Fishing Report – 1 February

• steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Carbon copy of yesterday. A beautiful day for ice fishing. Warm (32 degrees), no wind, cloudy. Fished from 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm. A fast and furious bite from 4:45 to 5:45 pm. Caught 4 small walleyes, none legal size. Hit a nice fish at 5:15 and he tangled me all to (@#!&) in my dead stick rod and the viexilar and then broke off – it took me 20 minutes to untangle and I missed a lot of the action. Caught 2 fish on my Dead Stick with a Glo Jig and Fathead and 2 fish on a Jigging Rap with a minnow head.

The trick is to get there early, get all set up and in position for the bite right at dark. It is a short but furious bite. I know there are some good fish mixed in with the tiny ones. You might get one or two keepers before they shut down. Bring an extra rod all rigged up in case you get tangled up so you don’t waste the bite re-rigging. I learned this the hard way. I was trying to go light – now that you can drive on the river, go ahead and bring the kitchen sink along.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

It wasn’t fast and furious on friday, but we did pick up a couple right at dusk. One 21 and 17. We tried to duplicate our fish in the cooler by going out this morning. Only put one 17 incher on ice before I had to go for the honeydew list.

The picture is of my neighbor, he normal goes after carp, but once in a while hooks into an eye!

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Brian – Were you fishing up in the Bayport/Hudson area or down around Lake St Croix? I’ve always wanted to get out on the ice in the Lake St Croix area but I have never seen anybody around down there. I’d like to get out on the mid lake hump but I have never seen anybody out there. How is the ice in the Lake St Croix area?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I noticed a differance in the thickness from Fri night to Sat. morning. Because of the stream that flows in, you need to know where your going. It was around 9 inches this morning.

has
    Hudson, WI

Brian,

Nice pic of Kevin with those walleyes. We headed out there again last night with not much to show for our efforts. Only a couple small walleyes and we also snaged a couple carp. Talk to Kevin, i think were go head out on Monday night again.
    Erik

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Nice catchin’!!! Looks like they’re eatin’ good!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.