slips on the ‘Croix

• steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Turk, Billy, or other ‘Croix riverrats:

Can anyone suggest where I can rent a slip for the summer on the ‘Croix? Just a 17 foot fishing boat. That may be a ridiculous question. Wondering if they are all for big cruisers or can a little guy get one?

I plan on doing 80% of my fishing there and it would be nice not to fight the crowds. Any private slips? Any info would be appreciated.

thanks

sandbar
    Woodbury, MN

SteveO,

I would suggest checking with the marinas around the Croix. Hudson, Afton, Bayport, Stillwater. I believe the Hudson marina has slips that are 22 feet in length, the only problem is trying to find one that is available. The Hudson rental prices are also expensive, $125.00 – $150.00 per foot/season.

There are a couple of smaller marinas north of the Stillwater bridge that may have slips available.

Dean

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

the Hudson prices are a little steeper than I want to pay. I thought if I could get one for around a grand it wouldn’t be so bad. maybe I’m barking up the wrong tree.

sandbar
    Woodbury, MN

SteveO,

King’s Cove on the Mississippi may be another alternative. I think they may have some slips in your price range. Although the location is not ideal for fishing the Hudson/Stillwater area.

Dean

bill mitchell

my advice would be to ask anyone you know that if they know anyone who lives on the river. Set up a phone call or something and throw a dollar figure at them. This is the most economical way, but also the most ground work. The cheapest marina I know about is still $1500 a year. Thats alot of launchs. Call beanies ask for dottie and inquire about renting a spot for your trailer, then you just put in the water. I dont know if they will go for this but its worth a shot.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

There was one in the St. Paul paper yesterday for $4600 per season!!! On the Croix!!!! Give me the money, and I’ll launch your boat whenever you want!!!

Tuck

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

I saw that ad. Ouch. I can get a Hudson resident launch pass, but I thought it would be nice to just drive down and get on the boat and go. I’ve got one more option. My boss knows a guy that has a dock. I may be able to keep it there.

ferny
    Stillwater, MN

Hey Steve O, You might want to try Rumpf’s marina in Stillwater. It’s kind of…well not as nice as all the other marina’s on the Croix. It’s just over the breakwall from Wolfs marina. You might also ask if you can put your boat right next to shore it’s usually too shallow for cruisers but OK for fishing boats.

Good Luck,

Ferny.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Steve,

As nice as it is to walk down, get in the boat, and go remember that a boat sitting in the water is a lot of work. If you don’t want to pay marina gas prices you get to haul gas. In the fall (and better more often) you get to pull the boat and clean a good layer of scum and gunk from the hull. Just a heads up from a guy who keeps two on a lift on the river.

Pete

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

I talked to the Marina in Hudson and they want $150.00/ft. If they had any available, which they don’t.

Ouch.

Doesn’t make much sense for me to keep it anywhere else.

thanks for the advice guys.

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Hey Steve, if you keep your boat in a slip just think of all the quality time that you wouldn’t have launching. Man you don’t want to miss any of that, plus if your anywhere near as lousy at backing up a rig as I am you’ll miss out on meeting all those people that want to help you launch. Boy if I could just use my 9N Ford, I can back that up even through the woods with a 20 foot wood hauling spreader on it. Oh well it won’t be long and I get to start practicing again.

todd_miller
    Houlton, WI.

Hey Steve,

Had a chance to get out and use the rods I bought from you. They sure are nice. Cant wait to land a piggie on one of them. Congrats on the new boat. I am sure we will see each other on the croix this summer. Do you have a gps unit? If so maybe we could compare waypoints and such.

Todd

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Red Rock,

glad you like them. wait til you hook up with nice one on that custom St Croix! I bought my house from the VP of Sales from St Croix and he said the blank that was used on that rod is of very high quality.

I haven’t invested in a GPS. I’ll just have the normal locator on it. What do you think of the hand held units?

let’s chat when the season opens and compare notes. I plan on being out exploring a lot of water.

I know you bought a boat also and hope you have much luck in the upcoming season.

todd_miller
    Houlton, WI.

the hand held units are great from what I can tell. I am going to buy one next week.I will look for you once the season opens. We can swap honey holes. Until then how about Red Wing?

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Red Rock, check your PM

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.