Current State – MN Deer Management

• buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

My plan for the CWD hunt is to have a shotgun with me while I’m working outside and if the opportunity presents itself to harvest one of the vandals wrecking my trees, I may do so. Our 160 wooded acres in 342 will have 0 hunters on it at that time. I talked to the landowners on both sides of us and they said that nobody will be hunting their acreage either. One has 320 acres and the other 220 + a 40 across the road.

I can see where the state land will get hunted heavily (as it always does), but private landowners aren’t suddenly going to just stack up deer because they can. I don’t agree with the hunt or philosophy necessarily, but I don’t foresee it having major impacts on deer populations in those 3 days. What keeps SE MN deer hunting special for both size and quantity of deer is the forage from ag land, the bluff country that’s less easier to hunt offering phenomenal habitat, the less harsh winters, and the large pieces of private land that go relatively untouched by hunters.

hillhiker
    SE MN

Where I hunt will be similar Bucky. Between the farm I hunt and roughly 800 acres around us will be vacant of hunters except the few of us who are still trying to fill our standard buck tag and maybe one or two more doe tags. I’m sure the public will get hit by a few people, but by this point in the year there aren’t many deer living in there.

I thought it was interesting talking to a local last night who was complaining about his deer season, the lack of deer sightings, and how terrible the upcoming CWD hunt will be for the herd. As we talked more he admitted he had as many or even more deer on camera this year compared to last. I have heard similar complaints from multiple people in the area, but I don’t think you can fully blame a slow season on deer numbers being down like many do atleast in my area(southeastern edge of 605). I by no means support this hunt, but I think there’s plenty of deer around even if it was a slow season for many in the neighborhood. I don’t think this is a sky is falling scenario. It’s not like this is the first year for this hunt in my area, and there’s been no real noticeable change in numbers that I can tell.

haleysgold
    SE MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tswoboda wrote:</div>
    Are there any other states that take the “kill em all” approach to CWD?

I believe that is the standard operating procedure now, for any states/places that get a CWD positive new to the area.

I could be wrong but I don’t think the western states even test for it anymore.
    They have 1000’s of CWD DEER AND elk.
    So why does MN?

jimmysiewert

I agree Haleysgold – but the people getting all this money the DNR is dishing out for CWD would start bitching!! In our area of 342 (Oak Center to West Albany Area) – the population is way down – Unless the deer have figured out a way to hide in culverts. Thank God there is no State Land too close to us.
    I will spend my time during the CWD hunt putting up more “No Trespassing” signs and be on Poachers Patrol.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

If the new CWD area is anything like SE MN area this hunt and maybe next year’s may be busy. Then it will taper off greatly. There is currently several areas for this lateseason hunt so that is going to spread the pressure around. Does anyone know if the dnr has a harvest quota there are looking to hit? Is there going to be sharp shooters like SE MN?

Typically we would be hunting by Preston for the hunt but don’t think we are going this year. My buddy tagged out in Wisc yesterday so don’t really need the meat.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20231204_182316.jpg

haleysgold
    SE MN

That’s a dandy Mike!

Jimmy – let me know if there’s a DNR discussion on CWD coming up.
    I have a lot to say but you might need to hold me back…or maybe vice versa!

It won’t do any good. Ya know we aren’t degreed…whatever they are but we can vent.

If I’m out It’ll be with a bow in the nicer weather. The pop closer to ZF is crap judging from what I’ve seen. But the 20-25 hit on the hwy last winter by me put a dent the herd. But across the hwy it’s pretty good. I don’t get it?

Back to CWD. BS. Show me proof wiping out what’s left works. Doesn’t exist.

M F

Colorado has mandatory testing across much of the state, Wyoming is voluntary I think.

Multiple studies have shown high prevalence areas having virtually zero deer older than 4. Anecdotally, the areas of Wyoming my friends antelope hunt, the COs figure they’re losing 25% of their deer to CWD every year, and with winter kill on top of that the herd isn’t replenishing.

pass0047
    Pool4

In my opinion the concern is not with the herd. It’s the risk or perceived risk to people eating deer infected with cwd. I know enough about the disease that I would not feed a cwd infected deer to my family. Yes no proof it can be passed to people but there was no proof of mad cow passing to people for over a decade. Even a top vet who researched cwd in Texas who was willing to eat a cwd infected deer did not feed it to his wife and kids.
    Limited study shows monkies developed symptoms of cwd after being fed cwd infected deer meat.

I was at a forum at veterinary conference and there was county/ zone in Wisc that had 50% of bucks tested positive for cwd. They also feel that it can be spread through processing multiple deer through.
    People who know more about cwd and are smarter then me wont eat infected deer. In my opinion ignoring is not a good option. Just my 2 cents

jimmysiewert

Sitting at 151k for total harvest. Down over 7% from last year. Muzzleloader harvest is down like 27% from last year which was a great muzzy year. Most property owners I have talked to in 342 will not be letting anyone hunt during the DNR’s “kill em all” season next week. A couple said they personally may go out to fill an open tag from previous seasons on a doe – which can’t blame them. Will be interesting around here!!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Killing 1 doe now almost equates to killing 3 deer. If driving deer numbers up is the goal why shoot a deer that may be holding a baby or 2?

jimmysiewert

These are property owners whom have bought bow, gun and muzzy licenses for all regular seasons but have been selective. If they haven’t harvested “A” deer to put “some” meet in their freezer – so be it and good for them. We are talking about those that will, and have, the same “kill em all” attitude as the DNR because they “can”. And that is about to happen.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Sitting at 151k for total harvest. Down over 7% from last year. Muzzleloader harvest is down like 27% from last year which was a great muzzy year.

