Gander Guide Series spinning reels

• steveo
    W Central Sconnie

I looked/priced a couple of these reels yesterday. Smooooth with 10 ball bearings and wood handle. They retail for around 80 bucks. Does anyone own one of these? I’m going to pick one up for a new rod that I have. A guide who’s opinion I respect highly recommends them.

Any thought?

Charlie “Turk” Gierke
    Hudson Wisconsin

I thought you were going to handicap yourself and go Cane Poleing considering your skills – you said you needed a challenge!

Turk

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Turk!

you walleye catchin’ machine. You know most of my river skills were learned by being in your boat a few times!

P-Pounder says HEY! He’s coming up in May. We might have to get together for a few laughs.

In fact, your muskie buddy highly recommended this reel and we both know who he works for! It looks and feels like a nice piece of equipment.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

I bought one of the reels. I found out that Daiwa manufactures it for them. I bought the 2500 Series and married it up with a Legend Elite. What does Crestliner say? “The walleye are toast”!!!

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I know that the makers of Tica reels were once affiliated with Diawa but unsure of the present relationship. I have a Tica SA3000 (one size up from the 2500) and I can tell you that the shape, construction, design,…………all of it is identical to the GM reels………..I’ve looked at the 2500 myself………..just wasn’t sure I needed it for anything.

I have used the 3000 on 2 outings and I got into some nice slab crappies while on one of them and everything seemed just fine. Haven’t had any river “monsters” get a hold of it yet to really give it a workout but so far I’m pretty pleased with it.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Kid,

the Sedona 4000 seemed a little big (to me) for that rod. I’m having a medium/heavy custom made St Croix rod built for that reel. The Elite I’m going to use exclusively for walleye. It’s a SWEET rod.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I was thinking that and if I remember right, shared that thought with you but I figured I couldn’t decide for you and didn’t push it. Around here, I’ve been able to see how many different styles and preferences there can be on any one given topic and just thought, “He knows what he likes” and rolled with it. I’m not a bit surprised that you’ve chosen a new reel for that Elite………….it deserves the sweetest equipment you can fit her up with! If that GM gives you any trouble, try out a Sedona 2000 RA…………phenomenally balanced packeage!

What are you using for the custom……………an Avid blank or another Elite? For custom pricing, I’d get into at least an Avid and if built right, you won’t hardly notice a difference between that and an Elite.

thor
    Hudson WI

sort of off the topic but i had to mention this…i couldnt believe my eyes when on fri (today) about 1130am i saw 2 boats on the croix!….just when i thought i was the only psyco die hard ! ……well a lesson learned to someone who just moved up here!

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Were they south of the interstate bridge or north in the channel? Not to mention, I hope whoever it was they were only after panfish…………..wallemeyes (and almost every other fish) are closed until May 4th on the Croix!

Things that make you say, “Hmmmm…………”.

thor
    Hudson WI

who knows what they were fishing for…..they were just south of the 94 bridge at hudson.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Kid,

there’s a guy in Stillwater that builds them. He uses St Croix blanks but I don’t know what level. I bought my house from the V.P. of Sales at St Croix. I have 2 (er, 1 other rod he built, I sold the other one to Red Rock Eyes) and he looked at them. He says they are a older blank, but excellent quality.

I buy them for about the same price as the Premiers, but he puts higher grade guides and does special color schemes that I like. (Green and Gold, what does that remind you of?)

The muskie rod he built me is top notch and the ML rod was killer.

Charlie “Turk” Gierke
    Hudson Wisconsin

Steve OOOOO,

What green and gold? I thought you admitted the Packer colors are truly green and Yellow?! ha! Anyway, I can’t wait for summer this weather is dragging onnnnnnnn…. Pool four is great but I like the St. Croix river for water and the atmosphere better.

I’m really looking forward to this next season, I think well have an OK spring bite with a bit more snow cover. East central MN recieved some decent snows this month and I’d geuss 2/5th of the Croix flow starts from those tributaries up there…

I’m looking to raise the bar on the smallmouth this year!

Other goals any one?

Keep Catchin’

Turk

JimW
    SE MN

Goals you say?

A day on the Croix with Turk, where I don’t jinx the fishing, fish in less than 100 degrees and catch a Croix walldog worth smiling about!!!! A nice cat would be nice as well! HOW’S THAT?

Jim W

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

I’ll hit Pool 4 a few times this year, but I really gained an appreciation for the ‘Croix through fishing with Turk and roaming the banks for the three years I’ve lived here. I caught 2 walleyes that were pushing the 24″ mark and 2 or 3 smallies that were over 18″ from shore last year. Nice.

My #1 goal is going to be hanging a muskie from the old lady.

She gave up a couple of nice ones last year.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

so Turk… your raising the bar on smallies?…

do you mind if I LOWER the boom on the wallies??

going to have to fight through the pesky smallies that “infest” the waters up here…. but I just have to think there might be a nice fish or two hanging around…. heck I even had to fight through a few odd musky and northern last fall too….. even crappies for heavens sake!!….. *sheese*

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

At least you didn’t have to fight a Pup for ’em! :O) So, how many other fish do you have to catch to “ruin” your day? LOL!

You crack me up! You’re the only guy I know, who goes out hunting for walleyes, parks over a hole infested with smallmouth, and then complains that he can’t get away from them!!! Whadda Booob! :O)

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

yeah I was wretched!!… and whats worse I did not catch a single sheephead!! just piles and piles of smallies….. it was HORRIBLE!! I cried for hours afterwords because of the trauma done to my sensitive pysche! almost had to go to counseling…. *shudder*…..

its had to believe that the allow fish like smallies in there!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.