July 19- St. Croix Smallie Report

• Faribault
    Faribault, MN

My first time out on the Croix turned out to be a dandy. Launched out of Hastings just west of Hwy 61. We fished for any hour or so on the Mississippi checking out some of the wingdams (first time I had ever fished a wingdam). Probably caught 4 short smallies. Traveled east to the St. Croix (First time ever on it) observing where I would fish first.

Started at the point where the Miss/Croix meet catching 2 fish on the Rip rap shore. Pretty gusty winds sent me further up river to explore. We fished the rock around the Bluffs Regional park, but could not fish much of the shoreline as a couple boats had beat me too it. We then traveled up through the no wake zone at the Kinni narrows to fish the rocky shoreline north of the Narrows on the Wisconsin side. Just hammered the smallies there. To finish up we fished the rip rap just to the south of the Narrows on the Wisconsin side. Again, catching a bunch. Nothing of any huge size, just nice 2 lb. fighters. Not sure how far we went total, but was wondering if we were close to any other good smallie spots. Thanks

fredbart
    St. Paul

what was your most successful technique and color? Depth, etc.

Faribault
    Faribault, MN

We were throwing strictly tubes. Seemed to like dark colors (black/red or black green). Usually rocky shoreline in 2-10 feet of water. Good luck

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.