open water on the upper croix….

• rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

The croix from Osceola to Taylors falls is fairly open right now…. finally seems to have reopened after all the cold weather…. I doubt I will be out on it yet… eye season is closed…. but I bet I could get into some crappies right now… and the whites should be running pretty soon…… the last I drove by the osceola launch there was a small ice shelf there… but I suspect its gone by now… or tommorrow……

bigtime
    North Carolina

Any new happenings to report on the open water status on the croix. I come home next week and am getting anxious to get out fishing

thor
    Hudson WI

no new news to report, alot of ice breaking loose north of the railroad bridge floating down the channel (near hudson), i dont think its boatable yet.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

its pretty open up here I think.. the Taylors falls to Oceola run anyway…..

BigBass
    Hudson & Chetek, WI

It is opening up here in Hudson area and stretching past the first ben. Looking good!

thor
    Hudson WI

the sooner the better!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Put my boat in at Fronconia on saturday. First trip on the criox for this year. Lots of ice floating down river. Waters up a little bit. Nothing even close to last year. I tried for crappies at rock island and a few other holes but not much bitting yet. They must still be in the ice covered back waters.

It was a nice ride on saturday thou. Only boat on the river. I’ll have to try again this weekend. I’ll check some water temps this time.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

right in my back yard there Mike!!… I would THINK the crappies are still in that deep hole by the rock island….. but maybe they have moved to find shallow warming water……

did you pick up any fish on the finder? usually they are stacked up in that hole….

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Yes the fish were stacked up in there. What they were, I dont know yet. I fished the edge of the back water just up stream from rock island. marked a lot of suspended fish but no bitters. I thought maybe those crappies would be hanging out on the edge of the ice self there. 4 weeks ago I saw a some nice crappies coming out of the back water in Osceola. 4′ of water.

I’m heading for hidden falls on thursday, and Red wing on friday. I might try to get back to fronconia over the weekend. Just can’t bet being the only boat on the water up the there, and I know once the water temps come up a little the fish should start jumping.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

I was fishing up there quite a bit in the fall… for me I fished jigging spoons right on the break where the river drops into the deep hole… most of the fish were sitting in 20-30 feet at that time… I caught everything, including crappies….. but I saw more crappies being caught over towards the rock cliff… and there were some people setting up towards the tail of the hole where it came up out of the deep water.. and Im pretty sure they were after crappies too……

so was the Osceola backwater you spoke of the one thats up river of the highway? Ive seen guys in there all winter and I was wondering if they were getting anything or not… this is the first year Ive seen them keep at it… the last few years they would try it and not come back… so I assume SOME fish were being caught there this year…… and one of the locals told me that in the fall they were catching some truly large crappies out of that backwater spur that is south of the park and runs into the Croix at the point……. but I have never checked it out… and some of the stories Ive been told by “locals” are suspect… like one where a guy told me they caught and released a 50″ northern Pike out of the hole by the Rock Island.. I would have to be seeing that to believe it…. thats an enormous Northern… a Musky perhaps…. but a Northern? I did catch 2 smaller musky out of that hole in the fall…..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.