Lower st croix Smallies??

• hosejr

I have been fishing the lower part of the croix the last few weeks and I have done less than stellar. been just throwing a wacky rig and raps.on any rocky shorline I can find. Boating a few fish a day. I know there is fish down thier but I am new to both river fishing and smallmouth fishing but I am loving it. Any help will be greatly appriciated. Im not asking for you to give up your honey hole or anything but if you could send me the GPS coordinantes that would be great Just kidding.

Thanks Will!

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

No expert but this time of the year they aren’t on the banks but probably suspended in deep water. There are always some while trolling for walleye. If you find humps, sunken islands in deeper water you may have luck there. I don’t target them much now until fall

briansmude

Throw tubes at current seams, leading-edges of eddies and any kind of current breaks. Smallies like current but they feed on bait that doesn’t like current.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

There’s still smallie’s in the Croix ?

hmmm….

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

There is a point on the WI side south of Afton called Black Bass Bar. I wouldn’t be afraid to try that spot for bass. I’ve caught bass on that point in the past. There are lots of points just like Black Bass that I’ve also caught bass on (Catfish Bar, Kinni Narrows). Early in the year, the bass are usually up shallow. I’m not sure about now. I don’t fish for those green fish. Good luck.

d-train

Quote:

No expert but this time of the year they aren’t on the banks but probably suspended in deep water. There are always some while trolling for walleye. If you find humps, sunken islands in deeper water you may have luck there. I don’t target them much now until fall

I troll crankbaits almost exclusively when I fish the Croix, and I don’t remember the last time I’ve caught a smallie. Definitely not this year.

I do however catch all sorts of rough fish when I try rigging crawlers, smallies included

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Don’t ask me this year. I haven’t caught one over 15″.

jiggin-rake
    inver grove heights, minnesota

Pool 2 the smallies are shallow by rocky areas in the shade. Guessing it shouldn’t be too much different on the Croix but who knows.

jetdriver
    Hudson WI

Talked to a couple guys leaving North Hudson who said they had caught some over 15 this morning.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I fished them for about 20 minutes last Thu evening. Rock shores throwing a craw colored swim jig with plastic craw trailer. I had 3 missed hits, 1 loss and 1 15 incher. I’d say they can be caught on the shoreline. They definitely like crawfish imitations.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

There are always some small fish shallow. Humps, sunken islands in deeper water would be a better option imho.

hosejr

went out tuesday morning. It was the best smallmouth trip i have had on the river yet. Nothing huge 2 over 15′ but about 50 around 12-14″ even had a nice pike and 2 walleye. one walleye measured 21″ witch I hear is pretty good for the croix the other was 16″. started the day throwing wackey rigs but had most of the success on just a jig and 3″ grub. Most fish caught in 15-17 FOW. Did will from 0600 until we got off the water at 1200.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

BAM!!! Sweet!!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.