Cromwell Area Ice conditions

• rushcreek

Hey IDO team…I’m headed up to the Cromwell area this weekend. Does anybody have a report on the ice conditions for the Cromwell or Mcgregor area. Want to know if the ice is safe to drive on. Thanks for any help.

sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

I did see some people driving last weekend on the area lakes. (McGregor) I also was out and had some very chunky ice coming up through the holes. If I had a wheeler I would bring it!

Charles

I would feel safe on the lakes up here for walking at least, it has been cold up here this week.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

Even with the cold temps this week (supposed to be -9 tomorrow morning in Cloquet), I am seeing creeks opening up and there is no way I’d be driving my truck on the ice this weekend. It was 52 at home on Sunday, and all that water flowing is rotting the ice from underneath. Just my .02

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Even with the cold temps this week (supposed to be -9 tomorrow morning in Cloquet), I am seeing creeks opening up and there is no way I’d be driving my truck on the ice this weekend. It was 52 at home on Sunday, and all that water flowing is rotting the ice from underneath. Just my .02

I was in the area the last weekend of Feb and the upper reaches of the West Branch of the Kettle were open (west of Cromwell). This portion commonly has lily pads so it’s slow moving. You could tell the lakeshores had melt overflow didn’t appear to be soft with the spud bar. My hopes were foot travel would be fine this upcoming weekend.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

I’m thinking foot travel is fine, but truck travel, well not for this guy.
    We haven’t been above freezing since Tuesday afternoon, and wont be again til middle of next week.
    I think you’ll find alot of the surface water froze down, make sure you have ice cleats tho, gonna be pretty slick out there. Good Luck!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.