St Croix forecasted for No Wake 1:00am 4 May

• steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

St Croix is forecasted to be at 683 feet at 1:00 am on 4 May which is the Opener. At 683 feet the river is an automatic No Wake. I got a feeling this opener is going to be a crazy one.

I was out last night until 2100 and the water temp was 46 degrees and there was a lot of grass floating in the current. About every 5 minutes you had to reel up and clear your line. I did manage one small 22″ channel cat. My Twins let me down again but they sure scared Nathan and the Rangers in the 9th. Couldn’t quite pull out a come back win.

I just checked the St Croix water temp and it is 50 degrees right now. Up 4 degrees since yesterday. That will wake up the cats.

Charlie “Turk” Gierke
    Hudson Wisconsin

50 degree water temp. I am surprised by that as pool 4 was just 43 on Friday. That is good news of water temp being that warm though, glad to hear it.

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

I hope the cats wake up soon, sonnys blood and some secret 7 both struck out for me earlier today on the croix.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Salmo – Try a nightcrawler with a small piece of cut bait. Sometimes a combo will get them interested.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

I had 38 to 41degrees on pool the 3 last couple days

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers river gage at the Stillwater Lift Bridge is reading 51 degrees right now. I am hoping that is accurate – I’ll be going out later this afternoon and I will check it against my sonar.

Here is the link to the Stillwater river level gage – this is the gage they use for No Wake determinations: St Croix River Level Gage

sippiriverrat
    Andover MN.

50 degree’s sounds good, I was afraid the fish were going to be spawning on opener.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Maybe not spawning but Im hoping there will still be a lot of fish up river on opener. Could use a few walleyes for the frying pan.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

River gage is reading right. I ran out to the main channel just outside of Boomsite Marina and the water temp on my sonar was 52 degrees. Man – that wind was bad and making some mean whitecaps. I turned right around and went back into the Marina. Weather tomorrow sounds much better – I’ll watch the Twins on TV this afternoon instead of fighting the wind on the boat.

396ranger
    Cottage Grove MN

I was out yesterday shaking the cob webs out of the boat and did not see to much junk in the water. Launched out of the bluffs park and went north past the Kini.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Updated river forecast is for 683 feet at 7pm on Friday, 3 May. Significant cool down is in the forecast from Wednesday through next weekend. Lows at night into the low 30’s. Fishing could be tough for the opener.

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Quote:

Updated river forecast is for 683 feet at 7pm on Friday, 3 May. Significant cool down is in the forecast from Wednesday through next weekend. Lows at night into the low 30’s. Fishing could be tough for the opener.

I remember rain and more rain at last years opener. Fish still cooperated which made tolerating the rain easier.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

My biggest problem with no-wake is all he people that dont follow it. Granted many may not be on top of things like we all are and it does take some effort to find out. There are so few landings on the river I dont see why this cannot be posted at the landings? I’ve had good fishing on no-wake openers before. But with limited mobility you have to pick your area well because going from Hudson to Presocott is not happening. Of course those few that attend the GTG will have all the info they need as always.

buck-slayer

I would think that there will be extra enforcement this weekend. Where else are they going to patrol.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

There are so few landings on the river I dont see why this cannot be posted at the landings?

I thought it was?

Windmill pulls out a sign informing customers before they launch.

Topic for GTG discussion…High water tricks that old timers taught me about the St Croix and it’s walleyes. I think I know where those notes are.

dbright
    Cambridge

I was expecting the water to come up but not as much as it has flow last Tues was a little over 5000 CFS checked this morning and it’s at 16,700cfs. Think I’ll be heading north of the kettle and snake.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

i was out yesterday. went out of lakefront. the docks were not in. it has gone up significantly today. i don’t think i could launch and load alone today there without getting very wet. at 3:45 yesterday I had 52 surface temps south of the 94 bridge and up to 55 north up by Stillwater. very little debris but I did see some bigger logs so keep your eyes peeled. i did not fish but i would think some of the known crappie spots would be producing. good feeling when you take your boat out after 6 months of storage and everything work!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

For possibly the first time ever my boat will only be driveway tested before I launch Sat. I plan to pull it out of storage tomorrow.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Topic for GTG discussion…High water tricks that old timers taught me about the St Croix and it’s walleyes. I think I know where those notes are.

Considering all the combined knowledge at the GTG My biggest concern after attending is what batter I plan to use on the fresh eyes Sunday.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Mike
    You can launch for free at lakefront but I would bring chest waders if alone. Or at least hip boots

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Mike
    You can launch for free at lakefront but I would bring chest waders if alone. Or at least hip boots

Launching at secret spot, checkpoint charlie. See you on the water Sat??

rugs
    Hastings, MN

Am I reading this right….is it saying that it might stay just a shade below the dreaded 83′?? If so, have you ever seen them slap the no-wake on for being so close?

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Looks like it is only suppose to hit 82.7 feet now. It sure would be nice if the Hudson Landing is closed that it isn’t no wake too.

Croix River Levels

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

nope
    see you thursday. fishpalooza on the WI river down by the dells. water high there too. may have to fish Lake delton

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

The level is pure science. Its either 83 or above or its not. They dont open and close no-wake. Its up to every individual to figure it out. Many dont.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Will be interesting to see how many people show up. On one hand, many lakes in WI and MN still have ice. On the other hand with the rain and (gulp) snow forecasted, it will almost certainly be no wake and launch options might be limited.

ET

Paul Heise
    River Falls, Wi

GOOD NEWS! Projection has dropped to only 682.5! Keep your fingers crossed guys and gals!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

That is good news. With limited launches we need some speed to fish more than one area.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.