afton area report, or lack thereof….

• mike t
    St Paul, MN

Quick ice conditions report for this part of the river.

Went sunday out of the troy landing area, needed to not only satisfy some curiousity on the ice conditions but also check and see if some of the late fall spots were accessible and holding fish. We started on the point north of the landing and worked water from 25′ to 50′ along the break heading south, ending up about 200 yards from Catfish Bar and the open water. Couple observations: There’s quite a bit less ice on this pool, we averaged 4.5″ to about 8″ depending on where we punched. Good thing was it was good clear ice and posed no issues. There were also tons of shad in the deep water, generally we started seeing/snagging them in 40’+. I know there’s been debate on die off and temps, these were all healthy 4-6″ shad, looks like they may winter just fine in the deeper pools. We did get one small eye, but that was it for the efforts. Folks with knowledge of this area might consider some shallow water eye’s like Turks recent posts have touched on, there are a lot of big flats, breaks and points with potential.

Next area of exploration is afton state park for pike with tip ups. I’ve got a hunch it may be worth the mile walk…. I hate to say it, but bayport and the idea of potato chip crappies makes me sleepy.

mikeT

Charlie “Turk” Gierke
    Hudson Wisconsin

Mike,

I bet you are right about the pike and you should do well on the spot you are going to!

I talked about this earlier and my main point in saying this is I would hate for someone to get hurt or drown exploring one of the openwater ice fishing areas on the St. Croix. These places are generally hard to find and likely heard about on the internet from this site. The Afton area is dangerous in my opinion. Report on it if you really need to, but I think if people want walleyes or crappies badly that in-depthfishing.com has tons of places with great reports all across the site where the destinations are safe.

Guys fish where you want that’s your call but please don’t encourage others to go try an openwater spot through a report.

Sorry to come off like something but I’m a father and troubles do happen.

Keep Catchin’
    Turk

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.