St. Croix Update part 2

• walzer
    Afton, MN

Fished this past Thursday and Friday on the St. Croix. The white bass have been hammering the minnows lately, and last week I actually got tired of reeling in so many white bass, I decided to go without the minnows this week and pull cranks on three ways. It turned out to be a pretty good decision. I fished for about 4 hours on Thursday and managed about 20 walleyes. The action was pretty steady, working the middle to the top of a big break at 1.0 – 1.3 MPH. Made it out Friday, all day, expecting about the same results, only to find the fish weren’t thinking the same way I was. The morning started out pretty slow, using the same methods as Thursday. We hopped around spots a bit, until we came across this point that I wanted to check out. We pulled in roughly a dozen nice eyes in the next couple of hours to brighten up the day.
    Top colors for the week were gold and silver.
    I noticed a couple of fish coughed up some minnows in the livewell. They were about 4″ shad, so if you’re using minnows down there, I wouldn’t be afraid to switch to some of the larger shiners.
    I’m sure I’ll be down there next week as well. Just a quick note, if you launch at Beanie’s, they closed down the bait shop for the year, but the launch is still open, it is now 5 dollars to launch.

Derek W.

walzer
    Afton, MN

A couple more nice St. Croix walleyes.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Nice fish guys. Thanks for the report and pics. And some great warmer weather and not much traffic to be out catching them on too.
    Thanks, Bill

walzer
    Afton, MN

Thanks Bill,
    The weather was great, and looks like it will be this week also. I was surprised there weren’t many people fishing this week, as compared to the prior week. I’ll be heading back out at the end of the week again. The last two weeks, the bite has been great, hopefully that will continue.

Derek W.

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

Walzer, what happened to the pics, I’m not able to view them? The appear red x’d. Thanks for the update on the fees at Beanies. I was wondering when the price would drop.

walzer
    Afton, MN

Instead of attatching the pics, I just put them in my post, so they appear with the text. Are you trying to view them from a work computer? Sometimes certain sites that pictures are stored on are blocked. I can see the pics from my home computer, but not a work computer. I think in my future posts I’ll just attatch the pics, that should take care of any problems.

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

Walzer, yes I am at work. I’ll check out the pics at home. Thanks for the info.

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

I was able to view those nice looking fish at home. Nice work Walzer!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.