Thanks for the stats. Down 7% isn’t that bad considering how many people have posted lately about the lack of deer activity. Wonder why muzzle loader harvest is so far down? Too warm?

jimmysiewert

Seems like last year with all the snow already (speaking SE MN). They were really yarded up. It was a record muzzy year last year. They definitely are not yardedup down here yet much. My gauge is my property. They NEVER winter here and move to farms about 2 miles away from here. There are still deer here so definitely had to be weather related as a big factor. Just my opinion.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Do you think the slightly lower muzzleloader numbers have anything to do with maybe those guys crossbow hunted ?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

These are property owners whom have bought bow, gun and muzzy licenses for all regular seasons but have been selective. If they haven’t harvested “A” deer to put “some” meet in their freezer – so be it and good for them. We are talking about those that will, and have, the same “kill em all” attitude as the DNR because they “can”. And that is about to happen.

I wasn’t talking about any one specifically. Just was curious why a doe would be any ones target at the moment unless they haven’t seen a doe the entire time before the rut. Wasn’t trying to offend any one by asking a question nor was I trying to be negative. I guess if it’s legal it’s legal. And for the guys who want to go kill them all, so be it. Blame the dnr and not the hunter legally abiding by the law. Again I wouldn’t touch a doe after the rut personally

jimmysiewert

I’m with ya and no worries. I know there is nothing we can do about it and if the DNR isn’t happy with results with this next weeks hunt, then they “could” call in the sharp shooters which would REALLY upset many around here.
    It’s just the fact that there isn’t that many deer around here in the first place – THAT is the frustrating part for many of us.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’m with ya and no worries. I know there is nothing we can do about it and if the DNR isn’t happy with results with this next weeks hunt, then they “could” call in the sharp shooters which would REALLY upset many around here.
    It’s just the fact that there isn’t that many deer around here in the first place – THAT is the frustrating part for many of us.

I feel for you guys already seeing lower numbers, and then the kill em all dnr opens up a season like that. At least it’s only a couple days and hopefully the deer can keep doing what they do and avoid people

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’m probably 0/30 or so in talking with others and finding a landowner who plans to have themselves or anyone else hunt their land during this CWD hunt (us included). My guess is that the public areas will get hunted with mostly a “brown it’s down” mentality like always with fewer participants, and the vast majority of the private land has little harvest or attempted harvest. It’s not as if all the deer in 342 stack into public land, rather much the opposite is more than likely true.

Between people disagreeing with the hunt, not being aware of the hunt, holiday plans, kids and families in the heart of sports seasons (basketball, wrestling, hockey), and everything else…I really don’t expect this to impact deer populations one way or another. It will be logged as an attempted intervention by the MNDNR though which could open the door to something more invasive in the future.

M F

We figured we lost 20-25% of our corn to deer/turkey damage this year in the southeast. It would have been worse if it hadn’t been a mast year for acorns.

jimmysiewert

MF: there is some interesting facts study’s around the damage deer vs. turkey’s do. An average turkey will take out in some studies 3 acres of corn per. The damage that deer do is very low compared to turkeys. I always have found no problem getting permission to hunt land for turkeys for that exact reason.

The results are in from the CWD hunt in the entire season and another flop (good)!! The kill was down 8% vs. the previous year which almost correlates exactly with the overall trend down for deer kill.

VERY few people were out in zone 342. Now we better hope and pray the DNR doesn’t bring in their sharpshooters at night to take out even more from a dwindling population……

haleysgold
    SE MN

Jimmy – Did you find any counts yet?

I heard like 64 deer taken in 342 during the 3 days?
    I don’t think any results are back yet.
    Wondering what people are doing with them while they wait?

Also, like 13000 were tested during all the seasons and 39 tested positive?
    All by word of mouth. Have not seen anything in print.

Jimmy Jones

Jimmy –
    I heard like 64 deer taken in 342 during the 3 days?
    Also, like 13000 were tested during all the seasons and 39 tested positive?

13000 from 342 ? No way.

haleysgold
    SE MN

JJ – 13000 tested during ALL the seasons. Sorry, I Meant statewide.

jimmysiewert

Yeah – was reading in Outdoor News how the CWD hunt went. I was surprised 64 were killed in 342 actually! I saw only a couple hunters everywhere I drove. Of course the DNR was disappointed on the CWD kill – so I am VERY afraid what their next plans are…. Everyone should join the FB Outdoor News page. It is EXTREMELY evident that hunters are beyond dissatisfied with the current DNR Management Strategy – and that is very clearly stated in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan. Will the DNR listen? Hard to say – but they surely won’t if people do not speak up!!

wkw

Jimmy, You know as well as I do, when the DNR gets involved it gets F’d up! Look at fishing on Milacs. And they’re efforts to protect the wolves.I have cattle ranchers that wanna give it up because of wolves.

jimmysiewert

Absolutely right Wayne!! Stakeholders are NOT equal here. The DNR needs to listen to the people in northern Minnesota – not the concrete forest people dictating right or wrong. Same goes for southern Minnesota. Listen to us – and the policies that affect us. Not the concrete forest keyboard warriors!

Viewing 27 posts - 211 through 237 (of 237 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.