Crossbow advise.

• robby
    Quad Cities

Thinking of making the switch to a crossbow. Almost specifically for deer hunting. Not looking to spend top dollar, I want to get my feet wet for a season or two and then decide. I am trying to avoid huge, heavy, unwieldy set ups. Your opinions and advise are much appreciated.

Tom Albrecht
    Eau Claire

I’m sure there are fishing guys that know their crossbow info but might be better served posting through the hunting general discussion forum?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I have a Ravin R10

I chronographed it at 398fps
    Shoots groups past 100yds.

That’s one purchase I’ll never regret.
    waytogo waytogo

Attachments:
    1. CameraZOOM-20190503224437682.jpg

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’ve been researching for a while, and FBRM nailed it. The Ravin’s are the best by a wide margin. The new TenPointe Knock off of the Ravin is solid too, but still has some older tech. If you get outside of the new super light mini-cams, there’s a lot of solid options for a lot cheaper. But they are significantly wider, heavier, shoot slower, shorter distances and require more maintenance. I’ll be buying a Ravin ASAP.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Bigwerm, shop around. There are some deals. There can be haggle room even with some online retailers.

Get the hard case. It is great. Like a coffin.

Add a level. Must have for cant.
    Sling really helps to stabilize your hold also.

Spyderweb targets are the best. I have the 24xl no speed limit.

We’ve shot over 400 in 5 months.

I wanted a crossbow that is fun and easy to shoot. Here’s my daughter shooting floating ping pong balls in my house. Good entertainment.

I have yet to break a bolt with the spyderweb and am still using my original 6 bolts… Though I have new ones ready for hunting.
    My dad has the R15 and ‘the block’ and it goes past fletching. He wrecks bolts a lot.

Grim reaper broadheads were my choice.

You do need to practice as the feel isn’t like a gun. It is wider and a little less stabile. With practice that goes away. I can hit bullseye at 50 yds standing now.

My ethical range for deer given speed of sound, arrow speed, and deer reaction time is 47yds. Based on my research.
    That’s my absolute limit given the right conditions.

However they do have more energy at 100yds than most compound bow at 30yds… But a lot can happen during flight.

Enjoy crossbow shopping. I was never going to spend the money on a Ravin but dam, glad I did.

Attachments:
    1. CameraZOOM-201906301211386611.jpg

onestout
    Hudson, WI

What are the major differences in the Raven models? The 10 combo is around 1500, which is a lot but some of their other models are up around 2500, what makes them that much better?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Very little difference.
    R10=400
    R15=425
    R29=430

R26 is the oddball and more of a Target toy from what I’ve read.

Some minor dimension and weight changes between some models but very little.

My dad has an R15 and he wants a R29. I told him he’s crazy… Especially since he bought his R15 with case, 20 arrows, broadheads, and block for $1000… Course he wouldn’t take my $1300 lol and somebody he knew had to die to get that deal.

He also had wrong impression of what you get by going up in models.

IMO the R10 is best bang for your buck.

They all decock very nicely. Will be great getting in an out of stands safely.
    Just be damn sure your hanging onto the handle. Read and follow all instructions. This is serious poundage.

My daughter was shooting this summer, I cocked the bow for her and she wasn’t paying attention. She went to cock (what she thought was an uncocked bow) and it was a quick trip to the ER. Very lucky girl. Missed her eye by an inch. Her hand slipped off the handle and it swung around at ballistic speeds.

My research says their strings aren’t that great but there are some really good ones out there. They have gotten better since introduction too.

Get a press (I will this winter) and restring yourself as well as set timing.

You can buy crossbow that will kill deer for under $500 no prob. But you get what you pay for.

Ravin created a new bar when this design came out.

Attachments:
    1. CameraZOOM-20190713183154581.jpg

BigWerm
    SW Metro

What are the major differences in the Raven models? The 10 combo is around 1500, which is a lot but some of their other models are up around 2500, what makes them that much better?

My understanding is the R10 is 33″ long and shoots 400 fps, the R26 is 26″ long and shoots 400 fps, and the R29 is 29″ long and shoots 430 fps. So really just depends on your usage, if length is a main factor you might want to opt up to R26 or R29. For stand and MN Spot and stalk hunting I think the R10 will be more than enough. They all weigh in just under 7 lbs, or 10 lbs loaded with accessories.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Does the scope on the R10 have yardage markers? Is it even needed? I am guessing 1 mark for 50yds. And it will be good for anything closer.?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Scope is the same on all models except R26.
    The scope has markers:

My only beef with the scope is fixed zoom. You can go aftermarket if you choose to. But the scope is nice. I’ve read not the best at low light.

R26 is shorter but the bolts are the same length so they stick out and are exposed. So kind of a moot with the exception of it probably moving more weight back. It also means you’ll have less to grab. I’m a big guy and I find these to be short but nothing you cannot get accustomed to.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

FYI I was at Gander since they have a sale going on, and if you are a Member or join you get 40% off your purchase INCLUDING crossbows. So I got a new Ravin R10 with extra illuminock bolts, strap, and case for less than the bow would be normally. By far the best deal I’ve seen for one!

robby
    Quad Cities

The Ravens are super nice but I’m not going that way…..yet. I’m going to start out lesser. I thought I put that in my post. Not sure.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

The Ravens are super nice but I’m not going that way…..yet. I’m going to start out lesser. I thought I put that in my post. Not sure.

You did, sorry we got off on a tangent! lol I’d look for a used one, or go to Gander right now they had a good lineup of crossbows and they are all 40% off and you should be able to get a nice setup for a few 100. I have a buddy that shoots a traditional style 10 Point and it’s a nice consistent shooting xbow.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

After hunting last fall I realized I need something easier to shoot in the really cold weather, it was just too hard to shoot the compound with all the clothes needed. I was at the deer classic the few hours it was open and came across a deal I couldn’t pass up. Ravin must have some new models coming out because the current ones were marked down pretty good, and the R10 and R20 were the same price. I picked up an R20 combo for 1299. Now I need a target, which one do people like the best? I am guessing my current target that my compound can almost shoot though isn’t going to cut it.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

You will want a spiderweb target.

Nothing better for the speed of a ravin!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

x2 I ruined a few arrows on a regular block target, it actually would shoot thru the block and the archery range target as well when I tried to jimmy rig it.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>FishBlood&RiverMud wrote:</div>

x2 I ruined a few arrows on a regular block target, it actually would shoot thru the block and the archery range target as well when I tried to jimmy rig it.

Yuuup.
    You’ll see my warning in the second post I made on this thread… before you bought your ravin… large crawler:)

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Yuuup.
    You’ll see my warning in the second post I made on this thread… before you bought your ravin… large crawler:)

Haha yeah, I saw it and read it, I’ve always learned better thru trial and error tho! rotflol

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.