River fishing is for the Opportunist!

• mike t
    St Paul, MN

Hey Folks,

Those of you with an interest in really getting on a hot bite right now need to bust out that fly rod and head to the river!

Here’s what’s going on. Last night we were south of the kinni doing a little muskie trolling and on a pass up the WI side we noticed the big mayflies coming off like mad, particularly near any overhanging trees. These were wither hex’s or very large brown drakes, regardless they were targets for hungry smallies and silvers. Time to ditch the muskie gear and cash in! We had 2 fly rods and a couple spinning rods with poppers, needless to say, we thumped um’! We worked shorelines below the kinni, found smallies up to 18″ (averaged 14-15′), silvers running about 2lbs per, I got a mooneye (line class state record on fly rod?????), BIG crappie and a rock bass. When it was over @ about 8:30, we didn’t discuss numbers of fish landed, but rather poundage. We estimated 150-200lbs of fish in about 2 hours, no kidding. We had dozens of triples at a time, for a while it was every cast.

The fly rod outproduced the spinning rod 2/1, white or chartruce were the hot colors. Making a commotion is the key. I’m not sure how long well see this hatch, I know I’ll be on it a few more times this week, some of you folks should as well!!

Mike T

eleclady

Hey Mike,
    Thanks for the tip. I had a couple of evenings out on the Croix north of the kinni last week with similar action. Mostly silver bass, nice size, and a smallmouth, some saugers & even a catfish. But the last time we spotted the silvers, they weren’t feeding on shads, & we couldn’t match the hatch. I was wishing I had a fly rod & some poppers

If I can get out on the water, I will. That solid fishing action is a blast.

eleclady

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.