raps feel perfect too. Can feel every fish and definitely handles big walleye with ease. Great company as well

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.