Current State – MN Deer Management

• haleysgold
    SE MN

Jimmy – did you report all the illegal crap going on to the CO?

Wondering if he would actually show up.

I heard 1 shot at 6 AM yesterday morning and 2 more at 6:20. Pitch dark out so they either had one in the head lights or shining.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

No deer left. Wolves have decimated them in northern MN. We haven’t hunted deer at our cabin for 6-7 years now. You hardly ever see deer when driving around anymore. Used to see deer everywhere while driving around. Last few years there are very few deer and a lot of wolves on our cameras.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Jimmy – did you report all the illegal crap going on to the CO?

Wondering if he would actually show up.

I heard 1 shot at 6 AM yesterday morning and 2 more at 6:20. Pitch dark out so they either had one in the head lights or shining.

Depends on the area. Our CO near Orr, MN is a very “hands off” kind of guy. Really frustrating when we have poachers and trespassers.

jimmysiewert

Hi Haleysgold! Son was able to get license plate and calling game warden this am. Fortunately the CO in this area is very responsive. They were literally 100 yards from my house and either they are as stupid as a brick or just don’t care one bit what is right or wrong. Already this am back and forth on the road (I am the only house on this one mile road) different trucks road hunting. All the land is posted on both sides of the road legally and they…just…don’t…care!!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Dumb question as I never do it. But isn’t shining for deer legal now, as long as you are not actively hunting ? Driving up and down a road shining fields ? As long as one isn’t hunting with a bow, gun , or anything else ?

jimmysiewert

Private property and they have no permission. Pulled over and shining with guns in a vehicle. They were there for one reason – to hunt like a coward.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Private property and they have no permission. Pulled over and shining with guns in a vehicle. They were there for one reason – to hunt like a coward.

I wasn’t aware of the circumstances. Yeah people suck.

jimmysiewert

And within 250’ of my house Bearcat. I think really stupid people like these idiots do really stupid things (case in point). Blatant disregard all the way around.
    One more day of the madness. Just sucks now there is a coating of snow on the ground down here and that will bring the road hunting to the next level.

candiru

I hunt west central. The numbers seem down, and I know of a few spots where people found dead deer this spring from winterkill. We seem to have had too many deer recently. The browse line in the trees was really prominent in the spring/early summer. There is some area around me that isn’t hunted, and a few people just interested in the trophies. We limited the does we shot this year and the deer we got were in real nice shape.

I don’t think the poaching/road hunting is anything like what it was 30+ years ago.

jimmysiewert

Well – here we go!! Our zone 342 has already seen a decrease in deer harvested, many see the significant decline already in the overall deer population – and now, just announced, the DNR is opening up a “Kill em all” season December 15th – December 17th. People can shoot as many bucks and does as they want due to the ONE CWD deer they found this past season. Us hunters can control the controllables!

haleysgold
    SE MN

Oh that’s just great.
    I haven’t seen near the amount of deer in 342 this year compared to years past.
    That should really kick the population here in the arse.

Not sure it’s an open season though.
    Looks like you can use any unused tag you still have.
    Total BS IMO.

jimmysiewert

Haleysgold: “Disease management permits will be sold and used to tag both antlered and antlerless deer. There are no restrictions on the number of deer that a hunter may take”.

This is an absolute croc!!!!

You can still used unfilled bonus permits for example, but only can tag antlerless deer with those.

Michael Best

I never could understand the sky is falling view from wildlife agencies when it comes to CWD.
    Ground zero for CWD in Colorado has a very healthy deer herd these days. CPW in Colorado estimates over 15,000 head in 7, 8, 9, 19 and 191.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Haleysgold: “Disease management permits will be sold and used to tag both antlered and antlerless deer. There are no restrictions on the number of deer that a hunter may take”.

You can still used unfilled bonus permits for example, but only can tag antlerless deer with those.

That is a crock. Kind of sad, I can imagine the heard of guys that’ll flock that way as well

Justin riegel

I never could understand the sky is falling view from wildlife agencies when it comes to CWD.
    Ground zero for CWD in Colorado has a very healthy deer herd these days. CPW in Colorado estimates over 15,000 head in 7, 8, 9, 19 and 191.

I agree, I looked at the numbers yesterday and only 200 deer have ever tested positive in MN for it. Less then 10 of those were found dead. the rest were hunter killed or car hits. To me it is a money grab.

EHD kills way more deer then CWD, but we do not see that often in MN.

CaptainMusky

The only time I had ever heard of EHD was when they did the drawdown on the MIssissippi in Sartell to bring Little Rock Lake down so they could do shoreline improvements to help with water quality. I live on the West side of the river North of Sartell and there were a ton of deer that died from EHD that summer near my house.

haleysgold
    SE MN

Guess I didn’t see that part just this:
    A hunter may use any unfilled archery, firearms, muzzleloader or landowner deer hunting license. Unfilled bonus permits and early antlerless permits also may be used. The hunting method used must match the license.

So you save $2.50 if you have any unused tags.
    Whoopee.
    Croc…good word for it.

