Mother’s Day Morning fish

• sipple31
    West-Central WI

I got out this morning, launched from Prescott. I headed upstream a few miles to those rock cliffs on the Wisconsin side. The wind was blowin’ pretty good, so we drifted downstream with the assisted speed of the electric. We had two spinner rigs out, one with a crawler & one with a fathead. Varied depths from 10-25 feet of water. We fished the spinner rigs for 45 mins without a grab and switched to jigs. We then made the same drift but slowed ourself with the troller instead… still nothing!

We then motored back down to the no-wake zone and jigged amongst the crowds. There were way too many boats fishing there, but I was able to pull a single sauger that was sub 15 inches. Even though we only fished for 3 hours, I was still very disappointed in the bite. I wonder if the cold-front shut them down?

-Luke

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Sounds like my overall luck on the croix, but at least you were on the water Buddy!

Bring your fishin rod’s to work and let’s get out!

Pete

waleyangler
    woodbury,mn

had a blast out there yesterday. caught around 40 with about 90% being walleyes which was a turnaround for the year compared to the cigar saugs. everything we used worked. we never left the no wake zone well we did but it was just to go up for another troll. we started the day at 230 and pulled up to the point and started lindy rigging. i caught the first fish of the day a solid nice 19 in eye and a keeper saug. that bite died down so we started to troll. we trolled the wing dams and picked up our next 6 keepers doing that. and switched back to lindy rigging and caught a couple more. dad thought the bite would be bad so thats y we got out so late but i told him they would be snappin. as far as presentation same as last week. lindy) 3/8 or 1/2 oz sinker, snap swivel, 18 in – 4 ft vanish leader, northland floaterswith minnows and crawlers or slow death hooks with crawlers. trolling) 8 lb fireline, let out as much line you think your going to knick the bottom, and bright walley divers.

key points!!!!!!

lindy rigging

let out alot of line dont need to stay vertical,any little tick you feel set the hook, go to the first wingdam that is marked and head to the point and reel in a little bit when coming over the unmarked wing dam, 9-15 fow

trolling!!!!

going down stream dont let as much line out you will get snagged. most fish come while trolling upstream, troll the tips and the washouts on the backsides and youhould get bit, stay in 8- 16 fow..

hope this helps,

waleyhuntr51

sipple31
    West-Central WI

waleyhuntr: that sounds like a fun time! If I would have had more time today I would have hit the wing-damns to get away from the zoo wake zone. I wonder if they were feeding before the cold front came through?

Pete: I actually forgot my rod & tackle-box in Menom, so i’m ready to go once or twice this week! I had to borrow the old man’s stuff today.

-Luke

sipple31
    West-Central WI

haha opposite end of the spectrum there! Nice fish!

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

Great post Sean, way to catch a bait with a bait…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.