Lake Edith access.

• 1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

There has been some discussion on accessibility to this lake.

Denial of access by county or town can not over seed state statute. Making it inaccessible by no parking is fine until changed.

If there is a state statute that includes these waters that are denied access please present the statute. I can not believe the state would take the time to designate this water off limits.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Which lake Edith? 3 in the state of WI? If its land locked by private land, not much the state can do unless an easement is granted.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

I am sorry Randy I’m speaking of the lake in Afton.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

BK. I know of what you are saying. It Contradicts what a DNR biologist that does research on river,lakes,ponds,and slough holes and what he has to encounter as for research for the DNR and research for a private citizen. I speak with the person frequently.

This will be tested this upcoming bug and larvae harvest season this fall if not earlier.

Like I said county and town can not supersede state. The DNR has been well known as to be mouth pieces for local Gov with out actually showing precedent or statute.

Yes, I will let you know so you can film it. I am that confident. Why not a DNR biologist will be by my side.

mudlizard
    st. marys pt. MN

City of afton owns the road, so no access.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

…and no parking.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Quote:

Wrong, its a public right of way that must abide by state laws there for it goes back to towns or counties can not instill laws above state laws.

Put it this way can Afton post a 70 mph speed limit on that road if they wanted to?

rapalafisherman
    St. mary's point/Bemidji, MN

I my self have talked to the police about it multiple times, the city owns that right away, so no you can not access that lake unless u land a plane on there or run a boat with a mud motor up the creek. The muddshark landed a plane on there. That whole community around that lake is a god damn cult, and they don’t want any one on there

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

I know someone who lives on that lake. Some of the stories I have heard would make you understand why they don’t want people out there. Two sides to every thing

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Quote:

I know someone who lives on that lake. Some of the stories I have heard would make you understand why they don’t want people out there. Two sides to every thing

I hear this same response for every semi-“private” lake I know about. This is fundamentally wrong and the only reason that they have issues is because they work so hard to resist. Everyone would like a private lake, but by law the only way this is possible is if one owner owns all the property surrounding that body of water. If not, you own lakeshore on a PUBLIC body of water. You can’t change that.

Even docks on a public lake are a grey area where lakeshore owners are putting their property on a public water.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

This person is someone I know well. I have permission to fish it any time. I may try it to see what the hub bub is all about. About being “fundamentally” wrong as long as the law is what it is and you don’t have access to a float plane don’t worry about it.

bill mitchell

just to stir the pot..i fished that lake for years as a kid and young adult..we would walk a mile or so through the woods and walk down a trail to the lake… we would then walk the small lake all the way around in the water casting..good times…i personally caught hundreds of huge bass and sunnies and crappies out of there..my best friend growing up, has a 7lb bass on the wall from “mays” lake..the lake still is excellent for fishing..in the years following i secured permission from a lake shore owner..he in turn was threatened and vanadalism occured to his place ..from owners i would imagine…because he let people access the lake through his propertey..long story short its a problem thats being going on long before you guys even new that lake was there and before websites exploited every little hidden lake thin..i personally havent been out there for quite a few years but i still know a friend who lives out there and its got some big a#* bass in it..the ice fishing for pannies can be oustanding as well…there take that lake owner nazis..

rapalafisherman
    St. mary's point/Bemidji, MN

Being as young as i am i have had the good fortune to fish it a few times as well with the permission from a nice lady, but she has sold or has been trying to sell the house and since then i have not been able to fish it, when i did fish it with a buddy the large mouth fishing was amazing, the few times i did get out there i will never forget, the thing that pains me the most, is that most if not all of the property owners around the lake hardly ever if never fish the lake (atleast from what ive seen). If a person even slows down by that lake and are spotted it can mean trouble. i guess it just sucks when that great of a fisherie is off limits because of “nazi” property owners

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I “heard” there’s a proporty for sale on the lake.

I believe they are asking $169,000.00.

Not much of a house but a great place for a private launch.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Quote:

…and no parking.

Just like that trout stream there none of us can fish.

rugs
    Hastings, MN

anyone check out the bucket mouth in pic #17 on the listing?

mudlizard
    st. marys pt. MN

If you are so sure about what you speak of, go to a afton concil meeting. They will tar and feather you, I have known about this lake since 1970. all the landowners have a agreement only family gets in the gate. I am friends with one of the landowners father, drive by and stop on the road by the lake sometime.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

If I’m wrong I’m sure I’ll do some hard time over this. But, thanks for the heads up I’ll bring protection when I stop by.

Its turning into the OK Corral showdown.

shale
    Stillwater, MN

I also remember it as Mays. I ice fished it a couple times when I could pass as a kid to some landowners in the late 80s. Give it public access and that little thing would get drained in one season.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Give it public access and that little thing would get drained in one season.

Not unlike Powers over in Woodbury when that opened up.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Agreed. I would rather it stay private and mythical than public and picked clean.

Charlie “Turk” Gierke
    Hudson Wisconsin

Quote:

Agreed. I would rather it stay private and mythical than public and picked clean.

Well put..not sure why but i agree with Suz’s quote here…

bill mitchell

Quote:

Quote:

Give it public access and that little thing would get drained in one season.

Not unlike Powers over in Woodbury when that opened up. [/quotamen to that bk..we used to slide a canoe under the road and fish that lake and hunt it..great walleye fishing and pannies..houses came and ..poof..its a dead sea except for little , stunted fish

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Bill, when the lake first opened up a friend of mine asked where he should go fishing over the weekend. I suggested Powers.

I was fishing it frequently at that time.

On Sunday he called me to thank me for the advice. He pulled in a 10 pound walleye…he claimed.

I heard the dnr was using it for a stocking pond at one time but never thought much of it.

sawdust
    st. paul, mn

Powers was your typical untouched lake, we never kept anything because we knew we would be back. Then the neighborhoods started to creep closer and soon there was a new road with a clear view of the lake. I showed up one day and some guy was parading his 4-6 lb bass around, telling me he was headed to the bait store to brag. I tried to ask him to not do that but… The lake quickly declined from there. There is a very shallow lake to the North and I believe that was the rearing pond. Years before the old farmer told me him and his buddies swiped some walleyes from there and took them to Powers (named after the department store owner who had his summer home there). Once the building got closer the water quality quickly declined. A diver showed up on day, he was writing a book on the decline of water quality in the metro area. He found a fence post with 10′ of water on top of it. I had lost another gem of a puddle.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Thanks for the correction and the history.

d-train

Let’s just throw in a bucket of zebra mussels. Problem solved!

Oops sorry wrong thread, this is the one where we’re all ok with keeping the lake private. I’m a little slow. Must be my low post count.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Let’s not say all…but some are ok with it.

A person can only fight so many fights.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.