Michael Best

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Michael Best wrote:</div>

I agree, I looked at the numbers yesterday and only 200 deer have ever tested positive in MN for it. Less then 10 of those were found dead. the rest were hunter killed or car hits. To me it is a money grab.

Yeah EHD is deadly. Nebraska was decimated after the 2012 outbreak. In areas half the herd was wiped out. The lingering effects lasted a handful of years.

I hunted with an outfitter in SD back in 2020. He has a spray that he uses to kill the midge. It seams to work pretty well. The herd in his area are doing good.

I think the natural immunity the deer are getting is helping as well.

Justin riegel

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Justin riegel wrote:</div>
    To me it is a money grab.

What is the money grab?

“The DNR has spent more than $21 million on chronic wasting disease response since 2003. In recent years the annual cost has increased rapidly, approaching $4 million this fiscal year. Department of Natural Resources spending on chronic wasting disease is increasing as the disease is found in more areas of the state.”

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Our Area #342 just got added to the CWD hunt from December 15-17 due to a deer testing positive that was harvested this fall.

From what I was sent, the harvest is unlimited during this window – however all deer taken must be tested (not sure how that works). I’m expecting very few hunters even participate, but with local densities I truly think I could harvest 10-15 deer easily in that 3 day span off our property if I had the desire to.

Maybe I just found the solution to my deer and tree problem from the other thread!

jimmysiewert

I agree Bucky there are pockets of deer in 342 that have high density. However, there is vast areas from Wabasha north to Lake City, then to Zumbro Falls that dozens of diehards hunt all season(s) and they say the same thing – the population is dismal.
    I find it interesting also that between my brother, I and my significant other walked over 800 miles shed hunting last winter/spring – and yet we could count on one hand the number of dead heads we found. 2 of the 3 I found were coyote kill yearlings for sure. So where are all these infected deer that are dead??? Nor have I have I ever seen a zombie deer walking through the woods and like you, spend countless hours hunting, etc. So what is the DNR trying to prove with this? They increased the harvest rate this last year from 2 to 3 and yet the harvest is down YTD approximately 15% from last year. Along with that – hunters per sq. mile has already increased to 9.6 per sq. mile in 342. The DNR isn’t going to stop just with this one hunt Dec. 15 – 17th. They will continue and the outcome will get worse and worse the next few years.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Yes I have heard similar accounts in and around the Lake City area that people are seeing fewer deer.

I do know that ag operations on Hwy 42 heading towards Plainview to the SW of Wabasha are about as fed up with deer damage as those Northerners are with wolves.

My personal opinion is that in those 3 days, an “unlimited” harvest will have minimal impact or actual harvest. Private landowners aren’t suddenly going to change their typical practices. Also, by then hunting has been open for some time…the holiday hoopla is on us for many people…and that’s usually the time period with some of the best ice fishing on the river.

I might take a walk around the property with a muzzleloader for a couple hours just to get away, but the odds of me caring enough to shoot something that weekend are pretty slim. …unless it’s chewing on one of my trees, then its entire family will be harvested.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I find it interesting also that between my brother, I and my significant other walked over 800 miles shed hunting last winter/spring – and yet we could count on one hand the number of dead heads we found. 2 of the 3 I found were coyote kill yearlings for sure. So where are all these infected deer that are dead??? Nor have I have I ever seen a zombie deer walking through the woods and like you, spend countless hours hunting, etc. So what is the DNR trying to prove with this?

Agreed. I don’t really understand the logic behind the CWD hunts. So they have a CWD positive deer, so they try and decimate the deer herd in that area to prevent spread. They want to prevent the spread because CWD has never, but *could*, decimate the deer herd..??? Plus they act like CWD is a new disease that they just don’t know what to do about it. It was discovered in Colorado 50 years ago, Colorado’s deer herd is still thriving. It’s been in Wisconsin for at least 20 years, and their biggest issue is the high density of deer in the CWD area…….. coffee

ajw

Government shooters and “special cwd tags/seasons” have killed WAY more deer than the disease itself.

Attachments:
    1. 46E59469-05DD-4E73-A944-8E8279E17CCD.jpeg

tswoboda

So they have a CWD positive deer, so they try and decimate the deer herd in that area to prevent spread. They want to prevent the spread because CWD has never, but *could*, decimate the deer herd..??? Plus they act like CWD is a new disease that they just don’t know what to do about it. It was discovered in Colorado 50 years ago, Colorado’s deer herd is still thriving. It’s been in Wisconsin for at least 20 years, and their biggest issue is the high density of deer in the CWD area……..

I’m sweating from the mental gymnastics required to comprehend all this jester

Are there any other states that take the “kill em all” approach to CWD?

Buffalo Fishhead

I believe New York did something like this and was fairly successful in stopping the spread of CWD for a while at least.

I do not know what their current situation is.

Buffalo Fishhead

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I believe that is the standard operating procedure now, for any states/places that get a CWD positive new to the area.

Viewing 30 posts - 181 through 210 (of 237 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.