Current Information and Tips for Crossing Into Canada

• lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Me and a buddy are taking Dad and Uncle on a fly-in early August. It’s been a few years since I’ve crossed the border. Any current info and tips appreciated

Can you no longer bring crawlers at all? It is still advisable to have a printed list of all supplies? Still allowed 1 liter of liquor?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Tell the border guard you’re there to see the Stanley Cup with a smirk on your face. That will get you right in.

CaptainMusky

No crawlers at all even if in bedding. That all changed last year when it opened back up after Covid. Otherwise no eggs, no potatoes, no watermelon all sorts of stuff. You can bring fries and such, but no whole potatoes. I think the border patrol lists this all out but we just dont bring any of that stuff. One year we brought potatoes because we didnt check beforehand and had to toss them.
    You can get through just fine with an enhanced drivers license but passport works too. A regular drivers license doesnt work.

tswoboda

Can you no longer bring crawlers at all? It is still advisable to have a printed list of all supplies? Still allowed 1 liter of liquor?

The list is a good idea for items with limits. We always write down exact totals of alcohol and tobacco for the vehicle and hand it to the agent when they ask. The booze limit is one 40 oz bottle of liquor or 24 twelve ounce cans of beer. Pay a small duty on anything over that (sometimes). Don’t cross with any cannabis products even where it’s legal on both sides.

No bait can cross the border, alive or dead.

lindyrig79

Tell the border guard you’re there to see the Stanley Cup with a smirk on your face. That will get you right in.

Ummm, not looking to start a fight doah

lindyrig79

Oh wow, no eggs or potatoes? I’ll have to find the border patrol website I guess

lindyrig79

The list is a good idea for items with limits. We always write down exact totals of alcohol and tobacco for the vehicle and hand it to the agent when they ask. The booze limit is one 40 oz bottle of liquor or 24 twelve ounce cans of beer. Pay a small duty on anything over that (sometimes). Don’t cross with any cannabis products even where it’s legal on both sides.

No bait can cross the border, alive or dead.

Good to know

JEREMY
    BP

Ive never been to Canada but I think I know what can and cant go since this is a new topic 6 times a month.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Ive never been to Canada but I think I know what can and cant go since this is a new topic 6 times a month.

And yet, you read it every time ? doah

orve4

You actually can Bring in eggs now as long as they say USDA on them.

lindyrig79

I remember a recent one about DWIs that pretty much boiled down to Agent Discretion if I read it right.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

You can also bring in processed potatoes. Only fresh in-the-skin potatoes are still banned.

I would be interested to know what people are finding the limit is on bringing gas in without paying duty? I always take my boat tank full plus 2X 5 gallon cans and I mention it every time but they don’t bat an eyelash at 2 cans. Can you bring more?

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

I know people like to get quick answers on a fishing forum but I have already seen errors in the info. I suggest you read the following and if you have a questions you can always call a border agent in which you are traveling threw. By all means ask questions but don’t get to the border and say well I heard it on my fishing forum. Just got back from Canada in which I visit 5-6 times a year and got asked the question, when was the last time your boat was in the water and if I had pressure sprayed and dried before I got there. Of course I always keep my boat clean and dry but just heads up.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ivc-rnc-eng.html

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

I would be interested to know what people are finding the limit is on bringing gas in without paying duty? I always take my boat tank full plus 2X 5 gallon cans and I mention it every time but they don’t bat an eyelash at 2 cans. Can you bring more?

Haven’t been asked that question in probably 20 years. At that time we called the border agent and he said there was not a limit. When we got to the border he told the agent what he had and said you have to pay duty. Father in law said he talked to an agent the day before and the other agent said he lied and told him to come in. After about 10 minutes they called his name and said no duty free to go. I travel across the border with 55 gallons in the boat and carry 40-70 gallons in cans never had an issue.

CaptainMusky

I have never been asked about any gas I am bringing in. I typically bring 2 5 gallon cans plus the 41 gallons my boat holds. I was worried this year that I would have enough gas to make it back to the landing since it was an additional 10 miles each way. Filled the tank when I got home and I had 7 gallons left. I used WAAAAAY less than the two other boats in my group. Mercury Verado and a SOW ETEC. They each used over 12 gallons just getting to the resort while I used 5 with my Suzuki.

stjoeguy

Bait: No bait, dead or alive.

Food: https://inspection.canada.ca/food-safety-for-consumers/bringing-food-into-canada-for-personal-use/eng/1389630031549/1389630282362#tab1

Bringing food into Canada for personal use

Eggs and processed egg products
    During outbreaks of avian disease (Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza and Newcastle Disease), eggs must be retail packaged, for human consumption, and clearly labelled as a “Product of the USA”
    Eggs from a farm or backyard flock are not permitted for import at any time
    5 dozen eggs

Processed egg products:

20 kg (if measured by weight) of processed eggs
    20 L (if measured by volume) of processed eggs

Fresh fruits or vegetables
    Refer to AIRS

Potatoes must be commercially packaged and graded US No.1

Fruits: 20 kg

Vegetables: 20 kg

When we crossed earlier in June we brought potatoes across the border, but bought eggs in Dryden rather than taking a chance. I’ve never seen eggs labeled as “Product of the USA”. The border agent asked us about bait, guns, knives, cigarettes and liquor, but no questions about food.

CaptainMusky

Yeah we have never been asked about food. But if they ask you about bear spray and you say you have some that is a for sure go through your vehicle so dont even bother bringing it along. Bear spray is legal, but pepper spray is not. So admitting to bear spray they will scour your vehicle and boat to make sure you dont have pepper spray. I read my buddy the riot act when he did that the first year what a PITA. They basically destroy your vehicle and make you put it all back. Had the same thing happen because another guy said he had cigars and they wanted to make sure they were not Cubans. He was pissed. Best to just not bring that sort of crap along.

sipple31
    West Central Sconni

Just to be crystal clear on the alcohol stuff… the official page is written in the context of “you”… so I assume that means the limits are on a per-person basis?

CaptainMusky

Per person correct. So if one person goes over and someone else doesnt even have any then I am pretty sure they will still have to pay because they are over.

big_g
    Isle, MN

That’s odd… I buy Cubans when I go to Canada when I can find them. They are legal there.

lindyrig79

See that is why this post is valuable to me. Father in law said bring bear spray but I was skeptical. That will be a no-go great information.

CaptainMusky

That’s odd… I buy Cubans when I go to Canada when I can find them. They are legal there.

That is true, but you cannot bring them in just like you cannot bring pot in even if its legal here and its legal there. Doesnt make much sense, but its true.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

That is true, but you cannot bring them in just like you cannot bring pot in even if its legal here and its legal there. Doesnt make much sense, but its true.

You can not bring pot over any border in the US because even it’s legal in the state it is not legal federally which ever US state border is controlled by the Fed.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.